In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

guns go off at random?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
quote:"I really don't feel that safe with guns. They can randomly shoot even if they weren't preparing to shoot and one of my friends might get hurt and I don't want that to happen," said third grader Samantha Romero.

quote:Dr. Raymond said she contacted child protective services Tuesday and filed a formal complaint against the nine-year-old's parents for child abuse on the basis that the boy had access to a loaded gun.

from an article about a 9 y o bringing a gun to school

http://wndu.com/news/022004/news_24146.php

avitar.jpg
Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Sheesh....is there no end...no light at the end of the tunnel of stupidity? I guess my dad should have been arrested 2000x over. Since when I was 9 years old I had access to over 800 firearms, at home and in his gunshop.

In fact...I was allowed to go home...pick out any gun I wanted to shoot, providing we had ammo for it and step on the back poarch and fire away. I have had guns misfire and malfunction from time to time but they never randomly just went off in a gun cabinet...yea a gun cabinet.....with glass....totally insecure, unlocked and breakable, sheesh I guess I should be dead or something.

I hate liberal anti-gun trash that spews this crap.

aliens.jpg
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    There is a problem here. Actually there are several problems here. I am not sure if there is a solution. my 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Allow me to qualify my statement, as I am not as articulate as some here:

I do believe that the parents are responsible for the kids actions.....however, I don't believe it qualifies as child abuse. The child just wasn't taught properly and that is the parents fault, but I don't believe they should be arrested and put through the family destruction process that is social services. My father taught me to respect firearms...I didn't bring them to school I didn't kill anybody in anger or by accident, the child just needs to be taught this.

And I also hate the liberal trash spewed like "I really don't feel that safe with guns. They can randomly shoot even if they weren't preparing to shoot and one of my friends might get hurt and I don't want that to happen". That is pretty much what the anti-gunners want everybody to believe, they want the fear they want the images of every gun owner accidentally shooting somebody.

aliens.jpg
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's clear that third grader Samantha has already had her brain well washed. Isn't it comforting to note that liberals have a third grade mentality on gun control? She enunciates their standard "position" perfectly. "Guns just randomly shoot even when they weren't preparing to." Yes, and the teapot sings and dances with the candlestick... Heehehehehehe.... Liberals...

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you guys mean? My gun just randomly goes off... Oh wait, we're talking about firearms! [:I][:D][:0]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    About 7 years ago my little brother came home from elementary school and found me cleaning my guns at the table. He proceeded to tell me that, "Guns were bad," and "Be careful or they'll go off." I was rather amazed I had thought my dad and I had done an adequate job of exposing my younger (7 year old) brother to firearms. I proceeded to ask him where he got these ideas? And he explained that his teachers at school had told them about how "Dangerous" guns were. My dad and I had a long talk and started being more proactive about inviting hiim to the range with us, and getting more actively involved in hunting and other activities. My brother is a lucky one, we have succeeded in getting him unbrainwashed. While he is yet to become as good a shot as I was at his age, he at least knows safety and enjoys comign to the range with us. But it really bothers me that the people teaching our kids, (or siblings in my case,) are so anti-gun. Instead of demonizing firearms, wouldn't it make more sense for schools to integrate the NRA's Eddie Eagle program? Teaching safety and responsibility are the only real solutions.
    OK rant ended

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    We are living in a sad world that's for sure. We can only keep trying and do what we can do and hope for the best.

A friend of mine who is a high school science teacher constantly brings his students with us hunting or fishing. I believe this year we had 20 maybe 22 different school students go with us at various times.

Cannot say this enough: Guns do not kill people, People do.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Once, a co-worker at the office was moving my car for me, so the plows could remove snow. I was busy, so my colleague went to my office and reached into my coat pocket for the keys (not the pocket I sent him to), touching the curved grip of my .38. I later overheard him whining, "Eeeuuu! It was like touching a snake!" Too bad it didn't bite him at random.
    He was my immediate supervisor and that same day sideskirted the blame for his phobia: "There are those here who don't want guns in the building." I immediately ignored that.
    He was soon gone from the company. But not missed.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    "RANDOM" is the problem. If his name happens to be "RANDOM" and he's in my house uninvited... Then there's a certain assurance that my gun will go off at "RANDOM" if he doesn't do exactly as ordered.

Otherwise, I've lived through 55 years and never suffered the results of one of my guns loading itself up and starting to shoot. Fact is, mine are pretty much like hammers... They just sit there unless they're picked up and put to a job.

Now maybe those "smart" guns...

Nord
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had some down state metros for an overnight during the Christmas holidays this past year and this issue came up. My firends's wife was quite concerned for her safety and the safety of their 6 yearold son with my gun collection being stored in the house.

My friend's wife asked me if I was ever afraid or concerned about those guns going off and killing someone. I answered her with a very serious tone and look on my face by saying that I was quite concerned that's why I keep them in an UL approved steel safe and only remove them when the house is vacant and I am wearing my Kevlar vest. Thank God, she said with a releived look on her face.

She also asked if my guns were licensed and registered with the police department. I horrified her when I informed her that we had no police department within 20 miles and no guns were neither licensed or registered. [:)]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!