In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dan Wesson Pointman

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I was paging through Shotgun News the other day and saw an ad for the Dan Wesson Pointman 1911 in .45 ACP for $469. This seems like a fairly low price. I have a bad taste in my mouth for "budget" 1911's and was wondering if this gun was worth a darn. I'll never buy another Colt 1991. That was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. Are there any opinions on Dan Wesson 1911's or the Pointman in particular? Am I better off saving an extra couple hundred dollars and buying a Kimber?

Comments

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last reply appears to have not posted ... will try again.

Seen too many problems with Dan Wesson 1911's, some going back 3 times and still having problems.

Springfield MilSpec generally are on sale for under $500

Charles Daly models are mostly under $500 too.

Nothing wrong w/ a Kimber except it is an expensive starting point.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the info. They look like attractive guns but it's hard to tell if their beauty is merely skin-deep unless you've shot one or know someone who has. Thank you. I think I'll just forget about it for awhile. It was a passing thought.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I own and shoot a Dan Wesson Pointman 7. Excellent gun! Clark slide, target barrel, CM mags, CM trigger parts, lowered port, beaver safety. Shooting Bullseye right out of the box it seems better then the Kimbers and Colt's.

From "hold on bag" (not randsom)it shoots with my Clark at 25 yds (have not yet tried 50 yds). Not junk at all. Not even in the same breath as a SAM, Daly, or other Phil 1911's.

Maybe I just got a good one.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought I'd missed some DW upgrades in the past few months so I went on their site to check out these high end Pointmen. Couldn't find them.

There were Pointmen and ranging up the scale Patriots. None of which were offered with Clark slides. There were CM mags., and CM triggers or equivalents, Novak sights or equivalent, Bomar sights, un-named match barrels, etc. But the starting pistol was $600 and well short of all of the "goodies" described.

Custom shop or aftermarket you can basically get anything if you've enough money, but then in reference to the question raised in this post we don't have anywhere near apples-to-apples.

I've fired a number of DW 1911 models and when they work they are as good or/better than anyone elses, but I've personally seen way to many fail and in some cases repeatedly fail.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Contender Man.

Not trying to upset anyone, as I said, maybe I got a good one. I got all the "goodies" for $569 out the door (list was over $700). Some of the guys I shot with saw the gun and 2 have purchased a Pointman Major and a Patroit. Both have been wowed by the accuracy and have had no trouble (both own Kimber Target models and Colt Gold Cups). Seems like a lot of gun for the money to me (but I don't claim to be any kind of 1911 expert). Also, the box was marked that it had a Clark Slide, and I called DW to confirm this.

Mine had gone through some type of factory smith work, as you could see the slide had been worked and the trigger components showed some type of sanding or filing and was set at about 3.5# pull. Look on the web site and you'll find a Pointman "7" Target along with the Major and Minor.

So maybe the Gunsmiths are seeing problems (I've got less then 3,000 rounds through the gun), but so far it seemed like a good deal to me.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I have a DW Guardian Duce (Commander size) that has been everything that it should be. The "un-named" barrel was a Jarvis Match, Caspian extractor, CM internals, and Millet Adj sights. Further it is a 70 series style (w/o collet bushing) that does NOT have the un-needed, un-wanted firing pin block of the 80 Series Colts or the II series Kimbers. The fit, finish and overall quality is exceptional.

Admittedly, this is an early production gun but it has exceeded my expectations out of the box. IF the quality has gone down it would be a shame but I have nothing but praise for mine.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    HAD A pANTHER WITH A pOINTMAN UPPER, WISH i STILL HAD THE PUPPY, FINE AUTO.

jc

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.