In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Printer recommendations

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I need to buy a new printer. There are so many out there that I'm confused.Requirements are for reasonably fast black and white, high quality color, inexpensive cartridges and priced below $300.Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    ebeshirsebeshirs Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Hewlit-Packard Business Inkjet 2200.It is a color business class printer, that is the best inkjet made. You won't get better pages unless you buy a laserjet. I think it was close to $500, though. If that's too pricey, go with another HP. They are the best printer for the money.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two HP printers. An HP 694 and an HP 963. Best bang for the buck IMO.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    avoid the cheap h-p apollo printers like the plague!!junk!!the rest of them seem good , tho.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought, but I know that Xerox is making some efforts to steal market share from HP by introducing a line of affordable ink-jet printers for the home user. They are similar in quality and speed, but they are cheaper than HP. I haven't personally tested or used them, though, so I am speaking only from what I've read.I like the HP color laserjet 4500 myself, but it is rather expensive.
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HP DeskJet series has always worked well for me. The cartridges are on the expensive side though. I do a lot of printing of digital photos on a DeskJet 952C and they come out great, especially on HP or Kodak inkjet photo paper.One thing about HP that I've found with several models over the years -- the hardware reliability and print quality are great, but the software drivers can be glitchy.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've got a H-P Deskjet 842C and really like it. Has 2 cartridges. 1 black and 1 color. We've been using the refill kits that keep the cost of printing down a bit and they're easy to use. Cost $150.Mudge the contributive
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any other recommendations ? My Canon BJC4100 is fading fast.
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two, I mainly use a Z32,prints good photos, color and fast B&W, cartidges are $59 for both, printer is $61, so I get a new printer every couple of months, sell old one on e**y....hehe...no cartidges, and my main photo printer is a HP P1000, fast and very high Quality, and has never given me an once of trouble, $139 on e**y right now.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    I like my Lexmark Z22. I think it is discontinued now, but when I got it, it was CHEAP. You can monitor your ink supplies from the desktop, and it talks to you.I also have a 3 year old HP 697. It still streaks the text, even though it is clean.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stick with HP. Lexmarks are junk. HP makes their money on ink cartridges, remember to use draft mode and greyscale unless you really need the color. PS Lexmark does the manufacturing for several other name brands including Compaq.
    "They that would give up liberty to obtain safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"Benj. Franklin, 1759[This message has been edited by edharold (edited 12-02-2001).][This message has been edited by edharold (edited 12-02-2001).]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Canon BJC-4300 that is cheap to refill (been a good printer,but replaced the head a couple of times), but if I were getting a new one I would go to Walmart an get a Lexmark, we have several at work that the state provides and I am convinced after using them daily. We have several Lazer Lexmark Optra E310's and a couple of new Lexmark Z53's. Co-worker has one at home and he tells me that before the tank gets empty just refill it (up to 5 times) and you are ready to go. If you get one make sure you get the one with the two tanks on it as four colors to one tank you end up refilling the black tank refill section to often. The extra tank is just black only. If my memory is right I think the Z11 and Z12 have the single tank to avoid. The state replaced about a year an a half ago all our HP with these Lexmarks. The HP weren't bad either.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PC magazine does periodic tests of printers, and one of the issues addressed was the cost per page. Generally, the cheaper the printer, the higher per-page cost. That means that just because an ink cartridge for a particular printer costs $35 to $40 does not mean that the per-page cost is higher than a printer with a cartridge that costs $20.At home, my family has a H-P Deskjet 895Cxi. We paid about $325 from Buy.com back when they just came out as the top of the line and were selling for over $400 elsewhere. However, now that the 895 has been superceded by newer models, I see them selling at Sam's Club for $99.96! I am going to buy another for the backup home computer so both kids can print at the same time. A $400 printer for $100 seems like the best deal going to me. While I have not done it, I know people who refill ink cartridges and they seem satisfied.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to hp.com and look at their refurbished equipment. It has been overhauled if need be or the knob that got broke off at the store has been replaced, whatever. You can get a real deal here.Buy HP. The rest are wannabe's unless you buy a Canon, they invented it.Clouder..
  • Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Epson Stylus C-80.PC Magazine did a recent review of this new printer and gave it great ratings for the price.2880dpi, individual ink cartridges so you don't have to throw out the who cartridge when one color runs out, and best of all, price is around $139 at Costco, $149 at Staples, with a $30 rebate good thru Dec.I have a Nikon digital camera that does 1600x1200 pics, and this thing prints out great pictures.Only problem I had was I had to set the thickness to "envelope" when printing on heavyweight photo quality paper, and didn't realize this till I blew through half a pack of expensive photo paper.Pictures look great though.
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    I prefer lasers to inkjets because they look better for black and white text and are more smudge-resistant. Cost per page for a laser is very cheap if you print a lot. They are also extremely trouble-free. I think my 10 year old Laserjet III has over 100,000 pages on it without any problems. HP has a sub $300 laser called the LaserJet 1000If color is important then you are not going to find a color laser printer for $300 and inkjet is your only option. However, if you don't care about about color buy a laser printer.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a HP 710 Officejet, knew I wanted the option of printer/fax/copier/scanner, since it is all the same basic technology. Uses seperate Black and Color cartridges. Only thing I didn't consider is that this model requires you to feed things thru it to copy/scan, which is a little hard if it is a book or something.