In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

how many of you are getting ready for the summer?

alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
here in beautiful southwest alaska, we've had a fairly mild winter. did a lot of snowmachine riding, ice fishing, etc., but i am looking forward to the long summer days! anyone else making plans for the summer?

www.alaskancampfire.com

Comments

• Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Hold on 1 second. Don't forget spring[8D][;)]
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Last year it was in the 70s this time of year. It'll be rainy and mild, cold sometimes, until May. Then the rains will STOP. For about six months.

Swimming in the Merced in June in four one minute plunges into the rapids, pulling yourself out down stream. Even an hour later the fat stores along your body are still cold-cold-cold! to the touch.

The river will be sweet by September, though.

All that river water is snow melt, coming out of the Yosemite area. Still, just a one hour hike up a steep grade and you are in shorts, no shirt. I was even doing this in December.
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i dont seattle has ever heard of summer LOL

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i dont seattle has ever heard of summer LOL

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was BORN ready for summer!!
    [^][^]barto

Win some, lose some.
    Winning's better.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found myself getting all my steelhead fishing gear ready this weekend the runs will be starting in about a month or so.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Well with the storm we have gotten I'm off of work today due to wind and snowdrifts. U.S. mil is shutting down here for the day....guess I'll be tearing apart my 30-06 for it's re-bluing and setting up my reloading bench.

I'll be ready for summer.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    $0 out right now and im celebrating by wearing shorts to class

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • Options
    tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've already got my tomatoes planted. In a week or so I'll be putting in green beans, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, etc.
    Winter, which is probably comparable to a northern spring, is over here in S.E. TEXAS.

Here's a pic of my tomatoes last year.

Tideman [gardenin' in TEXAS]

DSCN0088.jpg

"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • Options
    Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the long daylight hours of summer and traveling, I prefer being near coastal areas where it is cooler and having BBQ's, I BBQ all the time during the summer
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Already got the $$$ stashed, the B&B reservations confirmed, the flights planned (I can't make reservations) and the tickets to the air show. Us retired people have a LOT of time to do stuff.[:D]

Mudge the idle

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    started the spring cleaning already....soon be hitting the garage to get the scuba gear ready....wife looking at paint sample colors..thats scary!!!

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Getting ready to till the garden, still need to go through all my fishing equipment, and still need to put away all my tree stands, BUT I am ready even though I still miss fall...

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Six hours north of Tideman, my tomatoes go in the ground after the 16th, but the garden is ready!

Canoes are ready for the river,
    but for now the bass at the lakes are shallow,
    starting to do their thing!
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in wetsern NY a wise person doesn't make summer plans until a week after easter. To do otherwise is to curse yourself with another winter blast.

As for the Garden. I'll be starting my melon, eggplant and tomato plants within the next two weeks. Still waiting for my pepper and onion seed to arrive. Gonna try those giant yellow bell peppers this year.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What kind of "Giant" yellow peppers are you talkin' about, Woods?
    I've never heard of any "Giant" bells.

Outdoors.....what kind of tomatoes do best in your parts?

Tideman

"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • Options
    SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tideman those plants are huge.... I need to make me a small garden this year... I love those fried green tomatoes.. Green ones are hard to come by...

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Already tilling the garden here. Strawberries are looking good. Ready to plant potatos.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Tide,
    On the Golden peppers woods is mentioning, I grow the Golden Bells and California Wonders here in FW, most types will turn yellow or red if you leave them on the vine to mature.

On the tomatoes, I grow two each Early Girls, Better Boys, and Bonus VFN's, plus four cages of Sweet 100's, the small cherries for salads and munchin'. Five foot high cages and the grow over and down another three feet. Texas sunshine, fertilizer, and steady water!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I pretty much grow Big Beef, Better Boy, Celebrity and Sweet 100 tomatoes.
    Last year I grew California Wonder bells. They did excellent. I know they'll turn red if left on the vine. But, I ain't ever heard of a so called "Giant" bell pepper.
    Swwbo...you may not believe me when I tell ya' this.....but.....I swear........I add........RHINO MANURE to my garden. Yep.......that's right......RHINO POO-POO!!!!
    There's an exotic animal farm not too far from where I live and they can't seem to get rid of the stuff. So, being the nice kind of guy that I am, I decided to help 'em out. They feed those critters pelletized feed. There's no seeds or anything to sprout in my garden from it. It's an outstanding fertilizer!!!! [However...each tomato has a little bitty horn on it.]

Tideman [Truthful in TEXAS]
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Saw my first robin today!....boy am I glad I didn't hit it....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sooooooo ready for summer, I had a motorcycle accident back in Nov. and I was off from work for 3 mos. Just returned to work the 1st of Feb. Meanwhile, my 2003 harley davidson wideglide is in the shop getting repaired. Hopefully, it will be ready to go by spring.

"ANY DAY IS A GOOD DAY FOR A RIDE"

vj
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is March 1st, not April fools.
    Stop joking.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    ArielleArielle Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep! I'm a spring baby, but I am already making plans to go see family adn those I love for the summer. And I've got some darn cute swim-wear already.

Arielle

"I am the opposite of a stage magician... he gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth, I give you truth that has the appearance of illusion" Tennesee Williams
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Shucks, I'm ready for some ground hog shooting first, saw one today, means it's almost spring.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1