In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My wife shoots at rustlers

bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I thought you might find this story interesting:Last Friday morning, I had gone to the coffee shop at 6am as usual. About daybreak someone knocked on our back door with my wife being here by herself. Before she could get to the door they were driving out of our yard in a pickup she didn't recognize. She figured it was someone looking for me, but she knows most people around here know I go to the coffee shop in the mornings. Anyway, when they cleared our yard, they turned off our ranch road, out into the pasture and went to the far side where two guys got out and commenced to drive one single calf towards the gate in the corner. My wife stepped out on the front porch and, from that distance--about 400 yards--not recognizing either guy or the pickup, she fired one round from the 30-30 into the air. Her thought was that someone was making off with a calf--there has been some rustling in the neighborhood lately. She then took off, hoofing it down to where they were...Winchester in hand! When she got close she saw it was the young man who leases from us, and a buddy of his. They were trying to round up a stray from an adjacent neighbor's ranch. Our tennant jokingly held his hands up and yelled "I surrender." He later told me that my wife looked pretty tough coming across that pasture after them with a rifle. He also said it was reassuring to know someone would protect his cattle like that. Word is already spreading in the community: "Try to fool around on the Rafter-S and that crazy lady who lives there will shoot you." I think it's a great word to spread--it'll make trespassers and poachers think hard before coming on our property.And who says the old west doesn't exist any more? Only in Texas!

Comments