In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BOAT advice (Update)

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Well I have been without for almost 6yrs now[:(] and I have the bug bigtime[B)] I found a guy who needs to move a boat and can prolly be talked down,..how much I don't know.

Here is the deal:
20' 1992 Key west with small cuddy cabin
1992 150hp Mariner (havn't fired it up yet) looks good under the cover
trailer with new tires, surge breaks, and power winch (don't know if they need work)
Has internal fuel tank and oil tank with water filter mounted to the stern inside.

The boat has been sitting under the pine trees for 7yrs, and he stated he only took it out 2x and his wife didn't like it. It needs a serious cleaning up and cleaning out. I hit the power trim and it went up and down just fine. The gas guage jumped right up when I turned on the ignition as did the volt meter.

I would be taking a risk on the motor, and don't really want to jump into a money pit right now (rather do an addition). However, the engine is CLEAN inside the cover,...looks like low hours for it's age.

NADA puts boat/motor/trailer at ~$3500, but that is considering one that doesn't need this much TLC. He is asking $3000. I have the power washer and chemicals to get the hull half decent and can do the work myself and with friends, been around the water all my life, even worked on the water. What would you offer???? I was thinking no more than $1500 as she sits right now.[?] He isn't using it and is moving from the house where she sits.

Comments

• D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have got it figured out. That's exactly what I would offer. I wouldn't go a penny over $1750.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I don't really know, but I think you'd be hard pressed to lose at that price.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, as we all know,..the motor is the most expensive part. The hull can easily be cleaned up and out,...but if that motor craps out, then you are left with a 17yr old 20' hull and trailer. I have had to pay to have an outboard rebuilt,..to the tune of $4000,..so as you can see,...I need to get this thing on the cheap if I am taking the chance.
    edited November -1
    After sitting for that long the carbs are definitely going to have to be taken apart and cleaned/rebuilt. The power pack may have corroded and may have to be replaced. Take a gamble and buy it like it is, don't even try to crank it up. Or, get it running for him and then you'll have to offer more 'cause it's running.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    B reak
    O ut
    A nother
    T housand.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    +1 Carbs will be varnished. If it has any gas in it take it out and put fresh in and a whole bottle of sea foam of course after you Atleast clean the carbs. Get a muff and hook up the garden hose and see if it will run. You may want to check the plugs and replace if needed, they are expensive too.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Please not this in your calender for a year from today:

Doug says: Get a different boat.

Doug
    edited November -1
    Doug,..You owned one I take it??
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote: he stated he only took it out 2x and his wife didn't like

did he buy it new? If he did, and the motors only seen a few hours use that would make a big difference to me.
    like others have said, i wouldn't fire up the motor until you clean all the old gas out and tuned it up.
    If he bought it new, I would go as high as $2000 for it, but no more.
    remember, it books at $3500 but no one is getting book value this year.
    tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    quote: he stated he only took it out 2x and his wife didn't like

did he buy it new? If he did, and the motors only seen a few hours use that would make a big difference to me.
    like others have said, i wouldn't fire up the motor until you clean all the old gas out and tuned it up.
    If he bought it new, I would go as high as $2000 for it, but no more.
    remember, it books at $3500 but no one is getting book value this year.
    tom

Tom, from what I understand, he bought it from the first owner who took good care of it. The motor looks clean,..but that don't mean much.

How hard is it to flush/clean/rebuilt outboard carbs?? anyone know??
    edited November -1
    Sitting for 7 years means it will probably need more than just a cleaning, but try it. May need a kit put in. Definitely do the seafoam in the tank with fresh fuel. Is it oil injected or is it mixed in the tank?
    edited November -1
    oil injected w/inboard tank.

just talked to the guy who turned me onto it,..said the owner has had it for 7yrs, it has only been under the tree (sitting) for 2yrs. makes me feel a little better.
  • wvduecewvduece Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would really be worried about the gas in the boat for that long unless he burned the old gas out when he parked it if he didnt burn the old gas out all that oil will be settled on everything when i had boats i always when i pulled it out of the water at end of summer run the motor out of gas so the oil wont crystlize on the plugs n every where in the motor be careful they can look clean as a pin till ya start running them jb
  • turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the transom from the inside where motor is held for rot it's 18 years old
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Having owned a 67 Sea Ray for a number of years- my folks bought it new- I can say that old boats can be finicky. That was a 4 cycle engine though.

Water pump might be dry rotted. Hopefully it was fogged or otherwise well stored after the last use.

If it were me I'd check the hoses/belts, buy a big tupperware storage chest to drop the motor in or a hose adaptor, disconnect the fuel line and splice it into a temporary source, open up the carb and clean it up, then see if it would fire up. Fire extinguishers on standby.

If it runs ok, $2000. If not, less.

Now if it were a well kept boat, clean inside and out, maybe $3k.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The smartest thing I ever heard said about a boat......

"Buy a friend a boat and BORROW it from time to time....its a lot less trouble and less expensive than HAVING a boat."
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two happist days with a boat was the day I bought it and the day I sold it
    edited November -1
    One word ......DONT
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    You should have a good look at the transom and the stringers. If
    water has pooled, you could easily have dry root in places you likely
    won't want to be pouring money into. If the engine has not run in
    seven years, Just getting it going will likely be the inexpensive
    part. Keeping it running reliably will be another matter. I am
    not implying don't buy it. What I am saying is you may well spend
    a lot more than you think you will. Boats are where a lot of my money
    ends up going. And it is always expensive. I do all repairs and maintenance my self.

If you like boating as much as I do. Don't let fear and common sense
    deter ya.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    2 words... COMPRESSION test!!
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Well if it is only two years you might be a bit better off. 1992 should be an EFI motor. Probably the mercery equivalent of the Black Max or later version. Depending on cylinders will determine the number of carbs. Only carb I ever rebuilt was off a 1948 john deere A so I can not speak to the ease of it. But you might just get lucky, try taking the bowls off and spraying them down with carb cleaner. Sea foam the hell out of it after that.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    B reak
    O ut
    A nother
    T housand.

Amen Brother!

+1 I am now a friggin' boat mechanic. I bought someone else's headache for a steal, but it cost a little to get it reliable.

I am not the brightest guy though so I would take advantage of the opp.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get it checked out and make sure you put it in the water and run it before putting down any $$$$, you may be able to scrub the sap off of it, but I'm sure the gel-coat is heavily oxidized, they do that when you leave them in the weather and don't care for them. When was the last time he ran it? It might be okay, or it might not be okay.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chrishiher
    +1 Carbs will be varnished. If it has any gas in it take it out and put fresh in and a whole bottle of sea foam of course after you Atleast clean the carbs. Get a muff and hook up the garden hose and see if it will run. You may want to check the plugs and replace if needed, they are expensive too.

Yes whole fuel system will be full of crap. From experience of buying the boat that sat around and didn't get used. It is much better to get the boat that has been used more.

The boat that sits has build up on everything. Right down to the oil in the engine. If this boat sat for any amount of time you should replace all of the fuel lines. This may be tedious but worth it.

You will be putting fresh gas in this system, the 10% ethanol in the gas will eat all of the crap built up in the tank and the lines and what makes it past the fuel filter will build up in your carb.

So replace lines hook it up to the hose and then run the seafoam gas throught the system till the filter is somewhat clean. Then you can clean the carb.

If you have been around boats you probably know most or all of this. 90% of problems with idle boats is in the fuel systems.

I was lied to about my boat with the whole trouble free boating add, new this and new that!

I wish you luck!

OH yeah! stating the obvious.If your wife isn't into the whole idea, run away from it, If she doesn't want a boat then she isn't gonna be patient with the time it is going to take you to get it running cherry.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    cheapest way out of it for you would be to take it to an outboard mechanic and for you to pay to get it looked at..they should also give the hull itself a good look for you as well...they will here anyway..don`t tell them what you can get it for, or who owns it...don`t tell the owner that you are getting it checked out...unless he agrees to pay for for the checkout if it comes back as being a piece of crap. if he wants to know exactly whats wrong with it, hand him the bill!

you might be onto a real good deal...then again,you might be volunteering for a massive head ache as most here have said.
    edited November -1
    update

went by the marine mechanic's this afternoon. He stated that rebuilding the carbs, replacing water pump, replacing fuel pump, replacing trailer breaks etc would run ~$1000 He also stated he would do the compression test and a good fogging before he even attempted to run it.

Motor was run last time in 07'

Key West boat hulls are ALL fiberglass,..no wood to dryrot[^]

Gel coat underneath the debris looks like it might come-up with some diligent scrubbing and buffing.

Oh,..and don't worry, if he won't let me get it checked out, on my dime at that, then no way I want to even look at it any further.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    update

went by the marine mechanic's this afternoon. He stated that rebuilding the carbs, replacing water pump, replacing fuel pump, replacing trailer breaks etc would run ~$1000 He also stated he would do the compression test and a good fogging before he even attempted to run it.

Motor was run last time in 07'

Key West boat hulls are ALL fiberglass,..no wood to dryrot[^]

Gel coat underneath the debris looks like it might come-up with some diligent scrubbing and buffing.

Oh,..and don't worry, if he won't let me get it checked out, on my dime at that, then no way I want to even look at it any further.

Almost sounds like a steal!![:)]
    edited November -1
    Yeah Eric,..I don't need a money pit right now[B)] But I have been on the water all my life, and right now with trophy rockfish season just ending, and bait fishing getting ready to start,..plus a few offshore charters scheduled,..I am REALLY GETTING that bug again.

The mechanic said that my description of the engines exterior condition was a good thing (no corrosion under the engine cover or on the hydraulic lift cylinders etc), so the internals was the only concern.

he did state that with the new E10 gas,..that it is so aggressive it will find and release any and all varnish in the entire system directly into the engine,...so getting the carbs etc spotless was a must. He said since jan 08', when E10 came out, 75% of his work since then is directly related to problems caused by E10 gas.

I want to get the boat to him so that if it runs perfect after a cleaning etc, I can still bargain with the owner. he is supposedly in his 60's now, and the wife nor he care to use it. I shall see what bargaining power I have after a check by the mechanic. I also have to wait for the guys property to dry out before I can get the truck back there to haul it out.
    edited November -1
    Yeah Eric,..I don't need a money pit right now[B)] But I have been on the water all my life, and right now with trophy rockfish season just ending, and bait fishing getting ready to start,..plus a few offshore charters scheduled,..I am REALLY GETTING that bug again.

The mechanic said that my description of the engines exterior condition was a good thing (no corrosion under the engine cover or on the hydraulic lift cylinders etc), so the internals was the only concern.

he did state that with the new E10 gas,..that it is so aggressive it will find and release any and all varnish in the entire system directly into the engine,...so getting the carbs etc spotless was a must. He said since jan 08', when E10 came out, 75% of his work since then is directly related to problems caused by E10 gas.
    I want to get the boat to him so that if it runs perfect after a cleaning etc, I can still bargain with the owner. he is supposedly in his 60's now, and the wife nor he care to use it. I shall see what bargaining power I have after a check by the mechanic. I also have to wait for the guys property to dry out before I can get the truck back there to haul it out.

That was it for me,fuel system, now my idle boat is idling![:D]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    yeah, he'll have to fog it to be sure of no stuck rings, otherwise the comp. check will be way off.The 150 v-6 is considered a small bore V-6, the comp.should be around 90 psi, what's more important, is that they all be within a few lb. of each other, in order to idle smoothly.
    I hope it all works out. If it has always been in fresh water, it should still give U years of good boating.
  • bamafanbamafan Member Posts: 4,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as the motor goes, those Mariners are a real decent motor. Just sold one (94 model) that didn't have a problem at all. Shouldn't cost a thousand to get it running though. Unless it's seen some seriuos salt water use(then I'd run away from it). My boat mechanic only charges 30 bucks to do a carb job, and that's with a couple of gaskets included. Water pump change is a must. That shouldn't cost no more than 50-75 bucks, including the pump & labor. Also, check out the lower unit, make sure it hasn't been run dry (no oil).
    edited November -1
    Hey guys,..I live on the Delmarva Peninsula,..right between the chesapeake bay and the atlantic ocean. I doubt she has ever been offshore in real salt water, but she has no doubt been in the bay in lesser salt water all her life.

rememer, that qoute was for carbs, water pump, fuel pump, and new breaks on the trailer. I would do it myself if I was confident I could do outboards,..but they just aren't in my area of knowledge.

as long as she would show compression correctly,..I would say she was good-to-go wouldn't you??
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I don't really know, but I think you'd be hard pressed to lose at that price.

you have never had work done on an outboard apperantly, you could lose alot because the sum of parts far exceeds the price of the unit. a lower end costs more than the whole boat.
    Now Mariner engines have a tough reputation for reliability, they are the cheap end outboard.
    we talked about all the hole in the water expenses associated with boat ownership (I am always amazed how much damage water does to a boat)
    the hardest thing on a boat is for it to "just sit" scary things are internal tanks that havn't been used (when they fail, the repair is intense.) cables rust, electrical wires corrode and break, water gets into wooden stringers, frames and structural supports.
    I have the boat bug myself and I am seeing a lot of boats that have sat lately. I have so far, resisted the urge to buy one.
    I think I said last time, I was given a boat and even that wasn't cheap enough to maker it worth repairing.
    So my advise is to buy a boat you know works well, if you can't do sea trials today, it is a project and will no doubt lead to expensive unplanned repairs. the worst thing that could happen is it sits under your tree because the repairs cost too much.
    The rule is, if you can't afford it, don't buy a boat they are a rich mans toy.
    On the other hand, that seems like a screamin deal. I am not familier with Key west brand but replacing the trailer is a 2000 bill and a mariner 150 probably runs 4500?
  • bamafanbamafan Member Posts: 4,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC, yes, good compression is a must. I would also take a look at the lower unit. Spin the prop a turn or two. If there is no "grinding noises", probably all is good. To have work done on the foot would cost serious money. Wouldn't hurt to change the fluid there as well. Other than these two things, all else is simple to take care of.

As far as the quote he gave you, just seems a little high to me. If your comfortable with paying his quoted price, by all means, go ahead.

As far as the boat goes, Key West boats are a very good boat. All fiberglass means years of no worry, (as long as you don't run across something to crack it.)

For $1500 or so, you can't go wrong, in my opinion. Spend no more than a $1000 to get it running. And if you get tired of it in a few years, turn around and sell it for what you have in it.
    edited November -1
    the offer of $1500 was made,..and also stated we wanted to carry it to a mechanic first. we shall see

if not, no big deal, the folks have a 25' grady white[:D]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dude run it and check compression then buy it or not
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may have been said already, but the two happiest days of a man's life are the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells it. That was true in my case too. But it is fun when you got one. Go for it.
  • rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the offer of $1500 was made,..and also stated we wanted to carry it to a mechanic first. we shall see

if not, no big deal, the folks have a 25' grady white[:D]

Your folks have a 25' Grady White, and you're thinking of buying a boat? Have you lost your mind?
    edited November -1
    Hey, sometimes you wanna take out the wife without the folks[;)]