In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What would you do?......

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
An elderly widow lady asks you to come over and help get rid of her late husbands firearms.....she opens the closet and there in the corner are three guns....an artillary Luger he brought back from WWII, a Parker double barrel shotgun, and a 1 of 1000 Winchester lever action....

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would remove the guns for her free of charge.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If she wants to part with them, I would tell her the going prices on the guns. I would offer to sell them for her at those prices IF I could buy one myself for a slight discount. Personally I'd take the Luger.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look around for the Candid camera

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye

Edited by - snickers on 04/11/2002 21:55:00
  • Options
    budmottbudmott Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    List them on Gunbroker.com of course.
    For a %age.
    later,
    bud
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would help her get the most for her guns and make sure the paper work was done properly free of charge. It would feel good to help someone {without compensation} who couldn't help themselves, .

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would offer her fair market price and purchase them from her, later if you are so inclined sell the ones you dont want on gun broker
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can honestly say some of my decision would be based on the financial situation of the widow. If wealthy in the first place, I believe it would be hard not to take at least a slight advantage of the situation. If the widow needed the money I would do everything in my power to get her the best price possible, informing her what they were worth. In both cases, I would have to tell her, anyone owning three guns of this type, obviously had extremely good taste, and cared for his guns. If it was never discussed how the disposition of the guns was to be effected before the husbands death, I would suggest she simply hold on to them as part of her husband that she will always have.

Ya know, this is a sad question you ask, I dont like the thought of it.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father came upon a similar situation years back. A half dozen antique and high end rifles and shotguns. In this case the widow gave them to my father. He gave her $100 each and held onto them for a year. Within that year one of the widow's son's came inquiring about his greatgrandfather's and father's guns that were to stay in the family (his elderly mother had forgotten). He paid back my father for the heirlooms and with teary eyes thanked him for not selling them. Dad was able to keep three guns worth 3 to 4 times what he paid for them.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This would not have been a problem if you hadn't thrown that 1 in 1000 Winchester into the mix.LOL Seriously I would be dissapointed if any one here wouldn't try to help her get fair market value on these guns.

However I have been able to buy a few bargains from people that think they are putting something over on me and I feel no remorse.

"It's great to be great, but it's greater to be human." Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Similar situation with a neighbor. Husband dies...she's got some BEEYOOTEEFUL rifles. Problem is, her lawyer (who knows nothing about firearms) is trying to scratch every penny he can and has advised her to hold out for outrageous prices.
    That was over a year ago and I she still has the Barret that she's asking about $10K for because "It belonged to my husband".
    Oh well!

Mudge the covetous

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I couldn't afford them, so I'd try to get her the right price, if I could. Might have to call some buddies, 'specially on the Luger, lotsa variations there (I think they're cool, but not a good mechanical design, OW! my fingers! Gimmee something to shove this on to dissassemble it, an anvil? Damn, got a pine needle in the action on that last round, she's locked up). Gotta take a wee exception to robsguns, in my opinion, it doesn't matter if someone is rich, or they don't have a penny, it doesn't change wrong to right
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow gunpaq, your father is an honorable man.

I'd let her know the going rate on the guns, then make a reasonable offer myself. I'd just hate to see something so rare and valuable go to someone without any regard for taste, let alone gun handling exp.

NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I was faced with a simular situation. I told the lady that I didn't have the cash to buy the guns, but if she would let me pay her out, I would like to purchase them at a fair price. She said, "Just take them and keep them safe". I did!

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I would tell her that I will get her the best market price for the guns and that all I want in return is my choice of one gun.
  • Options
    wapo3030wapo3030 Member Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I PERSONALY WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THAT ONE.......ITS WRONG TO PROFIT FROM ANOTHERS MISERY.....BUT MAM, I JUST WANT THE STEEL AND WOOD....YOU CAN KEEP THE SENTIMENT......
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to put a dollar figure to this senario, consider this:

Parker Shotgun...value approx. $10,000
    Artillary Luger..Value approx. $2,000
    1 of 1000 Winchester value.....$35,000-$250,000

Sort of reminds me of the story where an old lady advertised a 1957 Chevrolet $1500. An avid car collector went to check out the ad, lady open the garage door and there sits a 1957 Fuel Injected Corvette....Buyer and "seller" beware!
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope it never happens to me.

Clouder..
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger9 got it right.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    timberbeast,
    I even take exception to what I said, but I was just being honest. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. That applies to all things, at least I have a little decency, and would take pitty on the needy. I AM human, though, and I dont think that temptation would be something I could deny myself, at least...not to a perfect stranger.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC