In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Golf Sucks

218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
You heard me,golf sucks.What good ever came from this foolish game?Acres and acres of Florida woods cut down, to to grow grass.This grass requires tons of fertilizer and pesticides,which run off into ponds,which are tied into canals and rivers,leading to estuaries,where small fish grow up.It kills and/or contaminates everything these tiny fish eat,so instead of growing up to be big fish in the Gulf of Mexico,they die instead.Then there are these *,who call themselves sportsmen,who read magazines about saltwater fishing off the Florida coast.From what I`ve gathered,these same sportsmen,golf when they are not fishing,not many of them are into hunting or shooting.Some of the cloathes they wear while fishing,would look at home on the golf course.Anyway,these sportsmen(well to do bussinesmen,who fish and golf) with the backing of these publications,or visa/versa,with thereinfluence/propaganda,pass laws to put small time native comercial fishermen out of work,blaming him for the damage that they themselves cause. ~.218~
Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just trying to start some controversy.....Anybody out there hate golf besides me? Seems like a hell of a waste of good land that could be put to better use, like hunting or shooting......not to mention it takes up valuable TV time that could be devoted to auto-racing or football or something else that is ENJOYABLE to watch! It might be fun to take a 12ga out to the local course see if I could hit those damned golf balls though.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I play occasionally, but it's really just an excuse to drink beer.
    She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with you Lowrider. Dad used to tell me that is was a bad sign - to start looking for excuses to drink though!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hit a ball then go chase after it? When I could be fishin' or shootin'? Nooooo waaaaay!
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I play golf as often as I can. I agree that it is not very physically demanding, and may not meet my own personal criteria for a sport, but it is a very hard game.I agree with you also Bee that the courses are often placed in bad spots, and I'm sure that is true in Florida as well as other places. I do think that golf courses should have to meet the same standards for run off as strip mines. BTW, in my neck of the woods some of the best and most challenging golf courses are put on old strip mines, what a beautiful way to use land that isn't good for much else. I don't know how things are in Fla. but in PA we sit around the clubhouse with our adult beverages after a round and talk about the upcoming hunting season. The club I play at most of the time has enough combined member firepower to ward off a third world nation.
  • Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    youre not doing it right. one guy hits the ball and four of his buddies wait at the other end of the fairway with shotguns. i think #8 shot works best. two points if shot on the fly, one point for rollers. deduct one point for nailing other shooter. you might also try speed golf. you must put the ball into every cup, but rather than counting strokes you play against the clock. quickest game wins. good athletes run, old guys like me drive cart like madman. must dismount to swing, no polo shots. also strip golf. loser on each hole must remove one item of clothing. this one gets interesting on the back nine. try shot golf, where every stroke over par requires taking a shot of whiskey. of course that version usually ends at about the 12th hole. for real excitement, combine all of the above into one.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hacker roflmao. Good one!
  • Options
    M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too am a fan of chess, starting to get back into it after many years of non-play.I myself have never played maximum golf, only minature ... so, I cannot really comment on the game.
    Support your RKBA ... MatthewNRA Life MemberTalk Radio Junkie opaliski@hotmail.com TheFirearmsEnthusiast
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't stand golf myself, but I like golf courses. When I was in college I engaged in falconry, and quickly learned that golf courses were a great place to take a hawk to hunt rabbits. Provided, of course that there weren't too many pesky golfers there right then.
  • Options
    Homer J SimpsonHomer J Simpson Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Andrew Adams, I play golf. Lots of golf. Then I shoot. Lots of shooting. Somedays I reverse the order.(Our shooting club is an amenity of our country club, so it's conveniant, and you don't have to dress like Elmer Fudd.) Golf and the shotgun sports have alot in common: Tempo, swing, strategy, the score and recordkeeping, handicapping, gambling, plus it's all mental (ie, frustrating to the point of tears, but you keep coming back.)My pet peeve is walking 18 holes vs. riding a cart. Cartball is not golf. It throws the pace of the game off. My golf pals and I prefer to walk early in the morning, on an empty course, with dew underfoot, and the sun starting to rise. Its very peaceful, until someone hits a bad shot, and then the screaming and cussing starts. 18 holes later, we are tense, disappointed and angry. Then we go shoot! And all is right with the world again.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I like shooting. Shooting guns, shooting par,shooting the bull, or shooting --, well we better not go there. Just shooting! It's all fun!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE![This message has been edited by dheffley (edited 10-08-2001).]
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ~218~ You said it all GOLF SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to see some fellow chess players!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Andrew Adams:I saw your message over there,on peeves!(he,he,ha,ha.)But really,the only golfer that I am familliar with ,is the golfer in Florda,who is typically a notherner.Now don`t get me wrong...all I`m saying is we don`t get many of the fine northern country folk,the farmers,the hunters.These folks have a good way of livin`,and have no reason to leave it for a condo in flarda.It is the more urban variety that we get,and they don`t represent the north well.They move into condos on the golf course,packed in like sardines,as they were up there.Then they make up assocciation rules ,such as,no backing into parking spaces.I know of one case where the neighbors complained about the daughter of a resident,bringing laundry to wash,once or twice,while her washer was not working.But then I got off of people ,instead of golf.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Most of the folks I know who golf are looking for social prominence more than enjoying the game! To heck with that, If you don't like me the way I am you're not gonna like me on a golf course!!
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a whole lot of stereotyping going on here. Don't you think that's why most of us are on this BB? Most of us gun owners are stereotyped all the time by people who just don't know anything about it. It sounds to me like those of you who are putting down the golfers just don't know enough about it to respect it.I took last Friday off from work. What did I do? I made an early tee time with a couple friends who don't shoot or hunt. We played a quick 18 and went to lunch afterwards. No alcohol was involved at all. I save the drinking for when I'm at home in a safe environment. After lunch, I went home and grabbed a couple of my new hunting rifles and went to the range. After that, I helped a friend move into his new house so we could go hunting in the morning.I don't really know where I'm going with this, but golfing, hunting and shooting are my favorite hobbies. It doesn't make me a bad person. Golf sucks to some people, but lots of things suck to lots of people.I can keep going...stir...stir...stir...
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have golfed a few times, really enjoyed it...but stayed away for fear of getting addicted to another expensive hobby. What most people spend on clubs would buy a nice gun, and golf fees are similar to shooting fees. Both are addicting hobbies....at least shooting you can bring home some meat for the freezer....can't get a deer with a golf club.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Daroosta, I wasn't stereotyping anyone. I was speaking from first hand experience. I live one hour from Charlotte N.C. where the corp.office for my company is and there are more than a few of the guys that I work with drive to charlotte almost every weekend to play golf and rub elbows with the higher ups of my company. They even brag about it saying that it's going to pay off one day when better jobs come open on the management level. I think they are idiots! Now that's a stereotype for ya. As for the game of golf, I've tried it and don't like it. I don't like iceskating either.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure it is a challenging game, but any day that the weather is good enough to play golf, it's better than good enough to go hunting or fishing. When I'm too decrepit to be out in the woods, I'll think about playing on the lawn. 'Nuff said.
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you Shane about ice skating, but only because I've never found a frozen pond that would hold up my * As for golf I can best describe it as the only game/sport I love to hate. It's not like shooting where I'm pretty consistant, but more of a great time one day and then a curse-filled lost ball sand-in-the shoes, divot flying, club bending, tee throwing excersize in futility. Then I'm ready to leave the practice green
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt,Who says you can't put meat in the freezer with a golf club?
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    golf is the most expensive sport that dosen't go BANG. I've spent as much on my clubs as I did on my citori.golf is a training tool for patience and tolerence. it also teaches you to coordinate your body and eye with your mind. everything that I use in precision rifle shooting I use in golf, ie. breathing and control...etc....as in any sport those that don't golf (or shoot or play chess) tend to demean it or make fun or complain about those that do.my wife says that those that don't golf ...CAN'T!!!!!
  • Options
    Homer J SimpsonHomer J Simpson Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like the golf guys are winning.Run for your lives!I have a Titelist Pro-V1 coming out to grab you!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like the golf guys are loosin` there * ,by my count!!!Maybe if they didn`t move south ,and take over a whole state,I would feel differently.....No ,it would still suck!!!Look here biganimal,there are a lot of things I can`t,or don`t do,but golf is the only one I can think of that sucks.But my complaint was mainly about the invironmental damage,in my state,or what used to be my state.You will never understand untill your state is taken over.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shane, I'm going to have to agree with you that people sometimes use golf as a way to rub elbows with the boss. Then again, it's not hurting anything (by the way, I'm not one of those guys). Usually bosses can see right through that stuff, though, and sometimes it actually helps the other guys. I don't have much of a tolerance for suck-ups either. I agree that they're idiots, but I'll also tell you that if my boss asks me to go play golf on the weekend, I'm usually up for it. It's not sucking up for me, it's just relaxing with a friend. Maybe that's where I'm lucky that my boss and I get along great and we're good friends. We leave business alone when we're on the course and have a good time laughing at each other's swings.I'm not up on ice skating either, but I've been known to watch a little women's tennis when Anna Kournikova is blessing the screen. Vrooooom.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    In the early days men beat the ground with sticks and it was called evil, today we call it golf. (I still think it is evil)Stupid little white ball that won't go straight.
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DaRoosta,now you`re tawkin`!!!!!
  • Options
    mag44mag44 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pasture pool - that's what it really is..The only white ball I hit is on the pool table. Don't have to chase it very far.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sometimes out of boredom the wife & i go to whiskey run beach (oregon coast) & recover golf balls that have been launched from the course. last sat. we picked up 21. no, i dont golf, just an excuse to 4-wheel & take pictures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    barto - where's Whiskey Run? I've lived in Oregon all my life and play golf a couple times a month. I've never heard of it. BTW, if you're out on the coast much and are a golfer, I have a gift certificate to Sandpines that's going to expire at the end of the month. It's for 2 - 18 hole rounds of golf. If you can use it, I'll send it to you. That goes for anyone else, too. It's only good Sunday through Thursday from noon on. Let me know.
    JWhite2399@cs.com
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    da-r whiskey run is an old gold-mining beacc half-way between coos bay and bandon.home to the two best golf courses on the west coast (so im told).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    barto - That's where I figured it was. I was out in Bandon last week. Didn't play golf, though. That Bandon Dunes course is unbelievable and I would definitely rank it one of the best Oregon courses, but as for the second best course being out there, I can honestly say that is a farce. Well, that's just my opinion, but I think I share it with most other golfers from this neck of the woods. That Sandpines course I was talking about used to be the best course on the coast...it's up in Florence. Just so windy out there, it's tough to play a reasonable game and be satisfied. I guess that's what it's all about.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    mag44 syas it for me. Golf is like playing pool while standing on the table and chasing the cue ball to the next bar.If the game could be a bit more fun and exciting then I might get into it. Maybe a few 38-24-36 blondes as caddies would pipe up the game quite a bit especially dressed in bikinis. Let's not forget a wet bar at every hole.I would change the scoring system also. in order to validate the end game points, the golfer would have to shoot down ten consecutive skeet,land a large bass from the water trap, field dress a deer and make an obscene phone call to HCI.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF YOU COULD PUT PHOSPHOROUS ON THE BALL, AND DO IT AT NIGHT, THAT WOULD BE MORE FUN. WATCHING THE BALL ON FIRE, DISAPPEAR AND TRY TO GO FIND IT AT NIGHT WITH NIGHTVISION. NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Or shoot it with your tactical rifle,once it lands..218
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golf courses are a waste of perfectly good acreage that would serve better as rifle ranges.
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sit in the bushes all cammoed out and just as they swing the club, zap it with a 22-250. heheheNever played golf but long distance shooting sounds better to me, heck, it is better.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are quite right GOLF SUCKSWhen I'm ready to kiss up to the boss, I'll find one that shoots, hunts or fishesBANG
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golf balls are fun to shoot, they explode with rubber band guts everywhere...Golf is for old people who cant shoot...
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could go for that, wait til the old coots, are about ready, to swing, and pick the balls off with the old 22-250. And a few gophers to boot!
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GOLF.....the only game where the guy who plays the least wins!