In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

STUDENT EXPELLED FOR INTEREST IN GUNS, JUDGE OVERRULES

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
STUDENT EXPELLED FOR INTEREST IN GUNS, JUDGE OVERRULES, SCHOOL DOESN'T CARE WHAT JUDGE THINKS February 6, 2002 - by John Birch, Concealed Carry Keep this email address in mind: nrobb@d211.org. This is the email to Palatine High School Principal Dr. Nancy Robb. The Palatine High School people evidently have this view that those who are Second Amendment supporters are mentally ill. When the Palatine High School found that student Patrick Bryant dared to have pro-Second Amendment materials in his school locker they expelled him. However, since they are "compassionate liberals," they stayed the expulsion as long a Patrick was enrolled at Connections Day School, a school for students with emotional and behavioral problems.I trust you can see what is going on here. On one hand Mayor Daley says law abiding gun owners are responsible for the fact that his streets are a river of blood due to gun violence. I can tell you that Mayor Daley makes no distinction at all between a gang banger and a citizen with a FOID card. He'll put your butt in jail just the same and call it "Fighting Crime."On the other side we have the liberals oozing compassion by explaining that young Patrick just "needs help." His love of guns shows he's emotionally disturbed and he needs to be in a "special" school. Isn't that sweet? Maybe all of us need to spend some time locked up by the state until we get over our irrational love of the Second Amendment? The demonization of gun owners goes on. Those that do not own guns are getting pabulum about kids and guns rammed down their throat. No wonder soccer moms are afraid of guns! Amazingly, they are the ones that would benefit the most from having a gun in the home.Though a judge has ordered Patrick be reinstated, Palatine High School has refused to readmit him.Patrick did not have any guns, but he did have a few rounds of ammunition in his room at home, but no FOID card. A technical violation of the law that resulted in juvenile probation. Parents, get your kids FOID cards! Even my 2 year old son has one. Also, by getting FOID cards for your children you become exempt from the Illinois Trigger Lock law.Here is the Concealed Carry, Inc. call to action: EMAIL CAMPAIGN: Just cut and paste the below and send a message to the principal, the school board, and the District 211 superintendent all at once:nrobb@d211.org; mswierczewski@d211.org; sfarmer@d211.org; dstrauss@d211.org; tanderson@d211.org; lynndavis@d211.org; cfritz@d211.org; aklimkowicz@d211.org; rmalito@d211.org; rrozycki@d211.orgThis email is going out to many of you, but to be effective you have to pass this edition of CC NEWS on! It is essential we inundate their email so they understand we are keeping AN EYE ON THEM!When you write to them our demands are:1. The immediate reinstatement of Patrick Bryant to all classes and school functions at Palatine High School.2. A written apology to Patrick Bryant, from Dr. Robb, in the Palatine High School Newsletter for the schools over reaction to Patrick's patriotism. Please pass this email on...if Palatine High School gets away with this, your local high school will be next! You Betcha!Teen's expulsion reversed But Palatine High delays allowing student to returnBy Lynette KalsnesTribune staff reporterPublished February 6, 2002 A student who kept pictures of weapons in his school locker said he feels vindicated after a judge overturned his expulsion from Palatine High School. "Justice is finally served," Patrick Bryant said Tuesday. Bryant was expelled in February 2001 after police searching his locker found a doodle of a gun, a photo of two swords, an essay defending the right to bear arms and another writing assignment that mentioned weapons, according to his lawyer.On Friday, Cook County Circuit Judge Nancy Arnold said Bryant's expulsion was "arbitrary and capricious" and not supported by the evidence.But Bryant, a 16-year-old junior, is still trying to get back into the school.His mother, Mary Bryant, went to the school Tuesday to re-enroll him, hoping he could start there Wednesday after a year in an alternative school. But she was turned away to await the district's discussions with its lawyers."That's not fair at all," she said. "I don't think they have any realization of what this does to a child. Once you expel them, you've taken them away from their friends and their social activities." "We want to comply with the law but we also need to make sure we are acting in an appropriate manner with regard to all of our students," Associate Supt. Bob Rozycki said. The district has 30 days to appeal the judge's ruling, and the school board will meet with attorneys Thursday to discuss options, said the district's attorney, Todd Faulkner. The family's attorney, Steve Glink, said he plans to go back to court Wednesday and ask the judge to order the boy's return to school. The Township High School District 211 Board had put the expulsion on hold as long as Bryant enrolled in Connections Day School, a school for students with emotional and behavioral problems, according to the lawsuit filed by the family against the district. Bryant now attends that alternative school. In the lawsuit and early media accounts, Bryant was identified only as "Patrick B." But in the days since Arnold's ruling, Bryant and his family have been speaking freely to the media, hoping to get their side of the story out. "I'm just glad we finally got the case heard, and it was found the school wrongly expelled him," his mother said. "He'll be going back. We feel bad he missed out on normal high school life."Glink said he understood the district's decision in light of school shootings across the country. "But I think they were wrong, and so did the judge," he said. Bryant's mother still thinks the district overreacted. "He shows an interest in guns," she said. "He wants to join the Marines. I don't see anything wrong with that. Because you're interested in firearms ... doesn't mean you're going around killing people." Arnold said the district failed to prove Bryant threatened any students on school grounds and said having photos and literature about guns was not enough to support expulsion. After the locker search, police searched Bryant's bedroom and found fireworks, a BB-gun and some ammunition, his mother said. There were no guns in the house.Bryant was sentenced in juvenile court to probation and community service for possession of ammunition without a firearm owner's identification card, according to authorities. 2/5/02 4:06: AM Central Standard Time Guns Still Legal in VirginiaCapitol Buildings From: AOL News By BOB LEWIS .c The Associated Press RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Like many states, Virginia has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars since Sept. 11 putting metal detectors and X-ray machines at its Capitol doors to thwart a deadly terrorist rampage. Visitors now entering the 200-year-old Capitol are asked to let officers inspect anything that might trigger a metal detector - cell phones, pagers, keys and guns. Yes, guns. In Richmond, it's legal for people never convicted of a felony to discreetly pack heat - even in critical government buildings - as long as they possess a court-issued concealed weapons permit. If the firearm is in plain view, the permit isn't necessary. ``If anything, maybe it makes us safer having law-abiding citizens in here who can defend themselves if they have to,'' said House Speaker S. Vance Wilkins Jr. Other states also allow guns into the halls of statehouses. The National Conference of State Legislatures isn't sure how many since most legislatures are in the midst of reassessing statehouse security, said Kae Warnock, a research analyst with the conference. People toting weapons into Kentucky's Capitol in Frankfort must sign in at entrances and show their permits, said Capt. Steve Wright, head of the Kentucky State Police legislative security detail. They can go anywhere in the Capitol and the adjoining Capitol Annex, except for the House and Senate chambers and legislative committee hearings, Wright said. Occasionally, the guns trigger metal detectors installed at Capitol entrances, and when they do, people are usually up front about their weapons and show officers their permits, Wright said. ``We've had no problem of people trying to slip weapons in,'' Wright said. Gun control groups say it's bad policy to allow weapons in capitols as the nation struggles to harden its centers of government and finance against terrorist attacks. ``This opens a can of worms for law enforcement, for example, who have to guard the capitols, and it is an invitation for accidents to happen or for people to lose their temper with lethal results,'' said Nancy Hwa, a spokeswoman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Handgun Violence. John Velleco, a lobbyist for Gun Owners of America, said the threat of terrorism is all the more reason to allow law-abiding people to carry guns into capitols. ``Studies suggest that people who carry guns are part of the solution to crime problems and terrorists,'' Velleco said. ``If you prohibit the good guys from carrying guns, then we're all sitting ducks.'' Warnock said there is some reluctance among legislatures to make firearms policies in their capitols more restrictive, even in a nation on guard for terrorism. ``Capitol buildings are public space. Legislatures have been watching what they do because of the perception that they would be restricting access to the legislative process,'' she said. In Virginia, House and Senate leaders last year designated more than $500,000 for new security hardware and law-enforcement officers to screen all who enter the Capitol, the General Assembly Building and the Virginia Supreme Court. The state's Capitol Police officers at doorways say they occasionally encounter concealed-weapons permit holders who bring their guns. They make sure the permits are valid and match those who carry them, then allow them to go their way. The officers say they have not encountered anyone carrying a firearm without a permit. They keep no tally of people who bring in guns. ``I think it puts stress on any person, police officer or not, when you bring guns around them and they're uncertain about the gun owner and why he might have a gun in a particular location,'' said Col. George Mason, chief of the Capitol Police. ``Sure, it adds a little more tension, but it's no more than the larger threat we're currently working under, the threat of terrorism,'' Mason said. On the Net: Gun Owners of America: http://www.gunowners.org Brady Campaign: http://www.bradycampaign.org http://www.friendsofliberty.com/concealedcarry/2002/020602.htm

Comments

• smokey1smokey1 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My four-teen year old son was in the process of drawing a design depicting my model 94 Winchester and his Savage 270 that was to end up being his school shop-class project commemorating our first firearm deer season hunting together, as well as my Christmas present to be displayed on our gun cabinet.His shop teacher seen him drawing a sketch of my model 94 and informed him that it was against school policy for him to draw a depiction of a gun. My son quit drawing and later that night related the story to me. One call to the principal the next morning was all it took to staighten the non-sense out.Gun owners need to be loud and proud. The gun grabbers sure as hell are.Changing attitudes about gun ownership starts at home. This young man's parents in Illisnois should be commended.
  • pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    here goes my letter to the nim-rodsGood morning,I just recently came across an article in the news about Mr. Bryant and how he was expelled from school for having a drawing of a gun in his locker. I don't know the full details of what happened in that school when this was found, but expelling him was a bit out of line. I understand that it is the job of the school board to protect the students, but in expelling Mr. Bryant a clear message was sent. A message that it is wrong to protect the second amendment, and it demonizes firearms and those that enjoy them as a hobby. I have just recently started to enjoy this hobby, and it seems that every day there is news about someone trying to relieve me of my right. I do not have any children at the moment, but I can guarantee that they when the time comes, they will be raised with the same respect for firearms that was taught to me.Rather than having expelled the child from school, why not speak to the parents? Try to understand why he had what he had, and understand that not everyone in the country that likes to go to a shooting range and fire a few rounds is a terrorist. It is this kind of conduct in our schools that is tearing apart the moral fiber of the country. I sincerely hope and pray that Mr. Bryant be let back in to this school. Thank you for your time.God bless you, and God bless America.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not being a lawyer, (for which I shall be eternally grateful), it seems to me that the school district here is in contempt of court. After all, aren't they refusing to obey a court ordered return to school for this kid?Mudge the confused
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent an e-mail to the idiot principal but it was returned undeliverable. Maybe she changed her ad knowing how much flack she was in for.
    PC=BS
  • thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge- It does appear that way. However, the appeals court may have granted a preliminary injunction on appeal (basically delaying the order until the appeal is over). If not (depending on the state law) the "decision makers" could be thrown in jail. Also, this boy can sue on so many grounds (most importantly, classification as mentally ill and blocking his education).
    The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes we judges fail to state the obvious in our orders. (Did you ever write something that was clear to you, but was misintrepreted by someone else?) The judge in this case apparently just found that the expulsion order was arbitrary and capricious, which would make it void, and assumed the school would take the student back without being ordered to do so. It does not appear that the order specifically directed the school to take the student back immediately. If the order is being appealed, the status of the student during the appeal process is up in the air until some court addresses that issue as well. Absent a clear violation of the court order, no one will be found in contempt. This is what we get from the constant attack on guns and gun owners. Those not interested in firearms are easily convinced that all guns and gun owners are a threat, so anyone with even a picture of a gun is considered a threat.
    edited November -1
    JudgeColt, You hit the proverbial nail on the head. Freedom loving parents should meet head on with a school board that refuses to honor the parent-child relationship.Parents should vocalize their opinion regarding gun ownership, and denounce a system that promotes states interests over the individual.
  • turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgive my ignorance, But, what does FOID stand for?And, what is the value of having one? How does it exempt you?I'm ignorant today, but tommorrow I need not be, concerning this matterAnd where does one get obtain one?[This message has been edited by turbo (edited 02-08-2002).]
    edited November -1
    FOID=Firearm Owner ID
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    And we trust the people who are teaching our childern that they know what is best? Parents are our best teachers.
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Smokey 1 said, FOID is a Fireams Owner Identification and comes in the form of a photo ID. You go to a local gun shop or, I imagine, a Secretary of State's office here in dear old Daley Land. Your photo is taken and an application is sent to the IL State Police for processing. Assuming no glitches with those people, your FOID card is mailed to you. It's a way way of registering owners instead of firearms. Why bother to get one? You cannot purchase a weapon in a gun store without one. You cannot purchase ammunition without one. You may not posess a firearm or ammunition without one. You may not, and this is absolutely the case, EXAMINE a firearm in a gun store without an FOID card. As of 01/01/02, you cannot shoot at the indoor range near my house without presenting an FOID card. The people on the other side in this struggle know that they are never going to win a direct assault on the Second Amendment. So they've begun to eat away at its underpinnings like the blind termites they are. Laws on how you may acquire a weapon, where and how it must be transported and stored, where you may shoot the weapon, what sort of ammunition you may posess, how large the magazine capacity is, etc., etc. all serve to draw the noose tighter and tighter. Now, this latest inanity, being suspended from school for thinking about guns.