In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Firearm portrayal in Hollywood. Fiction vs.reality

Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I think most folks here are like minded patriotic Americans who believe firmly that the 2nd ammendment separates us in a unique manner from other nations and is necessary as a safeguard against tyrrany as well as the recreational reasons we all share.
I often think about how the Hollywood anti gun nuts portray firearms in films and shake my head. Although the directing and producing community is not 100% dominated by them, I think at times they objectify firearms as evil and shift responsibility from the villain to the inanimate object, which is the first sign of insanity.
The most recurring object of irritation is the constant firing without reloading and calling a gun something its not when the actor is holding it in his hand and you know its x or its function is y, but they are calling it -a- and its function is-y-. The supply of never ending ammo is ofcourse my pet peeve, and the use of cheap fireamrs with no jamming.
There are excellent films out there that I would highly recommend, they are by no way perfect, but have excellent portrayal and overall accurate depiction of firearms. They are as follows:

1. Saving Private Ryan.
2. Enemy at the Gates.
3. Tombstone.
and others.

Please tell me about your take on this.

Member: NRA,RFC, John Birch Society, American Numismatic Association.

Comments

• D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    They are movies not true documents.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to throw in the Rough Riders with Tom Berenger. Pretty accurate with their time frame of weapons and even explain them a little bit for the audience.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    D@D... gonna have to disagree with your sentiment there. The portrayal of guns and gun owners in popular entertainment today is akin to the shufflin' whistlin' black servants of yesteryear. It's a grossly inaccurate portrayal of reality that only serves to reinforce negative perceptions of our hobby and/or sport.

Let's take a look at most movies wherein guns play a vital role in the plot. Only rarely does anyone try to solve their problems with anything other than violence, ie, they shoot first and ask questions later. That is something that every mmber here would NEVER do. Yet the popular conception is that guns can fire billions of rounds a second, never run out of ammo, and are in the hands of inherently unstable and violent individuals.

With such an image burned into the minds of the public at large, is it any wonder that guns are feared and reviled? I know of very many otherwise very sensible people who don't even want to know ANYTHING about firearms because the very notion of them frightens them.

The misrepresentation of firearms and their owners is a Hollywood staple because it's easier than the truth: that guns are not all-empowering and all-conquering and require a great deal of training and care to use properly.

Hollywood perpetuates this myth of the omnipotent gun because even the laziest and most ignorant of writers can type down "And then the main character pulls out his M16 machine gun and blows all 100 bad guys away." Lots of explosions are easier to direct than decent dialogue or a good story. It makes their jobs easier.

And because Hollywood is so lazy, we, the gun owner, get painted as a nearly psychotic rage-filled individual whose first instinct is to kill whatever's annoying us, the law be damned. But hey, it's only a movie, right?
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I never heard anyone coming out of a theater crying about just cause of that movie guns are evil. Total BS don't blame the movies.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Concur about Rough Riders. Director John Milinus (sp) was a gentleman about getting the weapons right. He is a shooter himself.

There are exceptions to everything and it would be wrong to paint everyone in Hollywood (remember Charlton Heston?) with the same brush just like it would be wrong to say everyone here is a pinko or nitwit.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few movies portray things in an accurate light because the would be BORING and not make for good entertainment.

Other than movies mentioned above ... the old Spaghetti westerns came close to at least being realistic with respect to the firearms (dare I say weapons???)

Sure we could name a lot of movies that were reasonably realistic, but if we did what percentage would that be of all the movies made? Pretty small I bet...

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Add 'Band of Brothers' and 'The Lost Battalion' to the list of realistic war movies.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I am no expert on Hollywood. In fact, I rarely watch movies or television. When I am surfing channels, it seems like every other station has some idioc movie showing some moronic actor diving about 12 feet vertically, firing an automatic weapon the whole time! What is even worse is when the hero actually out runs machinegun fire. This kind of crap is what influences feeble & guilable minds and is largely responsible for the negativity connected with firearms today. How else do you explain people being against something that most have no experience with?

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add The Wind and the Lion and Unforgiven to the list of films accurately depicting firearms in film. Plus Tom Selleck's western flims in general.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    This is a first, I agree with ElMuertoMonkey![:0][:0]

Actually I thought that what you said was right on the money and I agree 100%[:D][:D]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to watch it when they have a nice MP-5 (or whatever) and when it is empty, they throw it down on the concrete or something. I have been known to wince at those scenes. Ouch. [:0]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another thing about the movies is that the bullets never miss (at least the good guy's). In reality, 90+% of shots miss what's being aimed at. People firing their weapons keep firing till they run out of ammo, and keep pulling the trigger out of panic, not knowing they are empty.

Of course, all these "miss" rounds end up somewhere, and sometimes kill bystanders, especially in things like gang drive-bys. This is also rarely seen in film.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quigley downunder is another film that the weapons are goods.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    I cant hit chit when I turn a Glock upside down. Maybe they should consider putting the sight on the underside of the handle, or on the side. That way gang members could really increase their accuracy.....[}:)]Guess that's the danger of learning to shoot from the movies. I'm more of an 'Enemy at the gates' kind of guy. Heck, i even breath into my coat to deer that are wary don't see the motion of my breath on a cold morning.

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like movie and television scenes where the pump action of a shotgun is continuously racked during various scenes as if the shotgun is showing how angry it is like a grizzly bear snapping it jaws.[:0]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elect1, I agree with ya about Selleck. He's actually a great 2nd supporter and is a stickler about accurately portrayed firearms in his movies.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    How come:
    When someone is shooting at a running target they are always hitting the ground behind his FEET?
    The last bullet from a spray always hits the post the guy is standing behind and never goes beyond?
    The guys hiding behind empty barrels (steel and plastic),gypsum walls and other items that are EASILY penetrated by bullets, never get hit?
    Cars shot in the radiator explode?
    When a guy checks his ONLY magazine after fireing 50 or 60 rounds from it he still has ONE and only one cartridge left?
    Good guys never "drop the mag" when they give up their gun to the badguy?
    The guy withe the scoped rifle can't hit a guy 200' away but the guy 200 feet away with the pistol (snapshooting)can hit the guy with the rifle first shot?
    Bad guys always step in the open to shoot?
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always liked the positive shooting myths displayed in the movies and television such as the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, and so on, shooting the the bad guy's gunn out of his hand and if there had to be any blood shed at all it was the good guy winging the bad guy to bring him to justice.[:)]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!