In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bums cause Closing of Asheville Post Office

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The Asheville Postmaster today announced that the downtown Post Office will no longer be open any more than the 9 to 5 business hours.
The Postmaster said there has been a problem with drunk bums and winos, oops I mean "Homeless People" sleeping inside the Post Office.
Worse, he said that it was not uncommon for postal workers to arrive in the morning to find the lobby "covered with urine and feces." These bums are using the lobby for a bathroom. The postal workers have taken to bringing gloves and mops so they can clean up the mess each morning before they open the post office.
The Postmaster said they had tried to control the bums but were unable to do so, thus the shutdown. Many customers were upset that they could no longer go to the post office after work to check their PO Box.

Comments

• trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...why didn't they use the cops to get the Bums out??

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Allen, there not bums and vagrants, they are the "New Bohemians"[;)]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They should teach those people just like you teach a dog when it defecates in the floor......stick there nose in it![}:)]

Muggster
  • geneinncgeneinnc Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm 1 hour away, have two German Shepherds, and dogfood is expensive!!!! [;)]
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Asheville has really gone to hell in the past few years.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    I think the postmaster needs to find another job doing something else. If he can't find a solution to so simple a problem, he's out of his element. Takes only a couple of days to potty train a dog.
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it that hard to lock the door to the post office?? [?] He could have at least put an announcement out that the post office will be closed at night.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Why not install security cameras and have the bums arrested? I mean how hard would they be to find? What are the cops doing that they are to busy to do THEIR JOB?!?!?!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Why not install security cameras and have the bums arrested? I mean how hard would they be to find? What are the cops doing that they are to busy to do THEIR JOB?!?!?!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They tried a system for a while where they put a combination type lock on the door. Every one with a PO Box was given the combination.
    Still, the problem continued with the lobby floor getting crapped on.
    Evidently, one of Asheville's compassionate liberals would be going to the Post Office late at night. A bum would come up and say "Listen Brother, I am so cold. Won't you just let me in this building so I can warm up"?
    So the person with the combination would let the bum into the building.
    After the homeless person was inside, he would ask, "Say Brother, got any spare toilet paper"?
    So, starting March 1, closed all night, until 9 am.
    Asheville is "San Francisco East", so it would be bad vibes for the police to arrest a homeless person.
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Old Girl is a librarian and has the same problem, minus the morning surprises. The bums show up at opening time, often drunk, and stake out an area of the library. They pass the bottle between them during their stay on occasion. The head of the library, who rarely leaves her office, was appalled at my wife's suggestion that the library have the police stop by once or twice a day. Dasn't offend these helpless victims of cruel Republican economic policies.