In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone know what Win #115 primers are?

.250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I have about 3-4,000 old Winchester #115 primers (NOT #116!) inherited from my father. They are obviously "large" size, but are they rifle or pistol? Standard or magnum? Not even my Speer #1 manual lists these. I e-mailed Winchester, but as is usual when dealing with a huge, multi-national corporation, I got one reply that directed me to the standard primer chart (which doesn't list #115 primers) and then nothing. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my IDEAL #34 manual the Win #s 115, 115 1/2, and 120 are all large rifle primers. It further notes that the 115 1/2 and 120 are for cartridges of 30-06 and greater capacity while the 115 is 30-06 or smaller. Sort of an early version of STD and MAG primers I guess. If the packaging is in excellent condition they may have more value as collector items. The money could in turn be used for newer fresher primers which, hopefully will be around for a while. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If i remember #115 are corrosive primers I think the idea of keeping them as collector items is good ,they become unstable with ageand humidity ,use only for experiments in stainless steel guns clean with soapy water..
    Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, gentlemen, your information definitely appreciated! Any more takes on this?