In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Table & Radial Arm Saw Advice.

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
I haven't bought any stationary power tools in 35 years. Back then most of my tools were Craftsman. Today I bought some rental property and want to buy new saws. Craftsman isn't anything like they were I believe. Any suggestions on brands? I'm no contractor so I don't need that quality - but something good. I would like something that has retractable wheels so I can move it out of the storage area. One last thing - aluminum or steel? I assume a steel table is stronger but these saws will be in an unheated garage and I worry about rust - I'm in Indiana.

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just about any thing you buy is made over seas. DeWalt (owned by Black and Decker) has always been a good brand and usually carries a decent warranty. I would shy away from Ryobi. It's rather light duty and basically made for the weekend do-it yourselfer. Rigid is pretty good quality and carries a good warranty as well. Bosch and Milwaukee are two more rather good choices.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you really need the size of a radial arm or table saw? I am not really fond of either. You can find some really nice 12" miter saws for a reasonable price that would last you a life time. They would move around easier.

Secondly, if you really want a radial arm saw its hard to beat those old craftsman. I know of two of them that must be 40 years old still going strong.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of my stuff is Delta, can't go wrong. Look in Craigs list if you are near one, sometimes a good deal there. You are right about the old Sears stuff, it was good but now the advice is "Stay away from Sears stuff with an electrical cord"
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jet has some nice table saws, their fence system works pretty good...
    [;)]

Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Have a Craftsman table saw and miter saw, no issues with either of them in about 7 years of usage.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all my tools are Dewalt.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,703 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    Jet has some nice table saws, their fence system works pretty good...
    [;)]

Don

I bought a Jet table saw at a yard sale, once. That thing was heavy! A lot of the pieces were missing, fence, rails, etc.
    Traded it to my neighbor, and he was able to find all the replacement parts over the phone.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    all my tools are Dewalt.

All my other tools are too...but my saws are Craftsman. Except for my sawzall...Dewalt. Best tool I've ever owned.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my tools are powermatic. You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Radial arm saws seem to have gone with the wind, but I own one which was bought many years ago. In its place I would recommend a compound miter saw. I too would recommend a Delta table saw. They are not cheap but mine is many years old and still runs great.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, Pat, I did a lot of web searches yesterday and noticed that many companies don't even offer radial arm saws. That's what 35 years has done to me!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
    edited November -1
    milwakke(SP) somewhat more $ but damn worth every penny
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    Radial arm saws seem to have gone with the wind, but I own one which was bought many years ago. In its place I would recommend a compound miter saw. I too would recommend a Delta table saw. They are not cheap but mine is many years old and still runs great.

THat's what I thought. The radial arm miter saw replaced both the table saw and the radial arm saw.

If you really want on, search auctions for a good old one.
  • Options
    KcKc Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know your application exactly. But I have a cabinet shop and have lots of saw experience (and can still count to ten on my fingers)!!Look at the ridgid 10" table saw. Folds up, has wheels, power and doesnt rust.Good to take to a jobsite. Radial arm saw..I dont have a use for them. We constantly upgrade, or attempt to, and are currently happy with the Hitachi 12" sliding compound miter saw on a mobile stand. I get to try all kinds of stuff, from most manufacturers and I do not think that one maker does every tool right.
    Thats my .o2