In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scopes question.

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I have been looking at Cabelas scopes (Cabela brand). The prices are very good, but have any of you had one? Hows the quality?
Was looking at a 4-9x40 for a 22-250.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are of reasonably good quality for the price range. With optics, you get what you pay for, so $500 scopes really are better than $70 scopes. For the price range they are acceptable. Likely you are better off to save a little longer and buy a higher quality scope. Does it make sense to pay $500 for a rifle and then handicap it and yourself with a $40 scope? Take a look at Burris, Nikon, and Leupold. Try www.bearbasin.com Good Shooting!
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just what he dog said,Remember only a rich man can afford a cheap scope.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Agree, you get what you pay for.

However,I am puzzled about your choice of power range on a 22-250, a 4x9-40mm??????

If this is indeed a rifle and it is going to be used on varmints or targets, then the minimum scope should be a 4x12-40mm, or even better a 4.5x14-50mm.

Just my opinion

Boomer

Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daddo You need to stop looking in catalogs, haul yourself into a shop that has a wide range of scopes. handle all the diferent lines and when you look thru them do it out a window at somthing thats 2-300 yards away (good shops will have a dummy stock to mount the different scopes on for test lookers) Thats the only way to see the diferance in quality. You get what you pay for.
    My favorite ? HTTP://www.shepherdscopes.com/

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could do like I did. And by the way this was not intentional. I bought a cheap $50 Tasco that was supposed to go on a .22. But due to the fact that my rem 760 30-06 has got amount the most violent recoil I ever seen and had trashed the scope that was on it I decided to mount this cheapy on it for temp use. I fired 3 shots, ONLY 3! And the scope was junk, couldnt see out of it all after 3 shots, so I sent it back to Tasco with a letter explaing what happened. 6 weeks later I get my scope back from them, well I thought it was mine. They sent me one of their better models with target knobs and adjustable AO in 4-12x40. $50 dollar scope turned into a $100 scope, not a bad deal if you ask me. Now I have not put this thing on the '06 and don't plan to. So far the Nikon I put on it has taken the abuse but every tasco I put on it get the innards knocked loose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep - The 4x12-40 is a good compromise scope. Nikon Monarchs are great scopes.

If you are having to stay with in a budget, think about getting a Weaver V16 4-16X 42mm Matte. Weaver makes a good quality scope that will take the punishment, not that a 22-250 is punishing.

Bear Basin has them on special for $259. http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm#weav_scopes

Boomer

• Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    These weren't the answeres I was hoping for but, I know you are all right. I've saved the money for a year now to get this rifle, guess I shouldn't degrade it with a cheap scope- I'll wait and get a good one.
    A 4-9 is too low too? I'll take your advise and get the 4-12 to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    daddo - Smart Man! I just noticed they had the Weaver Grand Slam 4.5x14-40mm AO on sale $299. That is a very decent scope on any rifle, plus it is fully multi-coated like Nikon Monarch and Leupold Vari-X III series scopes. It has really clear optics. Before you decide on any one scope go to a good gun store and try them out first. If possible look into dark areas of trees and see if you see good detail of the limbs.

Boomer

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    burris 6-24x44 in natchezss.com for approx $450 if I recall correctly. Great clarity and holds up to recoil on every magnum I've put them on.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!