In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

organic pesticide, where do I get it??

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I heard of the "Bt" (bacillus thuringiensis) and would prefer to use this as opposed to sevin dust. Does anyone know what chain stores might sell it?? Also, what brand name does it appear under?

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I heard of the "Bt" (bacillus thuringiensis) and would prefer to use this as opposed to sevin dust. Does anyone know what chain stores might sell it?? Also, what brand name does it appear under?

I am almost 100% organic. Although at first sprout, because of the problems with grubbs and Monarch caterpillers, I do hit the area with 7 dust. However I use nothing else after that except DE..Diatomaceous Earth. It works.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most garden supply stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Southern states. Works good on caterpillars, worms. We use it on cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Does not really work on insects. like potato bugs, Japanese beetles, etc. It is actually a biological control- a disease that cabbage worms catch and die.
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86

I am almost 100% organic. Although at first sprout, because of the problems with grubbs and Monarch caterpillers, I do hit the area with 7 dust. However I use nothing else after that except DE..Diatomaceous Earth. It works.

Yep. Cheaper and it effectively clogs and ruptures their respiratory systems. Nails the book lungs on eight-legged critters, too.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Get a cheap pouch of chewing tobacco or a can of snuff, soak in water for a day or so, strain out tobacco, spray on.

Nicotine is the primary ingredient in most organic pesticides
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nictotine is indeed used for several purposes- but there are other things as well. Have used Neem oil for potato bugs, and does a good job for aphids and black spot on roses.

I can remember when I was a kid, older folks used "Paris Green" on the potatoes. Arsenic based. [:0]
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Cayenne Repellent Spray Concentrate
    (out of Texas Parks and Wildlife Magazine)

One unpeeled onion
    one unpeeled head of garlic
    one tablespoon cayenne pepper
    three pints water

chop and combine
    simmer twenty minutes
    coll and store in jar
    refrigerate (will keep for month or more)

one tablespoon to a pint of water in a spray bottle, add a few drops of liquid soap

shake gently and spray directly on plants

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    survivalist86, what all does it control?? I am just trying to keep low maintanance without killing off the honey bees with sevin dust. I saw the DE at the lowes on lunchbreak and wondered how good it was.

shootertutor, What all does this concoction work on?? I have the ingrediants and a sprayer,..soooo no big problem.

We are currently trying to fence in this 15'x80' garden beacuse the rabbits are stubborn and the kids don't necessarily want to see me kill them (cept my son[;)]). Not to mention the neighbors might get a little nervy when they hear 22's going off.[:0]
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Organic Insecticide

Fly-swatter.jpg
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Have used a 50/50 solution of reallime and water on Tomato plants for whitefly and aphids,along with Marigolds planted around the perimeter.

And applications of Cayenne pepper applied directly to Cabbage while the head is forming.

That pepper spray recipe used heavily outside the fence might work on the rabbits too.

DE is the bomb!

Allen
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    survivalist86, what all does it control?? I am just trying to keep low maintanance without killing off the honey bees with sevin dust. I saw the DE at the lowes on lunchbreak and wondered how good it was.

shootertutor, What all does this concoction work on?? I have the ingrediants and a sprayer,..soooo no big problem.

We are currently trying to fence in this 15'x80' garden beacuse the rabbits are stubborn and the kids don't necessarily want to see me kill them (cept my son[;)]). Not to mention the neighbors might get a little nervy when they hear 22's going off.[:0]

DE works on about everything above ground...I do not think it bothers bees.
    Do not use tobacco juice on Maters....you risk spreading tobacco mosaic virus to them. The catch it easily, and I do not think there is an economical fix for it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    Get a cheap pouch of chewing tobacco or a can of snuff, soak in water for a day or so, strain out tobacco, spray on.

Nicotine is the primary ingredient in most organic pesticides

I wouldn't do that to your tomatoes. A lot of tobacco has the Tobacco Mosaic Virus that will croak off your maters. Just an FYI. You are right that it does work well on other plants though.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Organic Insecticide

Fly-swatter.jpg

That's funny right there[:D]
    edited November -1
    Well, the neighbors and I agree we will be trying diatamaceous earth first off. We have sucessfuly fenced it in with some free fencing we found and now for the bug treatment. We are all in agreement to save the honey bees and lady bugs as much as possible, and not use poisons unless it is the last ditch effort.

I hope to post photos if/when the sweet corn, lettuce, and cantelopes finally bust through the soil,..it has been 9 days, so we figure maybe in the next week we should see some emergence.