In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did I screw up here?

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Alright. This happened tonight, and I'd really like your opinion on whether I acted like a jerk or a * or a psycho. Because I'm feeling somewhat guilty, to be honest.I'm here alone, right? Watching CSI on TV.Somebody calls me, and sits there and presses all of the buttons on the phone. You know, just being a dirtball. I tell him to get lost, and hang up.Guy calls again right away. Same deal, except this time he interjects with some random profanity every now and then. I tell him I'm getting pissed and he'd better leave me alone, and I hang up.Guy calls again. And this time he's blowing a referees whistle into the phone in between laughing like a moron, swearing, and pressing all the buttons.I'm waiting for an important call here, so I cant take the phone off the hook. I've had a real bad day, I just got back from work, and I'm tired and not in the mood for BS.So I say "You like funny noises? I got one you'll think is hilarious, punk.", and I set the phone on my nightstand next to my gun cabinet, I take out my Remington 870 12-ga. and rack the action a few times real good right next to the mouthpiece.He's gone by the time I get back to the phone. Theres been no more calls since then, so I guess I got his attention.I'm just a little guilty, though. I dont like scaring people. If the guy had stopped bugging me and being a horses-rear, I would have let it lie.

Comments

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you let guys like that get under your skin, and especially if you show they get under your skin, then they have accomplished what they set out to do. I know it is hard to do, but to deal with a jerk like that, you have to speak softly and act as if you don't care what they are doing...like you don't mind if they waste their time trying to bother you. In reality, you may be boiling mad, but you can't let on to that. When you react the total opposite from they way they want you to, they will usually give up and go away.Another way of saying it: Don't be suckered into getting all torqued out of shape. If you do, then they won.
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was this person a friend or some stranger?
  • Options
    Big TimberBig Timber Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time this happens.......Just pretend like you know the guy and say hey what's going on!! Havent heard from you in awhile......This will royally piss the guy off. Just like rafter said, don't let him get the best of you. Though it does sound like you scared the shat out of him.Nice work,BT
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Piss on all that happy polite crap,,, I like the shotgun answer! LMFAO
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try *69. Sometimes they aren't smart enough to block it.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gotta admit, I liked your reaction... It was something I'd have thought of, but Big Timber has a point. The nicer you are, the more pissed THEY get.I was driving down Interstate 10 near my home. Medium traffic. I signal and change lanes, inadvertantly cutting off some wilda$$ driver. Both of us got pissed, shaking our fist from the window, then it hit me. I stopped shaking my fists, gave him a BIG 'OL smile, and waved. He FUMED. Then, I blew him a kiss-my-@$$. He looked like he was going to have a heart attack.End result:We both started off pissed, and I'm the one that ended up happy. Not sure if you can use that over the phone, but maybe it'll give you some ideas.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure the shotgun bit had any effect. Who is afraid of that through a phoneline. I'da farted in the phone and had a laugh of my own.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Get Caller-ID.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I know what he was afraid of. He probably thought you were going to shoot it with the muzzle next to the mouth piece, now that would have had long lasting effects! Makes me wonder.......???
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This person was acting like a child. A friend of mine was have problems with his daughter so they started going to a child psychologist. He told me one thing that the doctor told him and his wife that has stuck with me for years. That is if you let your child get you pissed the child has won. It is a very hard concept to live by but I think it makes a lot of sense and I try to keep it in mind whenever somebody is being a butt head.Jim
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, everytime someone tries to piss you off and succeeds, they win.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I learned at a very young age that bullies and cranks are on a power trip. If you don't react or react in a positive manor they lose that power and soon lose interest.
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    Bullz, gotta admit your response was clever. but you just let that guy know what you got at home. make sure you keep it locked up tight.
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to have to second the opinion on smiling. I have always had a slow temper, however there are a few people who just know how to get under the skin. Being what I consider one of the "Old School NCO's" it's not below me to tuck in my collar and walk to the nearest woodline or "pop the top" for a bit of "wall to wall counseling" (between u and me of course )However there are always the one with whom that is not an option, case in point a 1lt that I have to babysit on a daily basis. I swear this SOB was out to set me up for failure, anyway he could. Anyway my BDEFSNCO pulled me aside and we had a talk before i flipped. Same thing that's being said here....SMILE It has been three weeks now and I am back in my easygoing mood while this guy looks like someone just pissed in his grits 24/7.
    "An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss soaked paper bag!" -Patton
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just blow in the reciever and hang upblowing is the loadest sound you can make on the phone.hanging up takes less energy than dialing.*69
  • Options
    Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have fired after racking the action. Out the window in a rural area of course.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye,My favorite thing to do is hang up, then hit *69. It will call them back. When they answer, I say "Now I've got your number, and I'm reporting it to the phone company and the police." Usually put's an end to it right away.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE![This message has been edited by dheffley (edited 03-01-2002).]
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had harassing calls & tried *69; often it works. I also have had drunken ex-in-laws give me some grief. .44 Mag muzzle next to the mouth piece after cranking the volume control to max. End of calls. Understood someone had difficulty hearing for a day or so. Aw, gee. I wouldn't resort to the firearms business, however, unless I knew who it was, for security reasons. Now if only I could figure out how to do something like that to the damn telemarketers!
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, It's pretty easy to find someone's address with their phone number, and you just told him you've got guns. It's fun to show them off, just remember you don't know whose really lookin...Munkey
    Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you screwed up, you should have used a Ithaca mod 37
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, your story reminds me of an older gentleman that was my supervisor for a number of years, whom I learned a great deal from and to this day have an imense amount of respect for. I used to agitate him just to see if I could get him rattled, and he would look me right in the eye and tell me:"It will take a better man than you to pi$$ me off"! What a man and a true gentleman indeed. To this day when someone mentions gentleman his picture comes to mind!
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he calls again use your sexiest voice and ask him what he's wearing. Of course, if he starts to tell you, you're on your own.