In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barry is suing NC

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
It looks like Barry and his but boy holder are going to sue NC over the voting rules that were just enacted.

What do you think will happen will NC win or loose? Also I don't see where it violates anyone's civil rights to be required to show ID. I think the early voting should be done away with entirely. There is no need for it.

Story:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administration-sue-u-state-voting-rules-source-040354489.html

C&P

The Obama administration plans to sue North Carolina on Monday to block newly enacted voting rules that it believes violates federal civil rights law, a person briefed on the Justice Department's plan said on Sunday.

The challenge would be the second of its kind in three months aimed at voting changes in a Republican-led state. In July, the Justice Department said it would sue Texas. The department's civil rights enforcers are acting after the U.S. Supreme Court in June invalidated part of the 1965 Voting Rights Act they previously relied on.

More about the 4 provisions:

The suit would ask a federal court to block four provisions of the state law, the source said: the elimination of seven days of early voting prior to Election Day; the elimination of same-day voter registration during early voting; the prohibition on counting certain provisional ballots, which a voter fills out when there are questions about his or her registration; and the adoption of an ID requirement that is more strict than the Justice Department allows.
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early voting should be kept for active duty military only.
    Same day registration/voting totally removed and ID requirement doesnt mean much at this point with several states issuing ID to illegals any way.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of my Doctors have taken my Picture and it's on my record trying to stop the fraud. If the fraud is that bad for Insurance one can only wonder why Obama and Holder are supporting voter fraud.

[:(][xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k.stanonik
    Early voting should be kept for active duty military only.
    Same day registration/voting totally removed and ID requirement doesnt mean much at this point with several states issuing ID to illegals any way.

When I was in the Army I sent in an absentee ballot for every election until I moved to NC and bought a house. Early voting does not effect the military guys all that much. Each Company had a voting assistance Officer/NCO that would ensure all the joe's got their states absentee ballots or if you were deployed everyone sent in their ballot.

Heck I voted when I was deployed several times.

Same day registration I really have no problem with but I believe you should show ID to vote, If for no other reason it PO's the NAACP and the Libtards[:D] They get that spun up about something I figure its got to be good.
    RLTW

• Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    I have no problem with requiring ID to vote. I have a serious complaint with ignoring the fact that lots of people do not have the ID. If North Carolina wants to combat voter fraud (which I do not believe to be a big problem) then alright but do not ignore the new problems their changes create.

Taking any other course tells me that all North Carolina really wanted to do here is limit voting, and that they did it because the Party in power thought it would help them push their Party Agenda.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    I have no problem with requiring ID to vote. I have a serious complaint with ignoring the fact that lots of people do not have the ID. If North Carolina wants to combat voter fraud (which I do not believe to be a big problem) then alright but do not ignore the new problems their changes create.

Taking any other course tells me that all North Carolina really wanted to do here is limit voting, and that they did it because the Party in power thought it would help them push their Party Agenda.
    That's the standard head in the sand BS liberal stance. If you are not able to get an ID than you are too lazy or stupid to vote!
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

That's the standard head in the sand BS liberal stance. If you are not able to get an ID than you are too lazy or stupid to vote!

+1. Even if you can't or don't want to drive, you can still go to the DMV and get a state-issued photo ID.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My apologies Cartod, you were correct, I was wrong.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

I agree. You have to get an ID to borrow money, drive, go to school, sign up for Social Security, Medicare, get a job etc.
    Voting is one of the sacred rights.

Someone who is too lazy, or ignorant to not have a clue how to obtain an ID card should not be able to vote anyway....but then again I just described an Obama voter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lots of people have difficulty getting or maintaining current identification. The elderly, home-bound, disabled, the very poor. If identification is to be required for voting, well fine I agree with that. Makes sense to me. Now with that being agreed to, how do we fix the other half of it? How do we get those people who have difficulty getting ID or getting to polling places get their votes counted?

That's all. Do the right thing on both ends of the issue. ID is a good idea, more legal and active voters is a good idea.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Below are the rules for the voter ID. I agree with cartod if you don't have an ID you probably should not vote anyway.

As I said before my sounding board for issues like this is who is upset about it. The NAACP and the Carboro liberals are going ballistic over this so I approve.

Here are the rules C&P

Beginning in 2016, VIVA requires, with limited exceptions, that a voter show a photo ID when they voters present in person to vote -- either on the day of a primary or election or during early voting (one-stop absentee voting). Acceptable forms of photo ID include:

? Unexpired North Carolina drivers license, including a learners' permit or provisional license

? Unexpired North Carolina nonoperators identification card (DMV ID Card)

? Unexpired United States passport

? United States military identification card

? Veterans Identification Card

? Tribal enrollment card issued by a federally recognized tribe

? Tribal enrollment card issued by tribe recognized by North Carolina

? Out-of-state drivers license or nonoperators identification card (valid only if the person's voter registration date in the county is within 90 days of the date of the election)

There are no photo ID requirements for persons who request and submit a by-mail absentee ballot; however, by-mail absentee voters will need to provide identification information on their absentee ballot request form beginning in 2014. The State Absentee Ballot Request Form will be available online and at county board of elections' offices on January 1, 2014. The request form will require voters to provide one of the following: (1) their drivers license number, (2) the last four digits of their Social Security number; or (3) a copy of a HAVA ID.

For in-person voters, there are a few exceptions to the photo ID requirement:

? Age 70 and Older - Voters who are at least 70 years of age may show and expired photo ID as long as the ID did not expire before the voter's 70th birthday. (For example, if an 80-year-old voter presents with a drivers license that expired when the voter was 75, then the expired drivers license is acceptable for purposes of voting; however, if the 80 year-old voter's driver license expired when the voter was 65, then the expired license would not be acceptable for purposes of voting.)

? Religious Objection - If a voter has a sincerely held objection to being photographed, then the voter will not be required to show photo ID, but the voter will be required to show one of the acceptable forms of HAVA ID. In order to qualify for this exception, the voter will need to sign a declaration attesting to this religious objection before an election official prior to the date of the election. The religious objection declaration will be available at county boards of elections offices starting in 2014.

? Natural Disaster - A voter will not be required to show photo ID if the voter declares that he is a victim of a natural disaster occurring within 60 days of the election date. The voter must reside in a county that has officially been declared a natural disaster - either by the Governor of North Carolina or the President of the United States.

? Curbside Voters - Persons who travel to a voting place (either precinct or one-stop site), but because of age or physical disability are unable to enter the voting enclosure without physical assistance, will be allowed to vote from their vehicle. They may show either a photo ID or a HAVA ID.

Site
    http://www.ncsbe.gov/content.aspx?id=143
    RLTW

• Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A number of years ago Indiana had a voter rights law that included voter ID. The case went to the supreme court and it was upheld there. What is the problem. Your drivers license is your voter ID.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if we have tough voter ID how will we ever elect an illegal president
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    Just shows the hypocrites are hard at work as usual. They will go to the ends of the earth to protect voter rights, but when it comes to suing the States for 2nd Amendment violations, they get amnesia. [}:)][:(!][xx(][V][:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    if we have tough voter ID how will we ever elect an illegal president

Has never happened. Democrats were as wrong about the Bush election (remember Florida's hanging chads and the Supreme Court butting in?) as the Republicans are about the Obama election.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Please cite three cases where a US Citizen is unable to get a valid ID.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course he is, anything to keep up a mythical argument that discrimination exists in voting rights. I have a co-worker that works on the local ATF task force and he said that they were directed by DOJ to scale back firearms prosecutions because they disproportionately imprison minority offenders. So on we march to this racist government that regards Caucasians as the criminal elite.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

I bet they have an ID to cash their gubment check. Of course I imagine according to Eric Holder it is racist to ask a minority for ID when cashing an entitlement check.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Taking any other course tells me that all North Carolina really wanted to do here is limit voting, and that they did it because the Party in power thought it would help them push their Party Agenda.

Thats ridiculous. NC has an all republican state government. NC is a Red state(at least right now it is). We have one Democrat Senator and one RINO Senator(Dick Burr). The Governor vetoed this but the house passed it anyway.

Voter ID is why a lot of the people in state government are in office now. The majority of people in this state want it. The people voted for it by electing officials who ran on this. This is a result of the all the illegal voting that was done in 2008 here in NC.

Now Holder is saying the law is directly suppressing the black vote. The only suppression that has occurred is the lazy welfare ticks could not get off their lazy buts to vote in the mid-terms and when they did vote they only voted for Barack.

quote:Please cite three cases where a US Citizen is unable to get a valid ID.

Don't hold your breath Mr P, Chris could not find them with the help of Justice department.

[xx(][xx(][xx(]
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    quote:Taking any other course tells me that all North Carolina really wanted to do here is limit voting, and that they did it because the Party in power thought it would help them push their Party Agenda.

Thats ridiculous. NC has an all republican state government. NC is a Red state(at least right now it is). We have one Democrat Senator and one RINO Senator(Dick Burr). The Governor vetoed this but the house passed it anyway.

Voter ID is why a lot of the people in state government are in office now. The majority of people in this state want it. The people voted for it by electing officials who ran on this. This is a result of the all the illegal voting that was done in 2008 here in NC.

Now Holder is saying the law is directly suppressing the black vote. The only suppression that has occurred is the lazy welfare ticks could not get off their lazy buts to vote in the mid-terms and when they did vote they only voted for Barack.

quote:Please cite three cases where a US Citizen is unable to get a valid ID.

Don't hold your breath Mr P, Chris could not find them with the help of Justice department.
    [xx(][xx(][xx(]

I always find it kind of funny when folks say such things. Rather silly when I'm agreeing with you.

Like I said before and more than once I think we need these voter ID laws. Some studies suggest it, and some say no we don't. If there is a question either way, makes sense to me to fix both sides of the question, take precautions on both sides of it. Doesn't matter to me if the problems are large or small for either side, logically every American has a Right to Vote and laws or life's circumstances should be considered in the defense of that Right.

By that I mean both defending the Vote from fraud, be it real or imagined as well as from suppression, be it real or imagined.

As for data in support of positions, I'll give you links to studies from both sides.
    http://www.brennancenter.org/publication/challenge-obtaining-voter-identification
    http://www.propublica.org/article/everything-youve-ever-wanted-to-know-about-voter-id-laws
    http://www.heritage.org/research/lecture/2013/07/requiring-photographic-identification-by-voters-in-north-carolina

This is one of those issues where both sides are correct at the start but then both take it too far. There is nothing unreasonable about requiring better identification or taking steps to ensure the right to vote is not impeded. Opposing either goal, or pushing only one and not the other, is an inherently anti-Democratic and anti-American act.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

I bet they have an ID to cash their gubment check. Of course I imagine according to Eric Holder it is racist to ask a minority for ID when cashing an entitlement check.

Contrary to some of my earlier claims, I am not a black, unwed mother of three illegitimate children. And I'm really not on welfare.

But it isn't always as easy to get an ID as you might think.

Observe:
    In Indiana, you have to present fours forms of ID to get a Driver's License.
    One- Document proving your identity
    The most common documents that you can use to prove your identity include:

United States birth certificate. Must be an original or certified copy filed with a U.S. state or territory office of vital statistics or equivalent agency in your state of birth. Puerto Rican-born citizens must provide a birth certificate issued on or after July 1, 2010.
    United States passport.
    Foreign passport with a VISA and I-94 form.
    Consular Report Of Birth Abroad.

If you do not have your birth certificate in your possession, you need to contact your state or county Department of Health office of the state of your birth and request an original or certified copy. Some states may take up to five months to process duplicate birth certificates

Two- Document Proving your SS number
    The full list of documents proving your Social Security number includes:

Social Security card.
    W-2 form.
    SSA-1099 form.
    Non-SSA-1099 form.
    Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it.
    Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security number.

Three - Document Proving your lawful status
    In most cases, the document that you present to prove your identity will also prove your lawful status in the United States. The most common documents that you can use to prove your lawful status include:

United States birth certificate. Must be an original or certified copy filed with a U.S. state or territory office of vital statistics or equivalent agency in your state of birth. Puerto Rican-born citizens must provide a birth certificate issued on or after July 1, 2010.
    United States passport.
    Foreign passport with a VISA and I-94 form.
    Consular Report Of Birth Abroad.

Four- Proving Indiana Residency (this requires two of the following)
    The most common documents proving your Indiana residency include:

Computer-generated bill from a utility company, credit card company, doctor, or hospital, issued within 60 days of the date you visit a license branch and containing your name and address of residence.
    Bank statement.
    Pre-printed pay stub.
    Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement.

Post office boxes may not be used as an address of residence.

Imagine that you moved to Indiana and in the two week period while you were getting your home set up, your out of state license expired. And you don't have a passport.

The easiest thing to do is to renew your old license in the state you just left.

Or, you can get a Passport (which is easier than getting the IN driver's license) and make your way down that path.

If I made $10 an hour and worked 18 hours a week at the Hardee's, I'd personally say F-it. Don't need a license, cause I'm never going to have a car. And sure don't need to vote.

I'm all for voter suppression. I personally think that only land owners should be allowed to vote. And their vote should we weighted based on the amount of property tax they pay. (Netted against the average Federal disbursements to their state)

NC (90% of my family is buried there- and I expect to be buried there too someday) is renown for voter suppression. My father well remembered seeing people of color quizzed about how many bubbles were contained in a bar of soap. Or having literacy requirements that asked someone to read the bill of rights, and once taken back; they were asked to write it.

This is why the voter's rights act required several southern states to receive advance approval to change their rules. Past bad acts.

So this challenge by the Federal government is almost preordained.

We shall see where it winds up.

Oh, and I think all districts should have no more than 10 sides and all boundaries should be straight lines connected by 90degree intersections unless a natural boundary (like a river) defines one border. In which case the district shall have no more than 6 sides.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Take a close look at whom blacks vote into office; maybe some suppression would be a good thing! [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only votes that are going to be suppressed are the illegal ones. We had numerous incidents of voter fraud in NC in the last few elections all were democrats.

I have no problem with the ID, heck I would have no problem with on land owners/tax payers being able to vote or an election site/citizenship test to be able to vote. You have to pass a test to drive why not to vote. The reason we have the representatives we have now is due to ignorant voters, fraudulent voters and people voting for more handouts.

Look at the votes for raising property taxes over consumption tax. 9 out of 10 time the raise in property tax passes each time because the voters don't pay property tax(or at last think they don't).
    RLTW

• Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    The only votes that are going to be suppressed are the illegal ones. We had numerous incidents of voter fraud in NC in the last few elections all were democrats.

I have no problem with the ID, heck I would have no problem with on land owners/tax payers being able to vote or an election site/citizenship test to be able to vote. You have to pass a test to drive why not to vote. The reason we have the representatives we have now is due to ignorant voters, fraudulent voters and people voting for more handouts.

Look at the votes for raising property taxes over consumption tax. 9 out of 10 time the raise in property tax passes each time because the voters don't pay property tax(or at last think they don't).

How many and where?

I was twisted up about it as well until I started researching those two questions.[:I]
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC, I have always had to show my drivers license to vote.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    475 cases of voter fraud in NC

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/06/report-475-cases-of-alleged-voter-fraud-in-nc-from-2008-2012/

That is not really a big deal but those are the ones they know about.

Again I look at who is upset; The liberals so it must be a good thing.
    I have been showing my ID for something or other all my life. To cash a check buy beer, drive a car, get on an airplane, use a credit card to include an EBT card so why not to vote? The only reason is because they want to cheat and have been cheating for a long time.

The biggest voter fraud happening is in the old folks homes and mental institutions. The democrats send in vote hustlers and get the curb side vote or absentee votes from people who don't even know what day it is.

These are all facts and have been documented, look it up.

Here is NC you can bet if that fat pile Rev Barber and his NAACP goons along with all the lefty liberal trash in Carboro are for it, this hillbilly is against it[}:)] So bring on the voter ID.
    RLTW

• Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yea your right, we shouldn't need IDs to get jobs or conduct busness as we all do. Guess I don't need one to buy ALCOHOL, CIGS, GETTING A JOB, BUY A GUN, WAIT WHAT DO WE NEED D FOR?? You say we don't need it to vote so I guess what I mentioned you wouldn't need it for that either. How bout if your bank didn't ask for ID?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656

Yea your right, we shouldn't need IDs to get jobs or conduct busness as we all do. Guess I don't need one to buy ALCOHOL, CIGS, GETTING A JOB, BUY A GUN, WAIT WHAT DO WE NEED D FOR?? You say we don't need it to vote so I guess what I mentioned you wouldn't need it for that either. How bout if your bank didn't ask for ID?

So you are just going to ignore the part where I agree with you and pretend it isn't there?

Okay, have fun with that [:D]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in NC. I've been in every corner of the state at one time or another. Not many places where polling places are not totally controlled by Democrats. No doubt that there were times when voters were intimidated, by DEMOCRATS. Now they are against people proving that are eligible to vote, because of how in the past they were able to control the vote by their own fraudulent practices. They know the illegals are voting in many places, for THEM.

So NC has a Republican Gov. and legislature for only a couple times in the last hundred years doesn't mean a lot, when dimowits have been imbedded in every part of state government and always work for the Dims, not the people. My own State Senator, a Chapel Hill Dimolib, ( I didn't vote for the beech) just resigned! because she said she couldn't get anything done. Duh. When they control everything, the Dims hardly even let the elected Republicans in the building.
    So on and on goes the see-saw, the people screwed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    I live in NC. I've been in every corner of the state at one time or another. Not many places where polling places are not totally controlled by Democrats. No doubt that there were times when voters were intimidated, by DEMOCRATS. Now they are against people proving that are eligible to vote, because of how in the past they were able to control the vote by their own fraudulent practices. They know the illegals are voting in many places, for THEM.

So NC has a Republican Gov. and legislature for only a couple times in the last hundred years doesn't mean a lot, when dimowits have been imbedded in every part of state government and always work for the Dims, not the people. My own State Senator, a Chapel Hill Dimolib, ( I didn't vote for the beech) just resigned! because she said she couldn't get anything done. Duh. When they control everything, the Dims hardly even let the elected Republicans in the building.
    So on and on goes the see-saw, the people screwed.

Jim, Now the Republicans will be running the polling stations and the democrats will be sitting out in the rain. The party who is in the Gov. mansion is the one that runs the polling stations.

I feel for you. That libtard you had as a state Senator was one of the "moral" Monday idiots. I am hoping these republicans can get stuff done and fix some of the problems the libtards have caused.
    RLTW

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How will these poor, hapless souls (who lack the wherewithal to secure an ID for voting purposes) ever manage to negotiate the many roadblocks imposed by BOs healthcare law?
    This must make BOcare the most oppressive, racist law ever signed by a president.
    Arrivederci gigi