In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet Performance, Terminal Wound Ballistics, ...you need to read this when you can.

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
This is more info. than anyone needs to read, but I started and got hooked, I'm going to save it all to my C drive and read it as I get time, should be a fascinating read. I've looked over some of it and its very interesting, give it a shot before you dismiss it, I cant get enough of this type of stuff. http://ulfhere.freeyellow.com/ballistics/wounding.html
SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I'm quoting here, and I think it's very applicable to combat as well.When will those who make the decisions at the US military stand up and take notice? quote:The wound track created by even the most robust of custom smallbore bullets is barely acceptable as a minimally effective lethal wound. On anything larger than a 120 lb doe, their use is inexcusable and even in this regard the utmost of precision accuracy is required. These are varmint cartridges. A 64 grain bullet does not suddenly transform a .220 Swift into a big game cartridge. When selecting a .22 centerfire for hunting big game the question I must ask is: Why? What are you trying to prove? It isn't that kinetic energy kills game like lightning because they all have less kinetic energy than even the mildest appropriate weapons. It isn't that retained velocity or flat trajectory is better because .224 bullets invariably have miserable ballistic coefficients (comparable to round nosed bullets or even pistol bullets) and lose velocity like mad beyond 100 yds. It isn't a dependable, predictable terminal effect because nearly all .224 bullets are highly frangible and in consequence are highly unpredictable (note the two illustrations of the Hansen 55 grain softpoint). The only possible argument is familiarity and training with a particular rifle and that, friends, is laziness. Use the right tool.
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Robs...you doin ok? Hope so buddy. Hows that .454 acting? Fun arent they? Good link...as you said looks as if it will be a good read, thanks...take care! Oh yeah...shot some milk jugs filled with water up at the ranch a week or two back. Using 300grn. Wins. (hollow points), found one of the slugs...BEAUTIFUL! Poster slug for "PROPER EXSPANSION"! The exspansion was TOTAL..as symetrical..as it could be! The bullet opened up all the way to the top of the main body of the base..at that point it measured 3/4 of an inch across! Each "petal" was aprox. 1/4 inch wide where it was connected to the base, tappered to 1/8 inch at it's tip! And each "petal" had a length of 3/16's! There was a gap of 1/4 inch between the rolled down "petal" tips..a total of 6 petals in all..AWESOME! The bullet appears to have had a weight retintion of 99%+! Looks as though I might have to consider this round as a "keeper" for some of my hunting..even on some of those big German Brown hogs as long as I can pull off a shoulder shot...should make a massive wound channel, more than adequate. For a frontal shot...hmmm, they do have a major amount of boney plate at a severe angle up front that does make for penetration and deflection probs...but aint it great to just own a handgun that you have this quandry of "ammo type" to mull over!!? For hunting a badboy 500 pound hog with??!! DONT TRY THIS WITH YOUR .357's...!!later Robs........going to experiment tonight on trying to post pictures here...
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE![This message has been edited by RUGERNUT3 (edited 02-15-2002).]
  • MafiosoMafioso Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 22 long rifle at the point where the neck and skull come together, angled toward the forehead, usually only one is needed. Sometimes two or three is used if yous is trying to make a point.
    Let them sleep with the fishes.
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RUGERNUT3, Hey bud, yep I'm fine. Finally got my new cleaning rod so I could clean my 454 correctly, its sweet, almost too short, but long enough, barely. Its a TetraGun double ended ProSmith, I like it a lot, try one if you have the occasion to get a new one. I havent shot the 454 a lot yet, still trying to find stuff for it, I like the Hogue grips I'm thinking about getting for it, and the Bushnell Holosight I'm pondering, as well as the Weber (?) scope base for the holosight. I gotta think long and hard before buying that stuff, but I'm pretty sure the grips are going to be purchased. Thats about it, just thinking on stuff, awhile.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC