In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WSM's & SRUM's

agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Other than being put in a short action, what can these new Short Magnums do that a presently made factory can't do. What good are they? 5 years from now everbody will be back with the standard 30-06, 7X57 and 270 Winchester and say "Why did I ever doubt these standard cartridges"?
AlleninAlaska

Comments

• will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    You can compare ballistics on Remington's and Winchester's sites. I have and decided to wait a while to learn from others praise or misfortune. If anyone finds one of those Marlin Bolt action .17's, I will gladly be the "whipping boy" on that rifle.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    allen, I've mentioned this once, look out, it wasnt a popular idea then, but I concur with you, there isnt enough benefit for me to buy one. Actually, I think they're useless.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "aarrgh, in my day a well-knapped piece a flint was just fine, etc..." some of you old timers look on the bright side for once- because of technological advances and consumerism a computer becomes affordable to most americans. a short action +3,000 muzzle energy w/ better case length/width powderburn might leave a lot of things covered in dust. maybe even you guys. ok- limber up your mammoth spears and come and get me....
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you beleve Savage is now chambering the .300 wsm in the Striker. What a ccw that will make.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with the RAT on this one. The fatter cartridges are the future boys. Buddy of mine has one and it shoots great. Wider shorter columns burn more consistently.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Yep that's about it Ryan, like trying to reinvent the wheel. Still haven't heard what they can do that the old standby offerings can do.
    AlleninAlaska
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Justin, Heres the thing though. If its more accurate, more accurate than what, if its faster, faster than what, I mean really. I can always come up with something faster, make something more accurate, etc. In my opinon, its just not worth buying another gun, its only real advantage that you cant improve upon is short action, reducing weight, but for what, a few ounces, I think I'm in good enough shape to no really notice, and I've been using long actions for so long, I never had any complaints, that it doesnt make a diff. to me. Anyone who wants one, great, I understand, but I dont think I have a use for one, no more than the 17 Hornady round. (.02 worth.) I see the grammar problems, forgive me.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC[This message has been edited by robsguns (edited 02-15-2002).]