In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

do you rabbit hunt w/ or with out a dog?

mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
i spent a fe whours out in the brush today looking for rabbits. i did n't see any but lots of tracks around (fresh snow 2 nights ago). i sure was wishing i had a dog. than i had visions of a dog chasing a rabbit so close that i couldn't shoot anyway. just was woundering what you guys do? thanks,oh ya, just so you know, useing a ruger ranch .223 have seen also some fox tracks, so i wanted something bigger that a .22. i thought about hunting that fox, but didn't know what a wounded rabbit call would do for finding rabbits. hey, can you bait rabbits? what would you use? don't tell me you hang a carrot in a tree. ok, i'm done now. i didn't know i could be so long winded, going on and on and ............

Comments

• Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    We take turns being the dog.One of us goes in the thick stuff and tries to kick em out.My hunting buddy has a beagle,but it is worthless.They weren`t moving in my corner of Michigan today. We worked on em for three hour and only saw two.Didn`t get either one of them.
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we go wabbit huntin I always end up being the dog, call me Fido
  • Options
    Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a blast hunting the with a beagle. If you want to bait them just dump buckets of corn on the ground once a week and then sit a long ways off and snipe them. Don't hardly seem like hunting though.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've hunted with and without dogs. I you have a GOOD Beagle or two (hard headed suckers!!), once the dog(s) jump the bunny it will most likely travel in a circle, just sit tight, get on a stump and wait. Dog will be wailin' with his nose in the tracks, rabbit will be ahead. Best way without a dog is after, or during fresh snow, if the tracks go into an area like a brushpile, but don't come out, it's in the. Kick heck out of it and get ready to shoot. Quick tip on fox tracks, if you didn't know already. A fox places one foot in front of the other like a cat, so the tracks will be in a straight line. If they are staggered, it's a dog. If there are no claw marks, it's a big ole' farm cat. (or bobcat).
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate Bugs Bunny ,I hate smelly goats & hate chickens , but rabbitss I like to blow them up with C4 ,Dinamite,semtec,magnatec,anything that will leave a 10 feet crater wherever they lived,even if i have to spend half of my earnings in class III permits,they smell,eat the flowers,ruin gardens spread their germ ladden Dung all over the place .. too bad Nunn will not let me to post some Bugs Bunny genocide formulas ..... AAAAH! I hate the buggers !!!!!
    M=MC?/(T/T)