In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

not feeling the best

wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
too much time in the sun today, yardwork and garden. to top it all off i decided to repot my hens and chickens. boy that was a bad mistake, didnt know so many ants could live in that size of a pot. i pulled up a clum and noticed what appeared to be rice. "what the fu,," and the little biting bastiches swarmed me. it didnt feel like they were biting but now i have little burning itching spots all over my arm and hand. think ill take a couple of benedryl and see if that helps.

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the little red ones can make some people sick. The ones around here have a chemical smell to them.
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    yeah, these were tiny little black(i think)ones and they put off a pungent odor when i crushed their little a55es
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wlfmn323
    yeah, these were tiny little black(i think)ones and they put off a pungent odor when i crushed their little a55es

Yep, that smell is formic acid. They use it for self defense. Benedryl should help.

The little black ones are hell on the rootlets of plants. They like potted ones, like you've seen. They can also make brown spots in lawns. It looks like a patch that isn't gettin' sufficient water, turnin' brown. But if those little buggers are seen in the lawn, then treatin' with an appopriate insecticide spray will revive those brown areas.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too much sun Sat had me feeling bad till this Morning. Just flat drained me.

But those ants would have put me down. Got hit by fire ants in Calif as a Kid. Now just one bite and I swell up like Black Widow or something had bitten me.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    just drown the suckers if you notice anymore of them.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1