In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Law traps deer hunter

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
PITTSBURGH - A man who hunted deer on his own property will spend 15 years in federal prison because he was a convicted felon, and therefore not allowed to possess a gun.

Jack C. Altsman, 43, of Beaver Falls, received the mandatory sentence Friday from U.S. District Judge Terrence McVerry.

McVerry said he had "great difficulty" in imposing the mandatory sentence after Altsman said he didn't realize hunting was illegal for him.

"I wasn't in a bank with an automatic weapon. I wasn't carjacking someone ... I wasn't in a bar with a gun," Altsman said. "I was hunting."

Prosecutors said Altsman had two felony burglary convictions before he was seen by deputy state game commissioners hunting on property he owned in Hovey Township on Nov. 26, 2001.

Altsman had pleaded guilty in November to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He said he didn't challenge the charges for fear that he would spend more time in prison if he was convicted at trial.

Under the guidelines, a sentence of at least 15 years was mandatory.

shoot2.gif
Where there is no vision,the people perish!

Comments

• Options
    powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    [}:)]Seems like a miscarriage of justice to me. It may be the letter of the law, but I don't think it was the intent.[}:)][xx(]

But being a felon I guess he should have made it his buisiness to know.[V]

fc3cdbfd.gif

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • Options
    snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good god the man was on his own property
    what happened to our laws that they can come on to your property and hassle you

another miscarrage of justice
    just like no knock warrents

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpg
  • Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I think if I was a convicted fellon facing 15 yrs I wouldn't be hunting in the first place and Id damn sure know if I was allowed to or not. The guy could have bow hunted if he wanted, just not with a gun. However, I do not agree with any law that restricts a mans right to keep and bear arms even if he spent time in jail and was convicted of a felony. You can get tagged as a fellon for traffic violations for crisakes. Besides, if a man does his time and is released then his debt to society is paid. Otherwise it is a life sentence. If he cannot be trusted to own a gun then he should not be trusted to be released back to society.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have challenged their right to come on his property. What was their probable cause to approach him on his own land? They THOUGHT he was doing something wrong? Overturned on appeal with a good lawyer and a few TV stations.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?