In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rock Island Armory .45 ..... Report

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Well here it is, first hand news about the Rock Island Armory .45!My next door neighbor got one of the new Rock Island Armory .45's the slide & frame are (or seem to be) new and had good fit, the internals are another story ... fresh out of the box it wouldnt extract, upon closer inspection the extractor claw was practically worn away, the fireing pin looked like WWII vintage ... crudy and worn. Trigger, sear, hammer and barrel all looked used but in good shape and functioned fine. We replaced the extractor and firing pin and it had several feed problems, replaced the mag with a Wilson Combat I had with me, then it functioned perfectly with no further FTF or any other type of problems using ball ammo. Bottom line, is if you have a little 1911 knowlage and can handle small stuff they seem to be a great starting place.
GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Thats what it looked like in my neighbors "Brand New" one, slide, frame & grips appeared new but internals looked used. There's a big diffrence between a extracter with a broken claw and one that has been worn down, and the firing pin had old crud on it ... saw it with my own eyes!Everything was standard GI parts, maybe old de-milled surplus bought from government ...
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimber--I was just about to buy one of these, when I emailed SARCO they said %100 G.I. interchageable, BRAND NEW, $285 +$8 ship and that they have sold more than 300 and 1 has come back for feed ramp work.You have me scared, I only get 1 new gun this year (my b-day in Sept.) I really want this gun I hope you can give us more news on how well it shoots. I want this to be my first 1911 working-up gun.thanks
    edited November -1
    DENWANot meaning to scare anyone! I've been asking around about these and nobody seemed to know anything about them, when my neighbor got one I thought I'd share the only 1st hand knowlage I had.
    edited November -1
    KIMBERKID-- I think I am going to get one but keep us posted on how well it shoots!thanks
    edited November -1
    So far hes shot about 150 rounds through it with no more problems, and no problems consistantly hitting at a 12" round gong at 50 yards ...Now Larry loves it! he's already thinking of dressing it up by upgrading the rear sight to a ghostring, changing the grip safety for a beaver tail, extended slide release & thumb safety ... hes got the fever!
    edited November -1
    lets just face it dano-- if it aint a beretta, baretta, or biretta it aint sheeit now is it.Just teasin ya have a good one.BTW what do you all think about Llama'a 45 pistols, are they G.I. parts interchangeable or are they junk?[This message has been edited by DENWA (edited 07-27-2001).]
  • semi-autosemi-auto Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I closely examined two consecutively numbered Rock Islands at a shop. Both were poorly constructed in fit and finish. Priced well beyond the well-made Charles Daly, It made absolutely no sense as a purchase!
    edited November -1
    Now I have to look for another pistol.Too much bad stuff about these going around.thanks
    edited November -1
    It sounds like there is no "Quality Control" done on these; Are they are just thrown together? Maybe my neighbor Larry just got lucky cause his does have a good slide/frame fit and the barrel locks up tight ... I'm going to the 31ST Annual K.C. National Summer Arms Show this weekend and I'll keep an eye out for some ... hope to report more later!
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much do these Rock Island Armory pistols cost? I cannot imagine that they are selling for $300 or less. If they are selling for around $400, they are very close in cost to a quality pistol, like a Springfield or Colt. Even if they are selling for around $300, save your money a while longer and get a known quality pistol.
    edited November -1
    They have been advertised in Shotgun News for $285 retail
  • semi-autosemi-auto Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were trying for $425, I asked if he meant the pair! Answer was "each", I laughed!
  • crunchyriffcrunchyriff Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi guys! New to this BBS. I wanted to chip in here.I haven't seen a R.I.A. 1911 in person yet, but, FWIW, I did check out a new 'Gummint' 1911 Springfield the other day... I am sorry to say that the particular piece I inspected was not even close to the quality of my IAI M5000 Commander clone.( should I duck now??)The trigger was absolutely awful, and the 'parkerized' finish was very uneven- matte in some areas, and near gloss in others. It looked like it was applied out of a spray can.I understand this model is the "Govt issue" jobbie, and a virtual box-stock GI issue type; but for the price they want, I was dismally turned off. I don't care if it does say Springfield Armory on the side.As mentioned above- the Charles Daly is pretty hard to beat for a "budget" .45, if you can get past the white logo on the slide, (and that is easy to deal with).Of course, when I put the S.A. 1911 down, I next grabbed a new Kimber "commander" style gun, with the melt package.Oooohhh la la.....