In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bin Laden claims he has nuclear weapons

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in General Discussion
bin Laden claims he has nuclear weapons - paperISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan's Dawn newspaper said on Saturday that in an interview from inside Afghanistan, Osama bin Laden said he had nuclear and chemical weapons and might use them to respond to U.S. attacks. "I wish to declare that if America used chemical or nuclear weapons against us, then we may retort with chemical and nuclear weapons. We have the weapons as deterrent," the newspaper quoted bin Laden as telling a well-known Pakistani journalist in Afghanistan on Wednesday night. The paper said that when asked where he got the weapons from, bin Laden replied: "Go to the next question." Dawn said Hamid Mir, editor of Pakistan's Ausaf newspaper, had interviewed bin Laden, prime suspect in the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, after being taken blindfolded by jeep from Kabul on November 7. The paper, which printed a photograph showing Mir with bin Laden, said it was the first interview the Saudi-born militant had granted to any journalist since the deadly September 11 attacks. http://in.news.yahoo.com/011109/64/18kh7.html [This message has been edited by Josey1 (edited 11-10-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SATURDAY NOVEMBER 10 2001 Bin Laden makes nuclear threat FROM STEPHEN FARRELL IN ISLAMABAD OSAMA BIN LADEN claims today that he has nuclear weapons and is ready to use them. "We have chemical and nuclear weapons as a deterrent and if America used them against us we reserve the right to use them," two Pakistani newspapers quote him as saying. The threat was made during an interview on Wednesday with Hamid Mir, Editor of the Urdu-language Ausaf newspaper. The article appears with a photograph of Mr Mir with bin Laden "somewhere near Kabul" and another of bin Laden sitting beside his second-in-command, the Egyptian doctor Ayman al-Zawahiri. The interview, said to be the first with any journalist since September 11, is also published in the Islamabad-based English-language newspaper, Dawn. Mr Mir, who lives in Islamabad but is now in Kabul, has met bin Laden twice previously and claims to be writing a biography. He says that he is in regular contact with bin Laden through messengers who arrive in Islamabad with statements from al-Qaeda. In his article, Mr Mir says that he was taken blindfolded in a Jeep from Kabul on the night of November 7 "to a place where it was extremely cold and one could hear the sound of anti-aircraft guns". Mr Mir says that bin Laden arrived with al-Zawahiri and a dozen bodyguards. Asked about Western reports that he was trying to obtain chemical and nuclear weapons, bin Laden said: "I heard the speech of American President Bush yesterday. He was scaring the European countries that Osama wanted to attack with weapons of mass destruction. I wish to declare that if America used chemical or nuclear weapons against us, then we may retort with chemical and nuclear weapons. We have the weapons as deterrents." Asked: "Where did you get these weapons from?" bin Laden replied curtly: "Go to the next question." Bin Laden went on to say that "according to the information I have", the hijacking suspects were all passengers, not hijackers. At no point does he directly admit carrying out the September 11 attacks, but asked to justify them under Islamic law, he says that the strikes were aimed at America's military and economic establishment. "If an enemy occupies a Muslim territory and uses common people as a human shield, then it is permitted to attack that enemy." http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001380020-2001391616,00.html
  • Options
    ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember the words "DEATH TO ALL AMERICANS". This is the intent, this is the objective. If he had these weapons, I beleive they would have been used by now. If he did have these weapons, how would he get them over to the United States? Seems these guy's are trying to terrorize us phsycologicly. However; do we bet on that?
  • Options
    zombiedawgzombiedawg Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The upside is that it sounds as though he is actually still in Afghanistan. And he gets to listen to the sound of gunfire regularly and I bet he gets to feel some of the shockwaves from the bombing.SWEET DREAMS OSAMA!!!I am sure that there is DAISY CUTTER somewhere with your name on it.Sounds like we need to stick a transmitter up this guy's butt and keep a track on where he is headed.
    RANGE ME
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think he is bluffing. But there is a way to find out. Lets drop ours first and see if he really does have any.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    He might have them, but by the time he got them over here and dropped 'em on us by ox cart...
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would venture a guess that he does have "backpack" versions, and (one or more of)those may actualy be here already. Wouldn't suprise me in the least.But as I have said before-This is war,my good buddy, and should we expect anything less? I think that to underestimate an opponent in war is a weakness that we cannot posess...
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I'm just waitin' for the call.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    The use of NBC weapons by the U.S. is all but a joke unless one or more is used against us in this country.It would be nice if we did use several micro miniture nukes on them.[This message has been edited by alledan (edited 11-10-2001).]
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sorry stack if pig manure is insane by any measure. If he had such weapons you can bet he would have used them. Instead all he had was box cutters.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    oldsoldiersneverdieoldsoldiersneverdie Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Osama has nukes?!Riiiigggghhhhttt. An if my grandma had a trigger she'd be a pistol.(I have no idea what that means)...
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum (don't let the bastards get you down).
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not assume that if Bin Laden had nuclear capabilities, he "would have already used it".You need to understand the Middle Eastern mind--these are VERY patient people who think in VERY long time frames (this conflict is still related to the 12th century Crusades in their minds!).We know that the WTC attack was atleast 4 years in the planning--and that's not counting the first attack in 1993, which was supposed to be a chlorine gas attack too.If a nuclear device has not already been smuggled into the U.S., these people could be planning for a retaliatory nuclear attack 5 or 6 years from now--that's a lot of time for them to smuggle/deliver the device.And do not underestimate Middle Eastern intelligence--the language you use, the arithmetic you know (or don't know), the core sciences which fueled the industrial revolution--all these have roots to the Middle East, if not in origin, atleast a connection in the role of preservation of earlier knowledge lost when Western art and science disappeared in the Dark Ages.We're not dealing with "dumb" people here--as already noted in this thread: Let's not underestimate our enemies.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks, Competentone, sometimes I think maybe my thinking has gotten a little out of line, (in fact, I know it has at times; 'cause of how quickly I get corrected!)but this time I look at the big picture, and I understand that this guy may be a rat, but he is no fool. and you are right to point out the waiting thing. He has proven his ability to both plan, and be patient. All this stated based on the common belief that he is the responcible party, of coarse...I do think that any man capable of convincing 20 men to give up thier lives in such a manner, is capable of any number of much more sinister deeds.
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    ironsitesironsites Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, they may not be dumb- in the sense of the term. Bankers can't change oil in trucks, but they are not dumb. I can't fix a TV, but I am not dumb. These guy's aren't dumb in many way's, but real war with us is the stupidist thing they can do. They don't know what they are in for. I can start many fights and be smart about it- but can I finish them?The dumb part was starting the fight in the first place.