In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope Reticle opinions - Leupold

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Midway is having a sale on Leupold scopes. Given my fading eyesight and all the praise I've seen on these forums, I'm considering investing. The two types offered are the standard duplex and the German #4.

I've always had the plain cross hair / duplex types, but the #4 looks intriguing. Any thoughts on this? Advantages / disadvantages? I realize this is very much a matter of personal preference, but I'd be interested in yours.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teak, my personal fav is the plex or heavy plex. Old eyes can see it even in the fading light of the last few minutes of hope for a shot. For me it shows up as well as the illuminated reticles which JustC likes. The dot shows up fine, but really does not seem to aid in aiming (though I have only had a chance to play with one in a back yard, not in the elk woods). Don't over look Burris![}:)]

He Dog
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear tell that the German #4 works pretty well,...But a heavy duplex will be just as useable in low light. It is the braketing effect that makes a good low light hunter,..the target style crosshairs are non-existent at the time when the "majority" of meat shots are taken. that is unless of course you purchase one with the extra feature.........[:p]

......and he said unto them,..(click) let there be light[^][;)]

The burris signature with the e-dot illuminated reticle works both ways. It has a thick crosshair as well as the lighted dot,..best of both worlds.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?