In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are The Short Mags Gonna Last or NOT?

cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
Do you think any of the new short mags will stand the test of time? I don't own any, but have sighted in a 270 wsm for a friend. I can't justify one for myself in the current offerings, it seems the WSM's are winning the race against Remington and the SAUM's. I am not saying they're no good, just that they're no better than existing calibers and will only serve to confuse the already confused first time buyers.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm confused...[?]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cletus85: I do believe that they will be around for some time,reason is that these rounds work better in short barreled rifles, "20 to 22 in" due to there short and slightly smaller powder stack that is burned at a quicker rate than the longer mag cases, making it possible to have a lighter, shorter rifle for easier carry.

Not saying that the longer ones, "300win mag" are not better in a longer barrel "26in or longer" than the short ones, 300WSM in the same 26in barrel.

Velocity is not gained when the short round is fired in the long barrel where the longer case will produce more with the extra length to burn the larger powder charge. It is all about volume of the case.

In short, the short mags work better in short barreled rifles and the long mags in long barreled rifles.

There is a down side to these new rounds, they have shown to cause more throat errosion then the long belted mags, due to there short neck to fat case size, causing more turbulance in the first inch or so of the barrel. Winchester is now plating barrels of these carts. to help stop this.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now they are a fad. Time will tell. They are more effeciant but something just don't feel right with them.

Politicians are like diapers, every so often you need to change them, for obvious reasons.
  • Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a post on 8/28 by hughes1 on this subject . My views are posted there . Haven't figured out how to insert things yet . To busy finishing a cold one to retype . My pointer finger would take a beating . [:D]

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Naw, they'l never last, they will be a big flop like the .17 Hmr, nobodys going to buy them!!!![:p]

pacamo

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, like the .17, everyone needs a fly swatter for somethun'.[:D] Us real men will be using the pocket hurting, shoulder thumpin', real man's gun for the long haul. More powder, insert a Tool Man grunt or two here.[;)]

marinesega2.jpg
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Naw, they will be just like belted cases, puters and Microwave ovens. a flash in the pan.[V][V]
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    robsguns, Between you an aglore ya'll gave me enough crap over my little 17 and my other "pea shooters" up to the 25-06 that I went and got me a 300SAUM!!! Don't really need it here but it is a shooter! So I guess I'll have to use it a little! I'll bet those 125 grain Noslers will be "Ultimate Devastation" on varmints!!!! GHD
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD, a .300 magnum?!?![:0] My god what happened to you[V]

GHD is now lost in the super magnum gang, may he rest in peace(with a busted shoulder)

Politicians are like diapers, every so often you need to change them, for obvious reasons.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We finaly got GHD to come over to the Dark Side[}:)][:D]

They will be here to stay,..do to their accuracy potential. Also,..all the guys who complain about heavy rifles,..but want a magnum,..will give them a try. There have been a lot sold,..but not a lot up for sale,.....tell you something?

My local shop now orders all brands of rifles in the short mags,..as well as the belted mags.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?