In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dale Earnhart Senior

rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What is your opinion of Dale Earnhart Senior?

Thasnks

Rockton

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's dead.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the best drivers ever. Will be missed. A avid hunter and fisherman.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still # 1 [:)]

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
    IMG_8700145.jpg
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,453 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Don't care much for him. Never have. Never will.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    The man who defined NASCAR for close to 30 years, made it what it is today.
  • Options
    gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who?

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Great driver, Shi**y disposition and did not know how to deal with people in the communication dept.

It's All Crapola!!!
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Dale was the guy I loved to hate.

Now I love him.

Funny how that worked...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great man that done his job well. 7 time Winston Cup Champion, need I say more. If there is a race track in heaven he is at it.
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Got one of his last Case knives, can't sell it for love or money. Nobody wants it!! Heck only 2000 made and all I am asking is $150.00

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN!!!! At least try to honor his legacy by spelling the name right in the title of the thread!!! EARNHARDT!!! GHD
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Atta boy Charlie,

Ya tell him. For a guy who takes the pea outta the pod to eat it, I wouldn't be so critical, hahahaha[:D][:D][:D]

Since we came home from Harrisburg, I've been tossed outta several restaurants here when I asked for podless peas like they have in Verginny. [^]

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by groundhog devastation
    At least try to honor his legacy by spelling the name right in the title of the thread!!! EARNHARDT!!!

I think somebody's got a Hardt-on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I think somebody's got a Hardt-on.

Probably a Hardt-on, Jr.

[8D][8D]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He wasn't as good as Richard "The King" Petty!

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Didn't like Sr. at all, but I like Jr.

The only reason he got 7 championships was NASCAR took points away from Mark Martin, which made the difference in it one year.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Options
    bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the greatest nascar drivers he made nascar what it is today taught more young drivers how to race, hate to say it including Gordon. A great outdoorsman loved to bowhunt he left a legacy that is unmatched even if you are not a nascar fan you still know the name Earnhardt how many other drivers has that distinction
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK....you've fired me up on this one.

Dale EarnharDt would have run over his Grandmother to
    win a race. Without a doubt, one of (if not THE) the dirtiest drivers to EVER run.

Arrogant SOB was a contributing factor to his own death.
    Bill Simpson designed the safety harnesses to be mounted in the car a certain way and to be worn a certain way.
    BUT NO...."I'm Dale Earnhardt and I know everything there is to know about racing. I'm gonna' mount and wear these belts so they're comfortable."
    Basal skull fracture killed him: 1)because the belts were neither installed nor worn in the manner that they were designed in order to provid maximum protection, and 2) No HANS device. Lack of the HANS device AND improperly worn belts allowed his head to snap farther forward than normal in that type of crash which resulted in the Basal Skull Fracture.
    How many times have you seen the same crash and the driver walk away? A lot! How many times did Tony Stewart flip at Daytona in '02.
    About five and HE WALKED AWAY. How many times did Michael Waltrip flip at Rockingham last week? Four and HE WALKED AWAY!
    Improper equipment use killed Earnhardt and nothing more. LEGACY MY
    *. I get so sick of all these window stickers that read: "In memory of a legend" and #3 with a little halo around it.
    HE'S DEAD PEOPLE....GET OVER IT!
    On the back window of my truck are the numbers 3, 8, and 24 with the international "NO" symbol over them. I'm sitting at the gas pump and some guy walks past and says: "You've got my three favorite drivers crossed out." My reply" You mean the two butt-heads and the dead guy?"
    He just kept walking.

And Richard Petty....Won all those races! Yeah, when he was racing 2 and 3 times a week against no real competition. He was one of the few drivers that had a sponsor with any $$$. That's how he won. He out spent his competitors. Why can't his cars win now? Because he's too cheap to put in the $$$ necessary to have a competitive car.

Why do Jr. and Jeffy win so much? Cubic $$$$$. Show me two sponsors out there that have more money than DuPont and Budweiser.

Mudge the 18 & 20 fan

ps. By the way, with the elder Dale deceased, the younger Dale is not "technically" Jr. anymore. There's only one now and the "Jr." is only used to differentiate between two living people.
    Their names are/were not "Dale Earnhardt, Sr." And Dale Earnhardt, Jr.". Both their names were/are Dale Earnhardt. The Sr. and Jr. are merely suffixes used to differentiate between them.

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never said the man was perfect.[;)]
    Just that he did for a fact leave an unmatched legacy in the sport.
    Guess thats what makes things so exciting...the varied opinions.
    We all have one. What a boring world if we all agreed.[^]
  • Options
    justmejustme Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree bluegoose..lots of different opinions even in my own house come race time! Keeps it exciting here.[:0]
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the time of his death I had stopped watching NASCAR due to it becoming such a big advertisment. I won't watch it at all now. I consider dale Sr to be the second best NASCAR driver that ever lived. Cale Yarborough was/is the best there ever was in NASCAR.

That said niether Cale nor Dale could hold a candle to the best all around race car driver of them all. The late Richie Evans. There wasn't a race car built that that man couldn't make cross the finish line first, no matter what the genre.

I grew up watching Richie Evans, Jimmie Spencer, Greg Sacks,and Mike McGloughin on the local modified circut.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Dale Sr was his own man, spoke his mind, drove his own race, supported hunting & fishing, I liked him and miss seeing him racing.

Jr seems okay, but I don't know about him yet....

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    KIMBER MANKIMBER MAN Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The greatest driver ever! yes even better than the king. He was (is) nascar. and for john h, if you were to spend some time around the tracks, and ask people what they thought about his disposition, you would find out the truth. he had everyones respect at the tracks. not because of what he did on the track, but what he did off the track!one of the greatest people, and drivers this world will ever know.

"HONOR IS BETTER THAN HONORS"
    "KEEP THE SKEER ON"
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont even watch Nascar anymore,Ive tried to watch a race or two but just cant get in to it.NO.3 Ruled!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No driver has ever contributed so much to NASCAR as Dale Sr. He defined the sport for decades. those who didn't like him were upset because their guy got spun buy the infamous "black 3". Ask ANY driver in the sport what is the ABSOLUTE LAST THING you want to see with 3 laps to go,...and they will undoubtedly answer " a 3 in the mirror" The man knew how to drive the fast tracks better than any driver to grace the blacktop. He also knew how to get you loose without bumping you,...that is intimidation, that is the legal way to race,... and that was Dale!!! I also stand by my personal view of final laps in the race which is this,...if I am faster than you,..and you know it,..I will allow you to block me for only so long,..then you get turned or you get passed!!!

By the way,....most of your favorites who wim consistently OWE their success to the man. 18, 20, 24, 29, 17, etc etc etc were all found and brought up into busch series as well as mentored by Dale Sr.

God Bless Number 3,.....

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mudge, I will now extrapolate on the matter!! DALE EARNHARDT drove race cars!!! The white flag does not mean surrender in racing!!! Richard Petty had more money early on than anyone and had people like "Buddy Arrington" (who he sold used parts to and helped along the way) to do sh.. like stop on the frontstretch at Darlington when the "king" needed new tires thus causing a causion!! Bill Elliott? Give me a break!! When did he ever have to drive to win other than the year he made up two laps under green at Talledega or the Richmond race he won? As far as the youngsters go today....Tony Stewart could have raced with Earnhardt and enjoyed it!!! Jeff Gordon, wouldn't make a wart on Earnhardt's butt!! Bobby Labonte, had a big brother in racing already and he's a damn sight better than Terry....no race car driver though!!! Mark Martin losing the championship because of lost points.....if you're going to cheat, do it so you don't get caught!! If we could have a race of the greats....which we can't, you would have to have a field of DALE EARNHARDT, Richard Petty, Cale Yarbrough, Bobby Allison, Tim Richmond(Earnhardt would have had a tough time winning 7 championships if he'd(Richmond) kept his member clean!!! Jr. Johnson, Curtis Turner, Tim Flock, and the person who I consider to be the second best of all time....David Pearson!! Throw all them pretty boys out there and see what happens!!! Jeff Gordon would park because "It just ain't running right"! (Rick Mast (a personal friend of mine says) that he CAN drive if everythings perfect!!!), Matt Kinseth would be lost in the crowd and looking for a way out! Terry Labonte would have "engine trouble" and have to get off the track, Jimmy Spencer would stick it out till the end till he either got wrecked or wrecked himself! Ryan Newman would enjoy the day of learning from the masters!! I don't give a pee tinkers d... if you didn't like EARNHARDT! I don't give a FRA if you didn't pull for him!! But in my presence you will respect him!!!! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie,..what about Davie Allsion,...now that guy could pull em in too.

And,...restrictor plate races and all the feelgood weenies have made it so that money doesn't matter,..the cars are the exact same and so are the engines (by design of course,..as duplicate engines build different horsepowers) Racing on Dirt and the beginning of blacktop and racing in todays sport are far different. To quote the great Dale SR ,...."build bigger walls and let us run"

JustC,.. the ex-17yr old who had 400+HP under his foot everyday and the local constable knew on a first name basis.

Gotta love the smell of melted rubber and the sound of 8000rpms. I wish I was in High School again

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    For the life of me, I can't understand the devotion to Dale Earnhardt!

He was a complete Ahole, both on and off the track. If he didn't win, he sulked, leaving early. I'll give him the fact he didn't whine much like some of the others.

He died stupidly, blocking others when the race had already been decided. Don't get me wrong about him dying. I'm not glad he died, but it was a very stupid move.

He called Gordon, 'boy wonder.' Probably becuse if it wasn't for Gordon, he would have won his 8th championship. He'd only have 6 if it wasn't for NASCAR taking points away from Mark Martin one year.

Admit it, Earnhardt fans. THE ONLY REASON ALL OF YOU HATE GORDON IS HE KEPT EARNHARDT FROM WINNING HIS 8TH CHAMPIONSHIP!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he had been RACING instead of trying to block cars he would probably be alive today. NASCAR used to be racing. Now its just a joke.

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC, My apologies for leaving Davey out!! He needed to be included with the greats!! I was just so "perturbed" by the other posting that I was rushing to get a "real perspective" posted!! I grew up with this stuff! I have met (prior to February 18th, 2001) a lot of the "legends"!! Now I don't really have an interest in watching it! Between the losses of the drivers and NASCAR dinking with rules, it ain't racing no more!! And another one I left out that would have to be included(and just might would smoke some butts)....FIREBALL ROBERTS!!! Some of the people reading this probably have no idea who he was!!!! For a little history lesson he was burned badly coming out of turn 2 at Charlotte on May 29th 1964 in a wreck involving Jr. Johnson, himself and Ned Jarrett! He died about 3 weeks later! He drove a #22 Pontiac! AND HE WAS A RACE CAR DRIVER!! As far as the "going back in time" to high school, I had a 1963 Impala SS with a 327-365 Corvette engine, with LT-1 Heads and aluminum pistons that turned 401HP on Smokey Yunick's dynomometer(Hey Mudge, have you ever heard of Smokey Yunick???? ) and I wouldn't run you for a 1/4 mile!! Anybody can drive a straight line!! You wanta race? We'll run from Rocky Mount to Ferrum on VA 40!! God help you if you had one of them 383/330 RoadRunners and wanted to even keep sight of them 3 Impala taillights after passing Maury Furrows store!!! Can't do that no more!!! Too many people, stoplights, and cops with good radios!!!! I wouldn't even try it again tonite if I knew I had a clear road!! But that's experience talking now!! Back then we were all full of P... and vinegar!!! GHD
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i liked watching him and his son compete against each other.but he only got real popular until he died.but i'm a tony stewart fan

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're driving a race car with fenders, you're not really driving a race car. GO-carts require more skill Earnhardt had.

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If you're driving a race car with fenders, you're not really driving a race car. GO-carts require more skill Earnhardt had.

?

[?]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Clouder, please elaborate.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pawnman:

An open-wheel race car cannot rely on another one as a bumper pad. nor can they bang the wall, knock out some some sheet metal, and go on with the race. You see both all the time in NASCAR, some drivers worse than others. It devolves to reflexes. I say that because it's obvious to me that it's better NOT to hit something with either type of racer. So why do the NASCAR boys do it? The closest the NASCAR boys come to real racing is at The Glen and Sonoma.

By the way, I thought Earnhardt was unethical as a driver, he cheated. Fortunately, it looks like his son took a pas on that gene.

Clouder..
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not on my worst/best day nor in whomever's company will I respect Earnhardt.

Mudge the defiant

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Open wheel cars operate under different regulations,..nowhere near as restricted as NASCAR. they can build their front wings however they please,..and adjust their suspensions any way they please,..not to mention there are no restrictor plate races where the entire field runs in traffic while running wide open. The field is quite often seperated by who has the best downforce or who has the most HP for the day,....which is the way NASCAR used to be. Now the angles on the spoilers are measured,..the suspension height is measured,..the restrictor plate opening is "mic'd" for proper adhearance to the rules,..the body shape is measured,..etc etc. All these rules make it so the field is running together,..and in this situation,..the better and quite often more agressive driver wins,...those who wine about bumping and swapping paint,..need to go find another job. Them euro boys don't swap paint,..cause it is an immediate wreck,...I call that Scared[}:)]Show me one who has enough guts to stick his wing under another's rear tire and spin him in the apex of the turn,..and I'll take my hat off to him. And to me racing means running fast for long periods or running wide open for 1/4 mile,..speeding up and slowing down to make a turn seems like somethign I can do on my own while driving around outside of town.

apples and oranges,......they can't be compared.

AND,...Jeff Gordan was called "boy wonder" by Earhardt in an affectionate way,..considering he WAS TRAINED by Earnhardt. So was Tony Stewart. Now,...ifin ya can't admit ole number 20 has an attitude problem,..then that pretty much deteriorates any credibility to the argument about Earnhardt having one.

GHD,...I was set up for the straight runs,.....1320ft in 12.05sec[:0][8D] My 4.11:1 gears wouldn't let me run them roads like you did,....but now ifin I were to back the rear off to 3.73:1 or even back to 3.55:1, and take the 3500RPM stall converter out of the tranny,..I bet we could have had a blast running from one end of the county to the other.[8D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder
    If you're driving a race car with fenders, you're not really driving a race car. GO-carts require more skill Earnhardt had.

Clouder..

That's why my love is modifieds and super modifieds. If you guys ever wonder why Jimmy Spencer got the name Mr excitement you need to find some old video from his modified days. He did all that bumpin around with open wheels. No I'm not a spencer fan, I was an Evans fan. But, Jimmy sure did make racing exciting!

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif