In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help with media bias

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I REALLY need your guys help on this one. In class we're talking about media bias and I want to show the kids examples of how two different organizations cover the same story. I'm thinking gun control would be a super subject. But, I'm strapped for time and can't search through tons of stuff.So, can anybody give me links to two similar, large media outlets (Washington Post and Washington Times, or Newsweek and Mother Jones) that covered the same story in vastly different ways? Does not have to be about gun control. Josey, this sounds right up your alley. Thank for your help.

Comments

• Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mlincoln, I think you're doing a good thing. I don't know of any conflicting reports, I'm sure one of the people on this board can help. But, I just wanted to commend you for trying to teach this subject to your students. I see so many people who simply take everything that comes from the news media as fact. Rarely, beyond this board, do I interact with independent thinkers.How many times have we been told that eggs are bad for you, no wait, they're good for you. No, wait, don't drink milk. Oh, okay, its fine. You mean you like chocolate, it'll kill you! Wait, chocolate is good for you.....
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really noticed media bias during the 200 election recount. A few days after the election, I went to my brothers house. We had our eyes glued to the TV the entire weekend I was there. I do not have Fox news channel, but he does. After viewing Fox news channel, my wife commented that she always thought we were paranoid about media bias. But after viewing the three cable news channels(MSNBC, CNN, FOX NEWS)she realized there was a lot of truth to our observations. I remember how sick to my stomach I was getting watching the obviously Gore tilted news channels. Then we would switch to Fox news, and start to feel a little better.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ML - How about quoting Constitutional scholars on the recent SCt. decision vs. the commentary of the Washington Post or ABC?
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice would be to go right to the horses' mouth, as it were. Find the NRA website: www.nraila.org (now, let's see if that hyperlink comes up)and the site for the Brady Bunch (sorry, I'm a good 'Mercan and don't have that website). The shocking difference should give you all the ammo you need (so to speak).