In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just met an idiot!

mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
I just came in off the road where I met a new local LEO. We had a short conversation in which he kept referring to me as "Old Timer" because I was carrying a revolver. Last thing he said before I left was "You better be good if your going to carry a revolver"! I made some smart comment about "Good enough" and walked away. All this time, I though you had better be good no matter what you carried. How many terrorists is he expecting to run into? How many gunfights has he been in that he needed to reload? I only mention that he was a LEO. I am not intending to bash any LEO, just * as individuals.

Comments

• timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, Mcneely, I still meet people who say that my .32 WinSpl is a crummy deer cartridge. Know what? It's fine. I have dropped every deer I've ever shot in its tracks. Because I know what shot to take, and when. There's probably someone out there who'd kick your butt with a .25 ACP derringer. LOL! But it's probably true.Carry what makes you comfortable, and practice, practice, practice! Everyone likes a different defense gun. It's nobody's business what mine is, and I hope I never have to use it. Just by making it his business without being asked, he acted like an *.
  • mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I am saying. Thanks Timberbeast.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timberbeast,I just gave my son my old .32 spec. It was an oct. bbl. 20" rifle circa 1906. It would kill anything I could hit. That gun just felt good in your hands.He gave me a Romanian AK, I'm still not sure how that feels. Some trade huh?
    "It's great to be great, but it's greater to be human." Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wundudnee ... so do you have a divider in your safe to keep them CZ'S & AK's away from your Winchesters and such? Or just buy another safe? ... Wouldn't want'em in-breeding ... BTW, it was good to meet ya!
    Sometimes the most obvious, IS the most elusive!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody knows that the only thing worth carrying is a Desert Eagle with 50 round extended mags and one of them trick magazine gizmos like Lara Croft had on Tomb Raider. Gotta look cool when yer patrolling the streets ya know.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    This "old Timer" is know to carry his H&R Victor 32 S&W. Fits in the pocket real well and will make holes in a perp.
    I Refuse to be a VictimGrumpy old man
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This young pup carries 4 Kimber Ultra's at a time, one for each pocket and instead of using mags I have made a contraption that uses a belt feed that is stuffed down my pant leg, y'all better watch out!!!!! BTW, due to high caffine intake and no sleep last night I'm feeling a little like a smart@$$ this morning!
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, I wonder if he also thinks that people who carry pistols like the Glock 36 are dumb? I mean, my little .45 will only hold 6+1. I guess if you're a poor shot you need a lot of ammo though......!
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • michael minarikmichael minarik Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've hunted Deer with 270, 308, 30-06, 300winmag, 338mag and the last two years with lever action rifles in 444 and 30-30. ICan honestly say FOR ME, i've had more fun with with the Lever's....
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just ignore him, neely. While I happen to prefer automatics, there isn't a damn thing wrong with a good wheel gun!I recently met a fella who could reload his revolver with full moon clips with about twice the speed that I can ram a fresh mag in and chamber a round!It's all about the user's skill level.Out of curiousity, which wheel gun are you carryin', old timer? (Sorry! Couldn't resist!)
    Stand And Be Counted
  • mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am still carrying a S&W Model 65. I bought a Springfield Military Spec, but I am not comfortable enough with it yet to carry on duty. I have carried a revolver for 15 years now, and the trasition is slow. I may just keep carrying the 65 now that Smith will put night sights on a revolver.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    I toted a wheelgun on the job for about 24 years. I could shade most of my troops on a draw and fire drill with it. Two pepper poppers, two shooters, one PACT timer in countdown mode. On the beep, you draw and shoot until your target is down. Start close and keep moving back to mak it more interesting.I have hauled the revolver out to cover folks from time to time, but never had to shoot at anyone. (Thank You Lord!) I never felt terribly handicapped by the 6-round capacity. The old Model 66 is wonderfully accurate, and points well for me, and the action is super slick.Now I carry a SIG 229 .40 with a 12 round capacity, because it was issued and I have to carry it. It is a very good gun. Never has jammed. Not quite as accurate as the 66 at long range, but adequate.I never will consider a revolver toter poorly armed.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • SNIPER1048SNIPER1048 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUYS: FOR A REAL TREAT GET THE VIDEO TAPE:ULTIMATE ADVANCED REVOLVER WITH JERRY MICULEKFROM DILLON RELOADING PRODUCTS. JERRY DRAWS HIS S&W REVOLVER; FIRES 6 ROUNDS SPEEDLOADS AND FIRES 6 MORE. 4.86 SECONDS TOTAL TIME.DO YOU WANT TO GO UP AGAINST HIM??? NOT ME!!
    "START THE BALL ROLLING THERE, TECTOR"
  • .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, I'm still a revolver man. Those funky "self-loaders" are fine for shootin' games, but when yer hides' on the line, think "six for sure".
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One shot-One kill! I protect house$home with short barreled, single shot, 12ga./six shot side saddle, 2 buck shot, 2 six shot, 2 slugs, it's never out of reach. I WILL get the drop on anyone who wants to try!
    Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • BayouCritterBayouCritter Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guy's like that LEO worry me. A reckless ego will get you in trouble fast. As my agency's firearms instructor I would much rather one of my officers fire one well placed shot from a revolver than have 15 rounds going god only knows where. We recently ditched our revolvers for Glocks. I've carried a revolver for 22 years, as I was going through transition school, I kept saying I can do better with my 686. Now that I trained my finger to master the trigger reset, I'm happy. I tell my officers make that first shot count, if you need to go to a second mag, in most cases you either should not have been there or you stayed too long.
  • 6MMX2846MMX284 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like revolvers myself, have semi's also, glock, s&w, ruger, sig. The nice thing about revolvers no spent cartridges left on the ground, say in the event you might just have to shoot and leave...not that I would ever do that! Did I mention how easy it is to change barrels? Gun Control is hitting your target, with whatever you are carrying.
    In God We Trust...All Others Cash!