In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 auto oppinions wanted

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
As mentioned in an earlier post, my early 1911 is out of commision with a crack in the slide at the breach face. I have made the decision to convert it to a .22 and purchase a compact 45 for my daily carry gun. I'm considering the Ciener and Wilson conversions. Anyone here with experience with these units?Also, I consider myself fairly proficient and confident in the 1911 layout and prefer to stay with it.I grew up shooting my fathers Star PD. At that same age I fell in love with an early Detonics he had for sale in his shop. Saturday I'm going shopping with the intention of looking at the Kimber compact, Llama mini max, Springfield armory compact, and the Charles Daley compact. The Charles Daley is at a shop I'm familiar with and is factory reconditioned and sold "as new in box" for $325.00. I'd appreciate hearing of anyones experiences with these also.ThanksWOODS

Comments

• LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Para Ordnance .45 pistols. I recently bought a P12-45 and I like it a whole lot.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this is a stretch from what you're used to, but the Glock 36, the slimline sub-compact, is a great gun in a small package. Remarkably accurate too.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For old times sake, if you look at the auctions you can find a PD for the same price you are wanting to pay for the others. I have one and my business partner has carried one for years. He swears by his. If you want a smaller .45 than that get the Colt Defender. They weigh 22 1/2 oz and carry (7+1) more ammo than the PD.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kimber ultra carry....you won't be disapointed.
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Commander lightweight....end of discussion. Mudge the prejudiced
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.marvelprod.com A buddy of mine has one of these on order. I have talked to a couple of guys that have the conversion kit and they say they are fantastic......
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sig p220, ACCURATE!!! and smaller to conceal.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What niklasal said!
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rather than chipping in with an opinion about what other pistol you "should" buy, I'll just say; stay away from cheap POS's like the Llama or Daly. The others you mention will serve well, for ever.
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUN TESTS SAID THE KIMBER DESPITE THE COST WAS A DEFINITE BUY.THE SPRINGFIELD WAS A DONT BUY I DONT KNOW WHY I ALWAYS THOUGHT SPRINGFIELD WAS A GOOD GUN,BUT GUN TESTS IS GOOD.LOOK AT AN H&K COMPACT 45 ALSO
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Colt commander series 70. I myself do not likr the added fetures of the series 80 type pistols. I have ouned a couple of the Para ordnance high cap pistols and have had nothing but trouble. I had one that the slide cracked at the ejection port. the other one I had to do a lot of work to in order for it to function properly.
    "This we will defend"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    An HK .45 Compact is my daily carry pistol, although I have a tuned Auto-Ordinance I pack around occasionally. IMHO no collection is OK without an M1911(A1).If you look at Auto-Ordinances, be prepared to spend a few C-Notes more or a good deal of time on getting the damn thing tuned up. It took me 8 months, about 1,700 rounds, a set of swiss files, various lapping compounds, stones and sand paper in order to get mine to behave. That's not including the cost of the Pachmayer Wraparounds, Trij sights, new Chip McCormick 8 round mags w/rubber baseplates, Beavertail grip safety, extended slide release, Ambi-slide safety, Wolf Spring kit, a full length recoil rod, and.... oh, yeah, all four of the holsters I bought.Hmmmmph. Mebbe I shoulda bought a Kimber?
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SUBMARINER -- What does GUN TESTS say about the .45 Millennium PT-145? Just curious, I'll be making up my own mind too. As for the question at hand, it's always tough when you lump a gun as inexpensive as a Llama in with one as dear as a Kimber. Kimbers are the rage; my biggest local gun dealer has quite a stock. They're very pretty, but those price tags! Coincidentally, I just bought a Star PD on Gunbroker in excellent shape, because of my fond memories of a previous one as well, and I'm going to use it for my "vintage" slabside and try a PT145 for my "modern" hi-cap .45 for a while. I'm generally a Glock man, but the .45s are a bit blocky, and the PT got some high praise for its design and supposedly will shoot anything you challenge it with -- we'll see. So far, all I can say is it feels great in the hand and that enlarged front dot sight is a nice improvement. The slide seems to sit a little higher than on a Glock so I'm expecting a bit more muzzle flip. But this is a shooter, with an okay 9lb. trigger and probably okay combat accuracy. The Kimber is in another class in terms of materials, engineering, and probably precision. The fit & finish are far above the Llama or, no doubt, the Springfield. When you give me these choices, given a fat enough wallet I'd have to choose the Kimber, assuming it's de-horned well enough. On a COMPACT/carry/conceal gun, I don't want stuff sticking out all over or catching on my clothes.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember my pa-in law buying a Llama several years ago and it dismantled while being fired.Once we were in a gun shop and he asked the salesman if he had any Llamas and the salesman replied,"I don't sell junk".I did an immediate 180 and I was out the door before dad could get it on with him.I got outside and laughed till I almost wet myself.A couple months ago we were at a show and at the 1st table was a beautiful Llama with all the fancy etching on it and it was about 180 dollars and dad said "look here boy,here's a nice one". I reminded him of his Llama from years ago and he had forgotten all about it's dismantling.Now he had Colts and Brownings.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instead of having to do all the tuning crap, just get the KIMBER and be done with it.Thats my .02 anyway!
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I nearly bought a Kimber today. Had the cash in my pocket. I let the salesman take care of some other customers while I looked around.(my 1st time in this particular shop) The shop owner blew it bad. I had already decided to purchase the Kimber & was looking at a .22 Hornet rifle when the owner walked up to me and snatched the rifle from my hands and said the shop was too busy and the gun had to be behind the counter. then he proceeded to rip his 4 employees new a**holes because "they weren't paying enough attention and people are going to start walking out with stuff" Well anyone there would have had to walk by two salespeople standing next to the door. Well I was about to buy that Hornet for $170.00 too. Too bad I probably would have made his payroll for him today. Everything ended well though,two shops later I found a Colt Defender that was at the top end of my price range. That shop owner was an entirely different personality. I'll probably go spend even more money with him.WOODS