In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Where do you keep your farm animals?

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Toolbabe is at it again. I stoped by the house today on my way back to Pageland to deliver a load. When I came into the house I found Toolbabe in the bed room with one of the baby goats. Right now its curled up in a chair with Toolbrat. Thay are keeping it in a cloths basket in the bed room and bottel feeding it. Toolbabe was worried that the other baby was not letting it eat.
But this is not the worst. One time Toolbabe had 3 calves in the liveing room.
TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.

Comments

• Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well thats ok as long as she sleeps outside with the rest of the animals while that goat stays in the house!

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Growing up on my uncle's farm we would bring in young stock all the time. Calfs, colts, Sheep. and goats. Back then you did whatever it took to save the stock. Around here, anytime the wind chill gets below zero, all the horses go in the barn. Nothing worse than your favorite horse's ear tips getting frozen off.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had them in the house in front of the fireplace. But normally it does not get that cold here.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Where do you keep your farm animals?
    I'm not admitting to a thing and don't ask my sheep. They are such liars.....[}:)][}:)]
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to disagree with you Guns&painthorses. Horses with frost bit ears are good. I had one that was great because the lowered ears made it easier to shoot of off.[:D]

I had another horse that actually tracked a deer for me after I had wounded it. It was getting dark and the horse kept following the deers trail and the deer would jump up and run then bed down again. Friends at work laugh but I said if a deer can trail a cow why can't it trail a deer. If it was not tracking then it was doing a good job of being lucky because it was heading away from home and the trails were way too many to choose from.

Mad Dog
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Have to say the smart * answer, on the farm![:D] I have pictures of my daughter in the stall laying on her back asleep on hay with a foal laying down beside her with it's head on her belly sucking on a bottle! She would have brought that thing into her bedroom to sleep with her if I had let her. That was the year we lost so many foals to the tent catipliilers, or as they called it MRLS (Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrom). This one foal was the only one we had that year and he came out real sickly. All the other mares aborted! We had to supplement his mothers milk by bottle and now he is 3 years old. Spoiled rotten as well. I have taken newborn calves and put them in to front seat of the truck to warm up till I got them to the barn. Momma would follow the truck all the way to the barn and follow me into the stall as long as I was carrying her calf! I have drawn a line in the sand as to pigs! They want a baby pig to raise on bottle now? Tools1, I know how you feel!

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid I walked one of our calves into my grandparents house. Still have the scars to prove it.

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • Kidd_CKidd_C Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    jjmitchell60 you stole my answer.

On The Farm

You can't judge a book by its cover, but that doesn't mean you can't do a report on it.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the housebound goat, put a small slit in a "Pampers" diaper (for the tail), and install as you would on a child. We raised my wifes pet goat in the house this way (got her at 3 days old, traded for a bowl of fresh radishes).
    Now the goat lives in the dog pen/dog house (she would prefer to be in the house however), the rabbits are caged in the living room (fun when you also have a Beagle and a Basset hound), the 2 horses just wander around in the back yard.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the barn.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I keep farm animals on the dinner plate, next to the green beans and mashed potato's.[:D]

aliens.jpg
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall living on the farm growing up. All livestock was kept in the barn. We let the chickens, geese roam the barnlot and pasture and woods
  • pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the pasture/barn. BUT, must admit, if a newborn lamb is rejected by the ewe, and its 20 below outside, we've been known to have a lambie in the bathroom for a day or two!!!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep all of my farm animals in the local super market........already processed and ready to go for me.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner1954, we had a pet rabbit that stayed inside with the dogs and cats! It would wake us up at nigt playing with the dogs or the cats. The rabbit would actually chase them and they in turn would chse her! I have actually seen the rabbit sleep right beside one of the dogs or cats. We finally had to get a pet taxi and put her in during the night, not because of her playing with the cats or dogs but because she was also chewing the electricial cords! Rabbits are bad about chewing into lamp cords or any electricial cords. Ours would actually use her own litter box. As to the horses just roaming around in the yard, I made the mistake of leaving my tractor in with the horse one day while I was doing something to the line fence. I came back to the tractor to find my oldest gelding had torn the covering off the tractor seat. A new seat cost me $300! Horses can be worse than goats on chewing on things!

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • pantera7974pantera7974 Member Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i keep mine in the bedroom........just the sheep though..[:D][:D]

HAPPINESS IS LIKE PEEING YOURSELF, EVERYBODY CAN SEE IT BUT ONLY YOU CAN FEEL ITS WARMTH.
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    This week, they're in an ice cream tub full of chili, along with some produce from the bean field.
  • Norman DogNorman Dog Member Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:But this is not the worst. One time Toolbabe had 3 calves in the liveing room.
    That's OK, as long as she doesn't have a cow! (Especially after reading your post)

Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?

-- Joseph Stalin--
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the freezer, the younguns are the best.

"Never argue with an idiot.... They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

"I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem."

Ryan