In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OK, so I picked the bass back up. . .

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
I feel comfortable with scales and what not, and want to try learning real songs.

I printed off a bunch of tablature but I'm still having trouble.

Seems I can't hear or "feel" the bassline for whatever reason, no matter how hard I try? What am I missing?

What I need are suggestions for easy (repeat: EASY) contemporary rock songs I can learn without too much difficulty, i.e. songs with prominent bass parts. I have quite a collection on my ipod. So far, the only song I've achieved any competence whatsoever on is Seven Nation Army by White Stripes, obviously because it's got a bass lead in and very little variation throughout.

I think I can do more complicated songs if only I can hear the bass or know when to play the notes. I've got like 1600 songs to choose from so suggestions are welcome.

I've got everything from Metallica, to Johnny Cash, the Stones, Tom Petty, Deep Purple, Zep, Pantera, on and on it goes.

you're turn.

Comments

  • Gav-n-TnGav-n-Tn Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you play by ear or do you have to have sheet music. I haven't played (guitar-6 string) in a long time but I always played by ear. I forgot the musical notes I was taught in school but I never could read music any way. To make it even worse, I was a lefty but played right handed. That's just the way I learned how to play it.
  • NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only In Dreams by Weezer

    Money by Pink Floyd (I have always felt this one is tricky, though it is probably due to my inept playing skills)

    Right and Wrong by Joe Jackson

    Cake has a bunch of readily discernible bass lines

    Along Came Mary by ... uh, I forget who did it originally, but The Bloodhound Gang does a bitchin' cover.

    That enough for now?

    Damn, I haven't touched my bass in over a year. [:(] Maybe I should pick it up again too.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Have checked out Youtube. Lots of tutorials there for most instruments. I've learned A BUNCH off Youtube.
    Just type in the names of songs you like, then add BASS GUITAR.
    IE: Smoke on the water Bass Guitar.
    Surely there's some you can find and learn.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bass+guitar+tutorial&aq=f
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as you might hate some of the songs, look into some older country tunes to learn on. When I was learning bass I played to alot of Willie and Waylon tunes. Good Hearted Woman comes to mind. If you can'tfeel the bass line on that one then you should take up the french horn!
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ZZ Top should be pretty easy to hear. There is 3 main aspects of bass playing, beat, rythem, and bottom end fill in. Stay with the kick drum for beat, return to your "one" and scale for rythem.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    Have checked out Youtube. Lots of tutorials there for most instruments. I've learned A BUNCH off Youtube.
    Just type in the names of songs you like, then add BASS GUITAR.
    IE: Smoke on the water Bass Guitar.
    Surely there's some you can find and learn.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bass+guitar+tutorial&aq=f


    sweeeeet.

    I'll get cracking on it hopefully tonight.

    Thanks.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NiccoHel
    Only In Dreams by Weezer

    Money by Pink Floyd (I have always felt this one is tricky, though it is probably due to my inept playing skills)

    Right and Wrong by Joe Jackson

    Cake has a bunch of readily discernible bass lines

    Along Came Mary by ... uh, I forget who did it originally, but The Bloodhound Gang does a bitchin' cover.

    That enough for now?

    Damn, I haven't touched my bass in over a year. [:(] Maybe I should pick it up again too.


    Tried Money but got lost, probably because I'm stupid.

    I'll look into the rest. I know I have some Bloodhound Gang lying around here somewhere. . . .
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    As much as you might hate some of the songs, look into some older country tunes to learn on. When I was learning bass I played to alot of Willie and Waylon tunes. Good Hearted Woman comes to mind. If you can'tfeel the bass line on that one then you should take up the french horn!


    I got lots of Cash on the ipod, but I'll need to load up some Willie and Waylon.

    BTW, I LOVE old country; grew up on the stuff.

    New country can go blow a goat.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Any thing by Primus, due to Les Claypool running the show they always have the bass out front, try:

    My Name Is Mud
    Jerry Was A Race Car Driver
    The Ol Diamondback Sturgeon
    Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a challenge try War Pigs by Black Sabbath, bass is very pronounced and easy to hear but 'ol Geezer really exercises the fingers in that one. In fact alot of the pre Dio Sabbath has some super cool bass riffs, plain simple crunch that sounds great but you hafta be sorta old to appreciate the old Sabbath.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In all my years of fishing, I have never had a bass try to sing to m e. You guys are beyond impressive at times [:D][:D]
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    In all my years of fishing, I have never had a bass try to sing to m e. You guys are beyond impressive at times [:D][:D]


    You must be the only guy in Texas without a 'Billy the Big Mouth Bass' wall plaque!
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    quote:Originally posted by tneff1969
    In all my years of fishing, I have never had a bass try to sing to m e. You guys are beyond impressive at times [:D][:D]


    You must be the only guy in Texas without a 'Billy the Big Mouth Bass' wall plaque!


    [:D]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pa Redneck
    If you want a challenge try War Pigs by Black Sabbath, bass is very pronounced and easy to hear but 'ol Geezer really exercises the fingers in that one. In fact alot of the pre Dio Sabbath has some super cool bass riffs, plain simple crunch that sounds great but you hafta be sorta old to appreciate the old Sabbath.


    How old we talking? I'm a huge Sabbath and Ozzy fan, always have been.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 7,041
    edited November -1
    Hang on Sloopy.

    Easy riff, good song to tune up on.

    ROCK in the USA by Mellencamp.

    Pretty simple, but faster riffs. Tabs are on line and easy to follow.

    Slow ride by Foghat. Tricky, but pure fun to play.
Sign In or Register to comment.