In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bad news for Smith & Wesson

JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Check this out - the president of S&W spent almost 10 years in prison!

http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm18621_20040226.htm

Comments

• 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Personally I have no problem with this guy doing his thing. He served his time and supposedly paid his debt to society and was released from prison. Looks like the guy did a real good job of straightening his life out. However, the government might see things differently and I suppose this guy being a fellon and running a company like S+W could be problem to them. Can a convicted fellon work in the firearms industry even though they are prohibited by law to handle, own or posess a firearm? I don't know the legalities but I bet the ATF and Justice dept are eyeballing this one pretty hard.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Seems as if he'd paid his debt to society. Too bad society doesn't count that.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would one of you mind copying and pasting that story here? The filter on my computer won't allow me to view it for some reason.

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very Very Interesting.
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here ya go... C&P

Smith & Wesson's new chairman resigns after reports he committed armed robberies

Thursday, February 26, 2004

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The new chairman of the board of Smith & Wesson's parent company resigned following reports that he committed a string of armed robberies in the 1950s and 1960s.

Minder, who had been an outside director of Smith & Wesson Holding Corp., said he submitted his resignation voluntarily at a directors meeting this week.

``I felt it was the best thing for the company, given the circumstances,'' James Joseph Minder, 74, told The Republican newspaper in Springfield for Thursday's editions.

Company officials did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment. The newspaper said the gun maker was expected to name a replacement on Friday.

The resignation by Minder, who lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., came three weeks after The Arizona Republic reported that he had spent more than 10 years in Michigan prisons in the 1950s and 1960s for a string of armed robberies and an attempted prison escape.

Minder said he didn't disclose his criminal past to the other directors of the 150-year-old gun company prior to his election as chairman in mid-January.

``Nobody asked,'' he said, adding he had turned his life around in the 30 years since his release from prison.

Minder was named to Smith & Wesson's board after serving on the board of Saf-T-Hammer, the Scottsdale company that acquired Smith & Wesson in 2001.

Following his release from prison, Minder founded Spectrum Human Services, a nonprofit agency serving delinquent and disabled Michigan youths, and ran it for 20 years before retiring to Arizona in 1997.

In Scottsdale, he was president and chief operating officer of Amherst Consulting Co., a management consulting firm.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's no worse than that whitehouse twosome we put up with before George W. Seems like he got things together with his own internal fortitude unlike Bonnie and Clyde Clinton who continue to suck that government teet.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Not only did he do his time, but he took the trouble to help turn some kids around that may have ended up in prison as well. The newspapers probably couldn't resist the headline"Convicted Felon at S&W".

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And he is certainly no worse than George dub-ya whose contempt for the American people resulted in thousands of maimed and crippled Americans who didn't take the path of least resistance! Strong words? You bet! Personally, you got a guy who turns his life around to head a major corporation versus the alcoholic son of a rich man who was born on third base & thinks he hit a home run? I'd have Minder over Bush any day!
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    And he is certainly no worse than George dub-ya whose contempt for the American people resulted in thousands of maimed and crippled Americans who didn't take the path of least resistance! Strong words? You bet! Personally, you got a guy who turns his life around to head a major corporation versus the alcoholic son of a rich man who was born on third base & thinks he hit a home run? I'd have Minder over Bush any day!
    Oh fine another Bush lover.[:p]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.