In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

immatation crab what really is it

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
immatation crab what really is it?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
SEMPER FI

Comments

• RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most Usually it is Pollock. Heavily flavored and sugared. Pollock is a fish that is native to northern altlantic and pacific oceans. They can be caught small (1ft) and get very large when mature (60lbs and more).

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought it was Monkfish, or is that what they use for imitation scallops?
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats better than what i was gonna guess.[8D]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    In florida Imitation Scallops are from the sting rays

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095

animatflip.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif

Yes they cut the scallops out of the wings of stingrays. Can't hardly tell the difference.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it tastes good to you and don't make you sick, sometimes it is best not to ask. But to the question ... yep it is just a mixture of fish Pollock and other.

As for the ray/skate scallops when I want to broil some bacon wrapped large scallops I really like the ray/skate immatations better. Then there are the tiny bay scallops and nothing tastes like the real ting.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095

animatflip.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif

In So. Kal they use Shark.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Monkfish is in the shark/ray family. Contenderman, bacon wrapped scallops? I got to try that![:p]
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Surimi, a fish paste made from pollock.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Monk fish is called the "poor man's lobster" not scallop. Hope that helps.

Skate wings are a little firmer than real scallops but taste very similar. Depends on how you are going to serve them.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    thanx now i know what i had for lunch[xx(]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the Imitation crab was silicone caulking from Home Depot.
  • pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya don't wanna know Marine[:D][:D]

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D] Scallops are a shell fish, How do they get away selling Sting Rays and i understand they use Shark meat also for Scallops..[?]..isn't that some kinda false advertising [?] [V] man if ya don't catch it your self you never know what yer eating.[xx(]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe when the scallops are imitation they are usually called Sea Scallops. Never eaten any cause I buy scallops off the boat that drags in front of my house. The scallops I eat grow about 100yds from my bedroom.

Monkfish is an ugly fish. Mostly head, supposed to be good eatin, never had any as it is usually very expensive.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sea scallops are the big 'uns, bay scallops the smaller,shark and ray has to be labeled as such.The imitation crab is,as stated,a mixture of pollack(a mild white fish) hake,cod and almost anything else.Sorta the sausage of the seafood world.

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a real scollop the grain of the flesh is vertcial.An artifical scollop the grain is horizontal.
    [:)]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We fished for pollock in the Bering sea, delivered to the Jap processors.

They make imitation crab, salami(believe it or not),bacon, & a huge number of other products.
    They paid us 1/4 cents a pound for incidental catch(sea lions, sharks, rays, seals, & who-knows-what-else) & I am sure it all went into the same grinder.
    Stuff actually tasted pretty good, though.
    [^][^]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So basically its fish lips and Alpha-holes? Ocean hotdogs. Great, another wonderful mystery ruined for me.[V]

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "its the people...the peeeeople!" if it doesnt have scales, its all trafe. would you eat garbage off the ocean floor if you got hungry on a dive? then why would you eat the vacumm cleaners that keep the ocean floor clean? maybe GOD knows what he's talking about afterall?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Pollock is also found at the grocer under the name of Alaskan Walleye. Poor comparison if you ask me. You could leave a freshwatter walleye fillet on a sunny bank for a week and it would still taste better than Pollack.
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a monk bring me a fish one time...st augustine fl..monks tavern i think it was called....[:D]

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    You know, I'm starting to wonder if, when they grind up the fish to make the imitation crab, do they use the whole fish? Eyeballs, guts, etc? Because I can't believe they take the time and money to fillet each and every one of those little fish they use. In the 1950's there was a serious suggestion on how to fight hunger in the undeveloped countries. This idea was to catch fish and take the entire fish and grind it totally up to make fish meal. Anybody know?

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Does the name "solyent Green" mean anything to you?

JuJu(shivering)