In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Took a part time job!!

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'm gonna have to cut back on my posting a little bit. Going to be too busy. Mom has begged me to come work for her. She's had three nightmare employees in a row that she had to fire. Besides working my 3:30pm-1:00 am machine shop job, I'm going to be working for her from 7:00am-noon 3 days during the week and 7:30am-close saturday and sunday. I really don't want to get into that many hours a week, but, she needs the help, and I realized with my paycheck problems just how close to the bone I've been living. It will be a chance to get things caught up. Hopefully it will also give me enough extra to go buy that 8mm Sauer & sonns mannlicher I've been oogling over all these months. Of course, now that I may have found a way to pay for it, he's probably sold it!

Woods

Hamlin.gif

Comments

• maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you can help both of you out ,, alittle extra cash & give your mom a break -- if I were closer I'd help out too --- I miss waitressing !!!!
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was able to get some extra work along with my regular job. Then my wife went to work outside the home. Even though we had lots of extra money, we didn't change our standard of living one dollar. Lived in the same house--drove cars till they died--didn't take fancy vacations--didn't put one cent on credit--stayed debt free. We saved and invested everything extra we were making. It took a few years of working and saving, but we ended up putting our son through college, buying the Rafter-S ranch, retiring early from our jobs, and moving to the country. Now, every day is a holiday...but only because we didn't give in to the temptation to spend the extra money we made.

For what that story is worth,
    Rafter-S
    edited November -1
    One other little side note: My friends at work used to ask me to get on the deer lease with them. I told one, "you guys go on--some day I will buy the deer lease."

The other day as I watched a herd of deer cross one of my pastures, I remembered my statement to my friend. I realized I had done it--I bought the deer lease!

Rafter-S

P.S. My friend is still back at the plant doing the same job...at age 64.
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you done it right, rafter-s!!
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
    edited November -1
    OleDuk, I guess we did something right--we sure did it different from our friends. They are still working and in debt up to their eyeballs.

My son told me one time, "Dad, you always wanted a Cadillac. Why don't you buy one? You got the money." I told him, "son, the reason I "got the money" to buy a Cadillac is because I don't buy 'em."

Right now our lowest milage vehicle has 141,000 miles on it and is approaching 10 years old. Hopefully it will go over 200,000 miles before it dies. At that time, I won't buy a Cadillac--it will be another pickup...a used pickup.

Rafter-S
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rafter-S;
    Several years ago I was well on my way to where you are now. The first of my knee injuries wiped me out financially. Picked myself up and within 18 months had a down payment for my little fixer upper house. Between putting quite a bit of money into the house and making the mistake of not knowing when to dump my last truck, I'm just getting by. Good news is a realtor friend says my efforts should let me walk away from the house with at least $30,000.00 in my pocket. 2/3's of that will be profit. Right now I'm just making ends meet, mostly due to the truck payment I foolishly took on out of desparation last september. My thinking is running towards selling that truck even if I lose some money this summer, then I'll buy two older full size trucks. When we move in 2005 the trucks will be handy in moving. The extra money from the restaraunt is mostly going into the moving fund. If I do take some of the money for a gun, it won't be a gun I lose money on. I've seldom lost money on guns in the past ten years. While my habits aren't quite as good as yours, I am better than most when it comes to saving. Even when I was only making $6.00 an hour last spring working for Wally World, I still managed to buy a few shares of stock. I wish I had your disipline when I was in my 20's. According to my doctor, I'm not likely to be working on my feet much longer due to the arthritus in my knees. Besides that she thinks I may have done some back damage lately because I can't squat when I lift. One of the nice fringes of working for mom will be alot of free groceries. So I'll be saving even more money there. I was going to go apply at the local dollar store stocking shelves a few days a week. Just because they have a stock ownership plan I would have stuck half my pay into.

Woods

Hamlin.gif