In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A very touchy subject!

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Stem cell research!Are youy for it or against it?Is it moral or immoral?Does stem cell research conflict with your religious beliefs?Also keep in mind that the national academy of science stated that the most viable way to grow the cells is to put a layer of stem cells over a layer of mouse cells.Because of this, there is a chance that any virus that the mouse had could be transmitted to humans.

Comments

• Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally i think its the next step in the medical world. eventually we will be able to grow hearts and lungs and stuff like that instead of waiting for a transplant. however that doesnt mean i approve of it. And what i really dont approve of...or hate for that matter is how mr. Bush said he would not support it and then suddenly decides (once snuggled in his chair playing with his trucks in the oval office) to change his mind. Thats horse*&$^. I'm Catholic, so technically everything is against my religion. So.....i think its needed, but i want no part in it.
  • Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it lead's to a cure for Diabetes,cancer,MS. Then I'm all for it.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Kadaver, hearts, lungs and some other organs have already been grown in the laboratory. The only problem was that the organs had no arterial or veinous system and there was no way to connect them to a human vascular system.George Bush is a moderate and has a long history of trying to satisfy both sides of the aisle. This is the system he used when he was governor of Texas. This also why i fear that some more of our gun rights may be in jeopardy. I thought that when he took office as president that "open season" on gun owners and dealers would stop or at least slow down but it looks like it is business as usual. I don't see much difference between Bush's presidency and the Klinton years.The cure for diabetes is here and now with stem cell research. Most all that is required is to inject the bad pancreas with the cells. There are exceptions however.I doubt that you will see any benefits from it for a long time because of Federal regulations [unless it becomes fast tracked!][This message has been edited by alledan (edited 09-07-2001).]
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Go for it! If there is one chance that it can cure - it should be tried. New science is not always bad. I fail to understand the goverments involvement in this type of research - oh yeah - maybe there is an outside chance they could develope a weapon....
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alledan,President Bush did exactly the right thing on this issue. I am opposed to killing feti for any purpose, however, I do think that by not requiring the destruction of those lines already created, he did exactly the right thing.That being said, the future of Diabetes and CNS work is in the stem cells. Additionally, as we discover more and more about the cell control mechanisms, we are going to learn a lot about cancer and how to turn it off. In my view, this is the most difficult ethical issue a president can face in peacetime. On one hand there is the Pro-life point of view, which accords all conceived human beings the right to life, and on the other hand there is the possibility of prolonging and improving millions of lives. This is a tough issue. I think by going right down the middle, Mr. Bush did the right thing.BTW, I'd like to know from you Mr. Alledan what other issues President Bush has been a moderate on, because I can't think of any. I realize he worked with Democrats in Texas, but Texas Democrats are more conservative than most Republicans in Washington. Bluetic,The NIH provides the funding for most of the medical research that is done in this country. The Pharmaceutical industry provides the funding for the drug research, but almost all basic science research is supported by our tax dollars. [This message has been edited by Andrew Adams (edited 09-07-2001).]
  • Options
    The Gun DoctorThe Gun Doctor Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    medical research has been controversial for centuries. it was only about 100 years ago that medical students were allowed to start using real bodies for research and study. this issue will be difficult for many pro-life advocates to resolve.
    hi karate and old spice