In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question for lawyers here

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I know this probably varies from state to state. When does writing bad checks stop being a misdemeanor and become a felony? It looks like I might have another bounced payroll check on my hands. Is it the number of checks written or the dollar ammount? If so I may go talk to the DA's office rather than the dept of labor. I'm single with no family, of everybody in the shop I'm the one that will lose the least teaching this guy a lesson.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

Comments

• HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Not a lawyer, but I understand that if a check is issued with the knowledge that funds are not available for it, that is a felony (intent to defraud). Looking for the comments from lawyers.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Some states have a fixed dollar amount to be a felony, If the person writing the check did so in good faith, IE wasnt aware the funds were not there, usually get a grace period to make it good, If check writer passes check with knowledge the funds werent there, Depending on the amount, could be misdemeaner or felony..

However in your case , there was no intent to cash a worthless check was there??[:o)]

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not an attorney either, but it seems like I've seen some postings in stores here in Oklahoma that states something like checks over $200 are felony's.

I think you'd have a good case with the guy, if it happens repeatedly like it sounds it's kinda hard for him to deny the pattern. If he really got a new vehicle he could also be planning on filing for hardship, then bankruptcy, and end up keeping everything free and clear (isn't it grand how that all works).

Take him down Woods! [}:)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No I had no knowledge the check was worthless. Yet I now get marks on my credit rating. And returned check fees on any checks I may have written on my account. Luckily that is none this time around. I only owe the bank.

2nd question. If the company is a corporation can the person who's signature is represented on the check be held liable, if the bad check was issued with his knowledge?

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought that lawyers and interest in gun sites/forums was an oxymoron....

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    SUE the corperation, nameing all the people that could be responsable, IE President, Vice Pres, Treasurer, as defendents ,that way ya got both bases covered.

Also when exonerated , the credit reporting outfit will fix your credit report..

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not an attorney, I'm better; a Banker. It will really depend on what state you live in as to what constitutes a bad check. Usually the dollar amount is the trigger as to being a misdemeanor or a felony. I would check with local bank security department, usually those people are up on the current laws since they have to deal with them everyday.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:I always thought that lawyers and interest in gun sites/forums was an oxymoron....

Care to explain that one?

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, cuda - you are waaaaaaaay out of line on that comment. There are plenty of good lawyers and many of them shooters! Both a minority in the profession, in my experience (I went to law school myself but elected not to follow that career for my own reasons), but not so few as to justify that slur.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woods, I am reading a lot of comments. If you have been to the bank and there is not enough money in the account to cash the payroll check it is worthless. I would contact my employer immediately and notify them in writing they have --so many -- days to correct this issue and make this check good. Here in SC if one writes a bad check ( for a service ) that procedure applies. It is called giving the check writer "NOTICE". Just a little side advice would be to start looking for another employer... they are on a shoestring budget and you could be caught holding the bag if they file bankruptsy or close. Nothing criminal has occurred until they decide NOT to pay you. Good luck.
    edited November -1
    Oh, it was a different topic, wasn't it? Sorry.

Woods, the statutes vary from state to state, but intent to defraud would be a key element. In NH, this (fraud through a negotiable instrument) is a felony regardless of the sum involved, but some states may have a minimum amount limitation. Nevertheless, a bounced payroll check will bring very quick action from authorities regardless of the amount, especially if it has happened before; the case (and likely, the statutory) law will distinguish such circumstances from the person who intentionally writes a bad check to buy a TV.

The only reason you might not choose to be aggressive in contacting the NY AG would be the injury to your co-workers if the authorities close down the shop and they are out of work. But if the employer has latex checks, it's unlikely they have much job security as it is.

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel for you woodsrunner, I hope you get the money.
    My brother got involved in a deal like this. He didn't get bad checks, he didn't get paid at all.
    He was working construction, and one Friday the boss said, he didn't quite have the payroll. He paid the guys half pay, and said, Stick with me, let's keep working and in a week I will have it straightened out. Two men, of the 17 man framing crew, took the money and quit. They were the smart ones.
    The next week, it was the same story, half pay only. Four more guys bailed.
    The next week it was half pay, and the following week it was no pay at all. My brother and three other suckers were the only ones left, and he wound up never getting his pay, and he was owed $1400. This was 30 years ago, it was a lot of money.
    Well I hope you can get money out of this bum, but if he declares bankruptcy, you are screwed financially, and your only [legal] remedy will be to see if you can get criminal charges filed.
  • deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woods - You should do whatever you can to establish fraud or intent to commit fraud. Go to AG, banks, whoever you can find. Should this outfit decide to declare bankruptcy, the bankruptcy will not absolve debts incurred by fraud. In other words you can't commit a crime and use bankruptcy to get out of restitution. I would consult my attorney ASAP as this appears to be getting serious fast. Good Luck ![}:)]

Parsons.gif
    0.jpg
    When they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    think you should take care of yourself first,,unless it is the rare event all the shop is behind the boss trying to make a go of it..depends on the state laws,,the county attorney in county issued & or recieved...got a insufficient funds $6K grain check from a broker in okla on his bank in ks.... his bank could care less,,,apparently he did regular business that way.. had to file holds on his account for a fee till there was enuf $$$ to cover then my check was cashed first ... wasn't high priority for co. att's to do anything...long process...never again..good luck
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woodsrunner.........keep going to work, punch in and punch out, but surf the net all day. Take all of your bills to work and pay them. Read a book. When your boss asks you why you're not working tell him it's because your'e not being paid. [:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Icono... did I hurt your feelings??

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No Lawyer but in VA any check exceeding $100.00 is a Class III Felony.If convicted you could loose alot of your rights if you know what I mean.If I were you I would be forced to file suit against your employer.Sounds like he may be headed toward a Chapter 7 but he would still be liable to cover your cost and trouble.This would also protect your credit.Only my opinion!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
    edited November -1
    Well a tiny update and some more backround. First everyone should know that I split my money part direct deposit part live check. The secretary just can't get the direct deposits straight, though as far as I know they haven't bounced. The only problems have been with live checks. The reason for this is my mortgage. When I bought the house as a first time home buyer the bank required direct deposit. As a result I have enough to pay most of the bills done that way. That bank doesn't have a branch near where I work though. When I tried getting direct deposit for a second bank with a closer branch the secretary screwed it up. So I just decided to get my gas, grocery and spending money as a check.

The check that first bounced was from two weeks ago. This afternoon I went and cleared up that bad check and took it to work where they issued me another plus handed me this weeks check. I'm getting even smarter now and took the checks to the companies bank. They wouldn't cash them. So, I went back to work and informed my dept head. I then told him because my normal friday routine was to cash my check and go to lunch, then order supper out later, I was going home sick. I had no food in me and no means of buying lunch or supper. I also informed him that I would try to cash the check one more time. If it cashed right before the bank closed a 5:00 I would return and work a partial shift. Well it didn't and I didn't. Now I have in my possession a photo copy of the check from 2wks ago with a big NSF stamped on it. And 2 cheks that won't cash. I called the NYS dept of labor and he told me to go put in a claim on thier website. I'll try cashing them one more time in the morning. If they don't cash the ball starts rolling. Now I have a big worry. The check from 2wks ago was a little one because I had only worked 4 days. There was also a check I cashed last week that was a couple hundred dollars because I had almost ten hours of overtime on it. If that one has bounced I could be screwed nbecause I don't have any money left to reimburse my bank with.

Tonight on the way home I realized there isn't a handful of employees left there with families. They are almost all either single or near retirement age.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
    edited November -1
    cuda, my skin is thicker than that and I didn't take it personally anyway, but I did and do consider it to be both highly inaccurate and a slur on many fine people who are not at all hoplophobic. Pro-gun attorneys may be a minority, but there are many of them. Even I will admit there are good people in the PRK, Massholia and the DemoCrap party, however small the number.

edited November -1
    Teak;
    Did you know I'm a Ma$$hole by birth?? The air force had dad stationed in Mass and I was lucky enough to be born in the Chelsea Navy hospital. Cost dad a whopping $8.00 to get his first son.

Woods

Hamlin.gif