In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is a "machine" gun?

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Forgive my ignorance, but can anyone explain to me what the definition of a machine gun is. Are all "fully automatic" weapons considered machine guns, or is there some other requirements for a gun to qualify as a machine gun.

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps I should ask what is the "legal" definition of a "machine" gun?
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    If that definition was true (a pull and release of the trigger both firing the gun), sporting shotguns with "release triggers" would be machine guns. They fire both when the trigger is pulled, and again when released.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, it is one ACTION of the trigger firing more than one shot, so pull-bang!-release-bang! is not full-auto. And yes, having certain PARTS of a full-auto gun is legally identical to HAVING a full auto gun, i.e. receiver or having a pre-ban AR-15 and an auto-sear, even if it isn't in the gun (or so I understand).
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand whats being said in general ... but why can any Joe Blow buy a select fire G3, Uzi, Fal, Sten (ect.) parts kits? No firearm exists as its not a complete weapon, all the parts are select fire, yet not classified as Class III ... the only firearm I can think of off hand that it is illegal to possess all necessary parts is the M-16 parts ... yet go to any big gunshow and you can pick up all the parts un-restricted you'll usually have to go to more than 1 dealer, but they are all avaiable to anyone ... as well as conversion instructions (for educational purposes only).
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, but you wouldn't actually do that, would you, son? That would be wrong... As to why you can do that, it is becuase (now hold on, I know this will come as a shock to you), PEOPLE WHO WRITE AND PASS GUN CONTROL LAWS ARE STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Thank God!)
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must admit I went through a phase where I wanted to do it ... but the penelty if you were caught was a higher price than I wanted to pay. I finally went to Vegas (16 years ago) and went to a range where you could rent class III's ... and I think I rented them all, MP5, Uzi, M-16 ... after about $250 worth of ammo, I decided it was fun, but not very pratical, that got it out of my system to where I don't "want" one, but I still never miss an opertunity to shoot one!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets ask machine-gun Kelly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I went to one of those places in Vegas too. GREAT fun! But I am forced to agree with the real police combat guys - it mostly just turns money into noise. Still, one of these days I will move to a state where I can own one. Fun toys!