In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

any GI helo mechanics here?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
I'm wondering about the Taliban claims of downing US military helicopters. They, of course, will not allow journalists to view the site, but supposedly lugged a wheel/tire assembly out as verification.Anyone know USGI helicopters well enough to tell what's shown here? If it IS from one of ours, what type? http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/10/22/hospital011022

Comments

• Options
    rodgergliderodgerglide Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really can't tell what it might be part of from that photo.It's a strut and wheel,but could be from a number of small acft,fixed wing or otherwise.Hopefully it's one of their own.Knowing that mentality,it is probably an old photo they had lying around.If they will lie about OBL,they will lie about anything.Wish I could be of more help,sorry.
    Freedom is not free,what have YOU done to support it?
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    dano-That's the one that went down in Pakistan. They're claiming that they downed this one well inside Afghanistan, near a compound belonging to Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was reported as a crash Dano. And you know our gooberment ALWAYS tells the truth.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    The Combat News Network (CNN) reported that the Helo that went down in Pakistan malf'd due to a prob with the turbine and excessive dust intake. (Pretty damn stupid if it did, I thought we mighta learned back in 1980 went Delta force lost some aircraft in the abortive attempt to rescue the hostages in the Tehran US Emabassy...not to mention the Gulf freakin' War.)I spoke to pal of mine today with the same question, he served in 'Nam and a buncha other places primarily in Helo Maint.He told me that most likely the parts shown on CNN were from a UH-1 (Huey) and were older than dirt. His intial suspicion was that the parts were from an old crash site and that desert conditions accounted for their appearance. He said to take a close look at the portion of the instrument panel they are showing and note that the anodizing on the red knob is highly faded, most likely sun-bleached.
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the Boeing marking on the wheel strut it appears to be a CH-47, or CH-46 wheel, I do recognize the two part hub assembly.And as far as it being a Huey, Of all the Huey's I've ever flown on none of them ever had wheels, the only helos the army has that have wheels are Boeing CH-47 Chanooks,Sikorsky UH-60 Blackhawks, and McDonall Douglas AH-64 Apache's...[This message has been edited by sig-man (edited 10-23-2001).]
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what is going on here, but there is definitely some disinformation going on here. I saw the Pentagon briefing today and they said that one of the blackhawks that went in to get our Rangers hit a tree on its way out of the LZ and ripped part of its landing gear off. They are apparently intimating that this is the wheel that the Taliban is showing on the news, but I'm pretty sure that the Blackhawk is a Sikorsky, not a Boeing. However, it is my understanding that a Blackhawk is powerful enough to survive an impact strong enough to rip off part of the landing gear and keep on rolling.
    When you want to dial long distance...AT&T, .223, or Jeremiah 33.3?Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    No Andrew, there is no INTENTIONAL disinformation being spread here, I am only passing on what I was told PRIOR to the most recent press release about a Blackhawk suffering some damage during an extraction.At any rate, I asked the same question, i.e. wheeels VS skids ect. What I was told was that certian Navy models of the Huey had wheels built into the skids for stowage reasons and that there where a limited number that had wheels in lieu of skids.That's what I was told, maybe my pal's yankin' my chain, but it is what it is, speculation I am passing on.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work for Bell, we build the Huey, the OH-58 and The Cobra, which is what I build the rotor system for, and we still use standard landing gear, no wheels, but have plans for the near future of building some units with wheels, can't say when, if or ever, it's the government's call on that one. From the photos I have seen around the shop floor it was gear off of a bird bigger than any attack helo.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That just doesn't look like a Blackhawk strut and wheel to me, the Blackhawk has a bigger hub and it is kind of yoked different, it looks more like a CH-47 wheel to me, but if the news says it is a Blackhawk they must be right, maybe the impact visually distorted the yoke-hub-wheel assembly...[This message has been edited by sig-man (edited 10-24-2001).]
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AH-64 Apache's The one Having 3 bb 30 mm cannon . I think some were modified withBoeing LG to hold the extra weight.
    I judge Thee!, Not for what you are , but for what you say !