In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun purchase legality

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Ok.....let's say I find a Barrett semi-auto at a gun show (or dealer) that's not in my home state. Can I take the gun home with me?I seem to have some recollection of one of youse guy saying that I could buy a long gun "out of state" but I don't remember the particulars of such a transaction.When you get to be a "geezer", your memory is the SECOND thing to go. (You don't wanna' know.) Mudge the impo....make that forgetful
I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge you can indeed buy a long gun in another state (Unless that state would have a regulation prohibiting it, I do not know if any do) and take it home with you. Hand guns must be sent through an FFL, but rifles and shotguns may be purchases and transported by you. There may be some exceptions such as Class III and possibly others.He Dog the Obfuscator[This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 04-09-2002).]
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dog....thanks. I thought I was right. No classIII. Barrett. 50.Obfuscator???? You've been at the thesaurus again. Mudge the cunning linguist
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mamma's Boy! (Mamma's favorite Boy that is!)
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You all sure about that info?
    I was at a gun show in New York, and was told if I wanted to purchase a rifle, it had to be sent to an FFL in my home state. I think one has to consider state laws to answer the question

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo, I noted above "(Unless that state would have a regulation prohibiting it, I do not know if any do)." There may indeed be some states that require transfers through FFL's, and certainly if the rifle is shipped it must go through an FFL. In many cases you can buy in another state and when the FBI "proceed" is given, you can put it in your pick-up and take it home.

He DogWhen only the police have guns, it is a police state.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just remembered I was in a gun store in Jersey last week, and was told if I wanted to purchase a gun from the store, it would have to be sent to a dealer in PA.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is certainly true for pistols, and it could be state law for rifles in those repressive Eastern states:O). It might also be the policy of a particular gun store. Just move on out west Salzo, and keep posting here, we will soon be advanced members!

He DogWhen only the police have guns, it is a police state.

Edited by - He Dog on 04/10/2002 18:47:35
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Mudge,

I recently attempted to purchase a Preban Colt AR-15 from a Gun Shop in Missouri. I was told I could purchase it, but it would have to be shipped to an FFL in my home state (Illinois)

I believe this was because of restrictions in my state.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several states will not sell to you if you are from out of state. I know Virginia insists that it go through an FFL even if it is a long gun. I guess they have a problem with people purchasing guns in Virginia and taking them up to the less free District of Columbia.

Interestingly enough, I managed to purchase my first handgun without any identification in the state from where I purchased it. I was 21 and had just finished up my third year of college. I had every intent of working full time and living in that state but still carried a Minnesota drivers' license. I went into the Sheriff's office and filled out the form. I listed all information accurately and answered every question truthfully. The lady at the Sheriff's Office didn't even bother to verify that I was 21 years old! She merely asked me if the address and birthdate I listed was correct. They took my fingerprints and a couple of mugshots and issued me a permit to purchase pistols in the state where I resided at the time. I went to a police supply store where firearms were sold and purchased my first pistol. Unfortunately my car at the time had a dead battery so I left the vehicle running in the parking lot. The only key to that old Chevy Citation went to both the ignition and the trunk. I couldn't turn the vehicle off to pop the trunk because I would have had to get someone to jump-start me. I went back into the store and the Sheriff's Deputy inside told me that I should just lay the gun on the front passenger seat in plain view! I did that and never got pulled over. I'm sure there would have been a stink storm if I had gotten stopped on my way home.

All in all, I was issued a permit without any sort of state identification or proof of where I resided. I was allowed to purchase the gun with that permit and my out-of-state drivers license and then I had a cop tell me to lay the gun on the seat next to me in plain view which was in major violation of state law.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends on state laws regaurding the sales of rifles and shot guns. I live on the Wisconsin/ Illinois boarder and i can buy them cash and carry in Wisconsin, handguns shipped to a FFL.