In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shopper's gun discharges in Castleton Square

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Shopper's gun discharges in Castleton SquareNo one hurt as weapon goes off in the mall food court after falling from a Noblesville man's holster, police say. By Gina Bartongina.barton@indystar.comDecember 24, 2001A crowd of holiday shoppers was stunned into silence after a .38-caliber handgun went off in the Castleton Square Mall food court about 3:30 p.m. Sunday. So was the gun's owner."It scared the hell out of me, because I thought somebody was shooting at us," said Charles Whitacre, whose weapon accidentally discharged. Whitacre, 43, of Noblesville, said he and his 19-year-old daughter had just finished eating when his holster snagged on the chair and broke. The gun fell out and went off.Whitacre said he felt the wind from the bullet as it flew past his head. The bullet lodged in the ceiling near Sakkio Japan restaurant, frightening the manager, Bobby Foo."Everybody in the whole mall was scared and quiet," Foo said. "It was very lucky nobody got hurt."A female passer-by was startled when she kicked the weapon, Foo said. Then Whitacre retrieved it."He picked his derringer up and went on sauntering down the mall like it happens every day," said Sgt. George Martin of the Marion County Sheriff's Department.Whitacre, who said he bought the gun for personal protection and is legally licensed, described Sunday's events as "a total accident.""I just thank God nobody was wounded," he said.After Whitacre picked up his gun, several officers followed him into a retail space occupied by Bath and Body Works and the White Barn Candle Co. Sheriff's deputies were already on the mall property, directing the busy traffic."I saw seven cops running by, and they ran into the store, and a crowd started gathering," said Oscar McClyde, who was working in the Colts Pro Shop kiosk near the candle shop."There were still customers in there," said Eric Myles, working in the Brookstone kiosk beside the Colts Pro Shop. "One guy was standing there looking at the candles. He was totally unfazed."Whitacre said he got the permit 10 years ago, when he owned a restaurant. He now is a contractor. Deputies handcuffed Whitacre temporarily inside the store but released him after they discovered his permit.The two stores were closed for 20 to 30 minutes after the incident, and mall security was stationed outside for about an hour."It really put a damper on our shopping," Whitacre said.Whitacre's weapon and permit were temporarily confiscated, Martin said. They will be sent to the State Police for a hearing to determine whether Whitacre may continue to carry a weapon legally. Officers determined there was no reckless action or criminal intent, and the incident likely will not result in criminal charges.Whitacre left the mall after his encounter with police and said he planned to finish his shopping today. "I think I'll be unarmed this time," he said.Mall manager Michael D. Williams said Sunday's incident was "completely different" from a shooting that occurred at Castleton Square last month. On Nov. 30, James Barnett, 54, of Fishers shot himself at Galyan's Trading Co. with a store-owned gun, using a shell he had smuggled in. The store closed for the day while grief counselors met with employees who witnessed the suicide. http://www.starnews.com/article.php?mall24.html,news

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I read this in the paper, I couldn't believe he just picked up the gun and continued to shop. josey 1, are you from the Indy area? I'm about 20 miles west is Lizton.
    cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it ironic that nothing is mentioned about the sign in Galyans that says "No firearms permitted in the mall, Firearms must exit north entrance". I live vary close to this mall 15 miles or so and frequent Galyans alot as it's pretty nice. I have a permit and do carry when there in the evening. Take one look at the people in the malls at 8:30pm and it would make anyone want to be packing. I'm wondering about the legality of them telling us we can not carry firarms in these places. I would guess it's private property and the can say what ever they want. Do you think the crimanals will abide by these rules? I don't either.
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't happen if he'd had a Glock.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idiots like him are what create problems for people like me. Probably a piece of crap gun in a piece of crap holster, carryed by a man with a piece of crap for a brain, that told him to just walk away like nothing had happened and everything would be just jim dandy. What a perfect poster child for why the government officials dont want civilians carrying a concealed weapon in the first place. If someone had been shot, you would never hear the end of this one. It'd be on the evening news for weeks, instead of the local paper. Thanks Mr. Whitacre, for being an idiot, and not even decent enough to be responsible for your actions and seek out someone to report the incident to, IDIOT!!!
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Yeah, nothing worse than idiots with guns. What's next? Swat team members being killed during training with "unloaded guns?"There are idiots everywhere and some of them carry guns for a living.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good grief! Praise the Lord no one was hurt.It will be interesting to see if he gets his permit back. I would imagine that unintentional shootings and forgiveness don't go together. If you were the person "in authority," what would you do?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the Cheap Piece of Crap theory.The guy should be stripped of his permit as far as I am concerned. Accidents happen, but this one was most likely avoidable.
  • Options
    ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you ever think that they should not have made that cheap piece of crap holster and gun in the first place. Believe it or not, Dano and Rob, accidents can and will happen. The thing is to learn from them so it does not happen again. Never say never.The Beast
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a HARD time when the media reports a firearm "accident". IMHO there are few accidents that actually occur. 99.99% are the result of negiligence---ignoring one of the 10 Commandments of Firearm Safety. He endangered many many lives with his negligence. I say TAKE IT AWAY and bring on the charges.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beast, Heres the thing, we just got done talking about all the stupid things we've done on another thread, but for the most part, the outcome was expected and controlled, in other words, it happen where it should have, and not in a mall. My personal ADs have all been pretty much predicted, if you have seen my posts on that thread. Maybe the piece of crap gun shouldnt have been made, but it was, just like some cars that have been. In that instance each owner is responsible for knowing the guns faults, and compensating for them, ie. dont carry an old Colt revolver with a full cylinder, have an empty with the hammer on it. This man should have took similar precautions, unless he could not possibly do anything like that, in which case he should have not carried it loaded, making it a worthless piece of crap, and therefore worthy of the junk yard. Much the same can be said for old cars that arent up to speed, if you know it has a limitation on stopping because of worn but still serviceable brakes, you compensate, and begin slowing down sooner, as I am sure Dano can attest to. If the car wont stop at all, then you fix it or call the wrecker. This man is at fault, it was an accident, they do happen, I havent suggested taking his permit, I allow an accident, but this was avoidable, it WAS his fault, he gives us a bad name. We're not afforded the luxury of an automobile operator, oops, it happens to everyone. We're fighting to maintain our right to bear arms, so yes, I will put him on the spot, and say it was his fault, it was extremely avoidable. No others caused his 'accident', it was just him, and his cheap piece of crap, that he could have replaced with any other safer gun, 10 yrs. ago, which is how long hes reportedly been carrying the permit, and presumably the gun.No offense, everyone has his or her opinion, but mine is ALWAYS right, thanks for the fun.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC