In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm amputation

TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
Last week a man in the city which I work was apparently cleaning his 7mm Magnum on his bed. He did not check to see if it was loaded or treat it as though it was. It went off just behind his right knee at a downward angle obliterating the bone and severing the femoral. He began bleeding profusely but managed to crawl outside his home where his screams for help were heard by a roofer on a nearby house. The roofer put a tournaquet above the knee. The paramedics who arrived shortly thereafter said the roofer saved the mans life, as he would have bled out on his own steps. The lower half of his leg was hanging on by only skin at that point so he lost the leg. What can you say??? Check the firearms every time!!!!

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NAAAHHHH! I find it much more exciting to clean a gun without knowing whether or not it is loaded.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Terrible it happened. I cannot believe anyone not checking a gun before cleaning it, looking at it, holding it or whatever. How do you clean a gun when it is loaded anyway?
  • Options
    Norman DogNorman Dog Member Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always wondered what the real story was on these "I shot myself while cleaning my gun" stories. Do people really clean their guns without opening the actions? If so, how? Or, was the gun-cleaner was just wiping it down and got real happy around the trigger? If he was cleaning his gun, how did he shoot himself through the lower leg? Was he sitting in his Barcalounger at the time?
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THe first thing I do when I pick up a gun is check the clip and chamber.
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, this guy didn't remove the bolt? It's much better to remove the bolt rather than just stick the patch down the barrel, right? Just checking.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gump had it right.Clouder..
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once when I showed a new gun to my grandson he asked me "is it loaded Pop Pop?"I told him a gun is always loaded until he has personally checked it and found it unloaded. Then I showed him how to check it.There are too many shootings by ignorant people who don't know that the first rule of safety is CHECK THE CHAMBER.Recently a cop shot his mentor in a training exercise because he neglected this very basic rule. He now has to live the rest of his life knowing he killed a man in a stupid mistake.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya know, I never thought of that: how DO you clean a loaded gun? I always come in from the back (DOWN, guys, you know what I mean!) when possible, except obvious ones like Garands and M14/M1A, and even then, you kinda have to have the action open. How do you do that? Run a wet patch down the bore of a rifle with the bolt shut and never check to see if the solvent is running into the action? Weird!