In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I am scared for my son....I think a major war is..

michael minarikmichael minarik Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I am scared for my 19-year old son, I think a major war is on the horizon. When I was on LRRP's(66-69) there were time's I dreamt about having a son and that I would not let him experience the same turmoil and hate and death that was going on in my era...now what... I am scared.

Comments

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too bad old men aren't required to fight in all wars...on the front lines. If they had to lead the charges there would be fewer wars. (Plus old men are a lot more dispensable than young men.)

P.S. I'm an old man so I can say that.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see a major war coming with direct U.S. participation. It is more likely that we'll either stand back and let Israel and the Palestinians duke it out, or send in U.N. peacekeepers to separate them. Now that the Arab nations have seen us wipe the floor with the Taliban army, who kept the Russians at bay for years, they are a lot less likely to start something big. We simply have outstripped them all technologically, and we can flatten them from the air and kill them with unmanned aircraft -- and our capabilities are only improving right now. They have a lot more to gain by being friendly.

I think there will be major incidents, surprises, incursions, terrorist acts, and a variety of actions, but I do not see the U.S. involved in a major war in a way that will cause large numbers of U.S. casualties. Still, our armed forces are in harm's way and I salute and admire them for what they do and what they risk. Try not to worry more than is necessary, or borrow trouble from tomorrow, which as we all know never comes -- at least not the way we worry it will.

The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member.
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    michael, I can only offer prayers. I would suggest your son is part of the finest military this world has ever seen. That he has been given the best training available to do the task at hand. And if faced with war, he will answer the call the same as you did. I thank you for answering that same call years ago.

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look on the bright side, hes not carrying that heavy old 30-06 warhorse of a gun around either, so he will be able to carry more rounds and run faster, enabling him to protect himself better. I JUST HAD TO THROW THAT IN THERE!!! Seriously, dont sweat it. Whether or not we are headed for a war is irrelevant. The chances of your son becoming a victim of a vehicle accident on one of America's many roads, is incredibly more likely than him getting hurt in battle. Statistics prove it.
    If anyone asks me to prove it, I'll smack ya'.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What was that quote about the tree of liberty being refreshed by something or other? It escapes me now. I got cussed out by a parent yesterday because I was talking to his son who was going through nursing school at the local community college. There was no way he was going to let his son save thousands of dollars to become an LPN in the Army Reserves and get experience and training and discipline and all of that other good stuff that Western Iowa Tech Community College (aka "the 13th Grade") won't give him. I told him not to worry about it. He can write letters to the son of the next gentleman who is willing to let his boy serve his country.

Edited by - idsman75 on 04/13/2002 10:50:51
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Somewhere you missed the point. We are at war... A major one at that!
    Our enemy has declared that you and I (and every infidel) in this world will be a participant! There are no bounds, no age limits, no exemptions, and no exceptions.

That stated, isn't it better to be armed and trained to fight these miserable creatures than to be sitting at your desk on the 80th floor of your office building when some one of these kooks drives a 767 into the 75th floor? Isn't it better to take the fight to them than let them bring it to us?

One last thought... Vietnam was a case where we fought a potential threat. One that never became reality as far as an actual attack on U.S. soil. 9/11 made all the difference... War was declared by an attack on all of us.

When a violent crime is being committed against you or your family, the one thing you don't have is the option to choose whether to become involved.

For better or worse... You Are!
    We all are!

nord
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nord, I agree...We all are involved, and had better face the facts...If you think for one minute that what happened on 9/11/02 can't happen again....you are only fooling your self. How many suicide bombers have attacked Isreal, and how many of those were detected and stopped from carrying out their dastardly deeds? How long do you think it will be before those zealots decide to carry out such attacks on our soil? Maybe you will call me paranoid, but I see the big picture, and I think it won't be long...Just stay prepared for anything...better safe than sorry.....

keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~