In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.454 Casull carbine

gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
PUMA M92 LEVER ACTION WESTERN RIFLES
ROUND BARREL
Caliber Catalog
Number Finish Barrel MSRP
.44 Mag PUM55001 Blued 20" Round $407.00
.44 Mag PUM55011 Stainless Steel 20" Round $462.00
.38 Spl/.357 Mag PUM56001 Blued 20" Round $407.00
.38 Spl/.357 Mag PUM56009 Black/brass 20" Round $414.00
.38 Spl/.357 Mag PUM56011 Stainless Steel 20" Round $462.00
.45 Colt PUM57001 Blued 20" Round $407.00
.45 Colt PUM57009 Black/brass 20" Round $414.00
.45 Colt PUM57011 Stainless Steel 20" Round $462.00
.454 Casull PUM68001 NEW! Blued 20" Round $462.00
Prices, models and specifications subject to change without notice.
Prices above effective January 1, 2002
www.legacysports.com

I also found a place called Wild West Guns inc. www.wildwestguns.com
that stated they expext to have one by the next Shot Show.

The Marlin people said they have decided not to make either the
.454 or the .480.

Ruger said they have nothing in the works for either caliber.

Thompson has barrels for both calibers for the Encore.

Winchester said they are working on the .480 Ruger but no prediction when, the .454 may be possible but not being worked on now.

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard that Ruger was supposed to be making their 96/44 in the .480ruger soon, along with other rifles that were chambered in the .44magnum.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was some great info. I've been looking for, thanks, now to find out.... who makes the PUMA? I thought it was Rossi, but now I'm not so sure.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Definitely not Rossi, I visited their booth & they are not
    making any center fire rifles anymore.
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks gr. I'll be calling my dealer as soon as my wifes out of the house. Been waiting for the 454 lever a long time now......
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    didn't Taurus buy out the Rossi line?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I called Rossi a couple weeks ago when I first heard that the Puma was going to be made in the 454 and they said they didnt make one, so I guess they knew what they were talking about. They use to make a Puma, but I suppose someone else could be makeing one now with the same name, but it seems unlikely unless they bought the name from Rossi. Does anyone know who makes the current Puma M92???

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I called Legacy SI today, and they told me that Rossi does indeed make the Puma, however the factory that makes them isnt afilliated with selling them through the same distributor that is located in Florida, which imports the handguns and a few other types of guns. It seems that Legacy is the one that handles the Puma line up, for the most part, for Rossi. I talked to a nice guy on the phone, but he wasnt a lot of help. He could not tell me if the gun had been tapped for a scope mount, if it was an angle eject or a straight back type eject, and whether or not the gun would handle all types of loads you may want to put through it. He said that he thought it would handle all factory loads, but that leaves a question of whether or not it will handle cast loads, and diff. types of bullets which are not available over the counter at Wally World. He said the gun is currently under testing at I believe White Labs (?), they're running 5000 rounds through one, not a lot in my opinion, but we'll see how it does. He stated the rifle has been beefed up some, but of course could not tell me exactly how. He refered me to call their gunsmith who would be in on Wed. this week, and he may be able to give me more info. on the gun. He also said that when they get in their next shipment in a couple weeks, if they get in the qty. they ordered from Rossi, that there should be enough to fulfill requests, and end the shortage the current demand has created. I wont be buying one until I hear more about this evaluation that is being run, and something in print to clear up my questions about the gun, as well as an honest evaluation by some of the literary experts in the field. Still, I sure would like to have one, if its everything I expect it will be. I dont care for the recoil pad they installed, but oh well. I guess not everyone can handle the recoil, but sure seems like it would be pretty easy to deal with in a rifle. I am very interested in this gun, and will follow up with the info I get on it.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I suppose one has to ask the question just right or maybe just listen better. The Rossi rep told me they were out of the rifle business
    & I thought he said they were now being made by Legacy. It's very possible that I read more into his statement than what he actually
    said. It's funny how people can very clearly state what they mean
    & other people can come away with an entirely different meaning.
    (If you're married you know exactly what I mean.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gruntled,
    No. You did not misunderstand the rep. I'm sure. The one in Florida is the one I talked to the first time also, and you probably talked to the same one in Florida? They dont know what is going on. Its the classic example of the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing. Rossi IS making rifles, but the importer in Florida doesnt know that the importer in VA is handling the rifles. The folks at Legacy know exactly what guns are made, where, and by who, but the folks in Florida are lost. All the guns are made at the same plant in Brazil, according to the folks at VA. Isnt it amazing how things can be so easily screwed up by a lack of communication?

• Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Legacy folks are some of the people who used to be Interarms, Rossi's previous importer for many years. They got back together and made contact with the folks in Brazil that made the lever action rifles for them years ago. The Braztech folks (Taurus) didn't want to deal with the lever guns, so Legacy stepped in and picked up the slack. The folks in Florida are either playing dumb because they have been told to or they just really don't know. Either way the guns are being made by the same people who made them for years and Legacy International is their importer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got off the phone with Mr. Pat Wheeler at Legacy Sports Int., and he was very helpful in answering my questions regarding the 454. Hes shot it, and likes it. Reported no problems with functioning with various makes of ammo. Says the recoil pad is nice to have, he shot about 100 rds. trying to cause the gun to fail to feed etc., and it made his shoulder bruise. It will accept side mounted sights or tang sights. As many as 2000 rounds have been run through it by a lab, and they reported no failures of the metal, or wood. He said that the barrel is beefier than the previous models of Pumas. He also said they just got in a shipment of @500 of the 454 rifles, they havent even processed them into their inventory yet. If you want one, you can call Legacy 703-548-4837 ext 15 and speak to Dwight Short, Sales Manager. You can order just one direct from them through your FFL dealer, but only one. More than that and you need to go through a wholesaler. Hope this helps, I'm getting one.