In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Background checks kill gun shows???

stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have attended gunshows in Washington and Oregon.
The state of Oregon has state mandated background checks,,, at a cost of $9 each. (the last I heard)
The state of Washington doesn't.
I haven't noticed that this has "killed" gunshows in Oregon.

Now,,, before the flaming starts, let me make it clear that I very much dislike the idea of ANY background checks,, at gunshows or not.
But I keep hearing it said that "mandatory background checks will kill the gunshows!"
I just think that if we're going to use arguments to explain our opposition to proposed gun laws, we shouldn't be using arguments that have already been proven false.
This makes us appear to be just as ignorant of the facts as the anti-gun crowd who say "the assault weapons ban has reduced crime and saved lives!"

OK,, tell me how wrong I am!

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What this effectively does is kill the transfer of NON papered guns. Even in states where it is legal to sell a firearm without paperwork, when attending a "gun show" you have no choice, but to paper it.

When this first started, there was no one to call in for a background check, for any of these non FFL sellers. In effect, if you were not an FFL, you could not sell a firearm. This caused a good 30% (or more) of the sellers, that were selling their own collections, or (admittedly) just dabbled in firearms, to quit selling at gun shows. By the time they had some system in place, to do the call in for them, they had already stopped coming to the shows. Those tables were quickly gobbled up by the beanie baby, cheap knife and tools, and junk sellers. Nothing even remotely resembling guns or accessories.

No it did not kill the shows, but it sure put a crimp in the quality (and quantity) of the available inventory. Which in turn raised the prices by the "dealers" since they knew that they did not have the same "competition" they once had. As if the prices were not high enough already.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    Closing the loophole they talk about would force people to sell their firearms only through licensed dealers. This in effect would stop citizens from buying or selling their private property as well. If you make a dealer tranfer it's not going to be free You will be charged something for it. Also if you do not know it, a dealer when purchasing a firearm is required to take it back to his shop and enter it in his books. This is a technicality that many ignore but you can bet it would begin to be enforced

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NY has been requiring backround checks on guns sold at gunshows for a couple years now. I carry littlle business cards printed on my computer. If a non dealer has a gun he's selling, I take a look and maybe make a low offer. He says no and I hand him a card and tell him to call me if he has any other stuff he is selling. Sometimes I might say "I know someone looking for something like that, call me if you don't sell it". I've found a couple guns for friends that way, I just put the two people together. My card does not say I buy guns. It says I by "vintage hunting, fishing & reloading equipment". It also gives examples of non gun items I buy to resell here on GB or on ebay.

I haven't picked any guns up for myself that way yet. As far as I know I wouldn't be breaking the law if I did. Just a suggestion for you to consider.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif