In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Aftermarket magazines

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I know that most of us prefer factory magazines. However, I have also found that some aftermarket magazines work well. I have never had trouble with a Meggar who also makes the "factory" magazines for Browning Hi-Power pistols and throws the Browning logo on them.With that being said, has anyone had any experience with Western Metal Products aftermarket magazines? I was thinking about getting a Kel Tec Sub-2000 or a Marlin Camp carbine. They both accept the hi-cap S&W 59 series magazines and many aftermarket ones can be found for them. Western Metal Products anyone?

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a drawer full of after market mags. Not one of them operates perfectly. I just got two 30 round mags(9mm)that are Western Metal and will NOT accept WOLF or NINCO Ball Ammo.I have the same problem with the others. Blunt nose ammo fits and hand ejects all right. I'm only buying Original Mags from now on, but I'll have to settle for 15 round mags. Ruger (as far as I know) never made 30 round mags. Thats why I bought after market Mags. Mine are for the Ruger P-Series. Maybe you will have better luck with a different make gun.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bought a 30 round USA mag. for a mini 30 that would not even fit in the rifle.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking about one of the 9mm carbines just for plinking at the range. I'm sure this could be accomplished less expensively with my .22 but I thought it would be fun to own. If I were ever to use it for home defense I would go with a factory mag. Western Metal 30-rounders go for under $20 so I figured I'd ask for some advice from the peanut gallery here. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what magazines work with the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP?
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I want to pass along something I learned about certain after market mags. This may (or may not) help you increase your supply of reliable hi-cap mags. I must qualify this by saying I've only tried it with Beretta 92F, I haven't done it in my Glock 21, the lack of after market mags for the Glock 21 being the reason.As with many others, I was frustrated with the lack or reliabilty in after market mags in the Beretta. Now, I have several factory Beretta 15 round mags but don't want to wear them out, so I was playing with the cheap after market mags of different varieties, including 30 round mags. Of course, the big problems with many after market mags is feeding and the ability to hold the slide open on the last round.Just to see if it would work, I pulled the follower out of a factory 10 round Beretta mag and put it in a 15 round after market mag. The installation of the factory Beretta follower made the cheap after market mag function just like a factory mag. I fired several rounds through it and it functioned perfectly. Then I put the factory follower in a 30 round magazine. Again, the function was perfect through several rounds of ammo. Didn't fail to feed or hold the slide open in all my testing.Now, I'm really not sure what brand of after market mags these were, they were used when I got them. But I do know that they didn't work at first, and installing a follower from a 10 round factory Beretta mag made them function perfectly.If any of you guys want to try this with other models of firearms, I'd sure be interested in hearing if you find it works in those as well. For that matter, I bet some of you would be interested in seeing if it works.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always thought the Marlin 45 camp carbine used 1911 mags. Don't know for sure, I've never owned one.WOODS
    edited November -1
    WOODS--now that you mention it, I believe you are correct. I bought a few 15-round magazines for my Colt 1991A1 about 5 years ago. I only fired the gun with factory mags but I kept the 15-rounders loaded and accessible for home defense. Now I realize the stupidity of my actions.
  • 13fister13fister Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ids The .45 camp carbine does take 1911 mags. Cousin Amy has one for home defence, she loves it.P.S. hey boy cold beer??
    edited November -1
    13fister--Hah! Actually, I'm enjoying a refreshing Miller Lite right now. Care for one? So Amy got a Camp Carbine. Awesome. The ones in .45 ACP are expensive. I'm not sure I want one that bad. I just got my gun cabinet today and just installed the Golden Rod. I'll have to take a digital photo and email it to you.____Proud Privately Practicing Parishoner of the PVM.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-12-2002).]
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny you should ask. I posted this on another board recently:Western Makes Shoddy MagsI went out this weekend to do some target practice with my M1A. For the occasion, I bought some Western brand "Guaranteed To Function" 20 round M1A mags from Aim Surplus. Well, lemme tell you fine fellas and ladies that these are the worst magazines I've ever owned in my lfe. Taking into consideration the long line of defective USA brand mags that I have owned, this is no small feat!The first round always seemed to load fine, but the second round always jammed up the rifle. They were creative, if nothing else though. It was a different type of malfunction each time, or so it seemed. Ever had an M1A stovepipe? I haven't. I thought it was damned near impossible. Well, call me Houdini, 'cause I got it to stovepipe several times. I ruined more top quality match ammo due to misfeeds than I put downrange! In closing, I'd just like to say that these magazines were the worst investment I ever made. Hopefully I just saved someone $50 worth of ammo and another $13.95 per magazine. Buy USGI or don't buy at all.
  • k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of ram lines for my 5906 and havent had a problem, a couple of USA's for the hi power 9mm and 2 for the AR in 40, guess i got lucky, havent had a problem yet.