In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Should I be worried??

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I recieved a statement today from a large telecomunications company. I've never had an account with them, nor do I desire to have an account with them. The statement said the very small balance accroud between december and january had been paid, not to pay it. The statement has my first initial and last name, with my correct street address, but the middle initial of the name is wrong. The paid bill was less than $10.00

Here's the kicker. The telephone number on this statement is nearly 400 miles away, from the (my) address on the statement.

I'm starting to wonder if someone is attempting an identity theft on me. I haven't the slightest idea which direction to turn to find out.

All I know is lately every time I turn around something wierd happens to me and I'm sick of it.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif

Comments

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Take what you have to the electronic crimes unit closest to you. If the 400 miles puts it out of state the feds will get in on it too. That is the number one growing crime these days. No guns or getaway cars, just some convict on his computer in the community room in prison ordering stuff on your accounts. In Va. not too far back they caught a group of 8 or 9 people holed up in a hotel with highspeed internet hookups in the rooms and laptops. They were hacking accounts with stolen idents and ordering stuff to be shipped to the hotel and printing checks with the stolen bank account numbers and emptying folks bank accounts. They'd stolen millions before getting caught. They stayed a little too long at that one hotel. Usually they'd move every couple weeks and start over at another hotel. I new the mother of one of the kids they got to do the hacking. When faced with twenty years in federal prison the kid turned over and got himself three years in minimum security. They'd pay the kids around $1000 a week plus room and board in the hotels they used.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Should I be worried??

IMHO,,,yes.

Spend the 19 bucks and get a complete credit report on yourself.
    This will tell you a lot.

If you see some actions on there that aren't yours,,then there should be numbers on the report you can call to start finding out whats going on.

,,,sod

cyclone.giffooter_logo.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Woods! just check your credit account, nothing new added? then Phone the place where the bill came from. Most of these scams are trying to get your account number, I get them from phony internet providers, From phony Ebay sites, wanting you to verify info, statint that your account is messed up, or that someone else is using your account.

Phone em first, if their phony, turn it over to fraud investigation of the phone company..

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    call 'em ... tell 'em they have wrong person, and don't give them any personal info over the phone

based on how the call went make your decision on referring the matter to LE

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, after spending 45 minutes in AT&T's automated call system. I found out that this person has been using my name and a social security number that has the same first three digits as mine since 1996. They've been using auto pay on the account and the last statement was returned as undeliverable. AT&T got the address off my credit report. I've gotten through to everyone but thier credit department after 20 minutes talking to a dam machine I hung up. Now I know why my family has always refused to do any kind of business with AT&T. I know I never will consider them even at half the rate of what I have now. At least now when I call between 9:00am and 5:00pm I get a person as soon as a line is open, no talking to machines.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif