In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington "J" locks - opinions

BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Are all of the new Remingtons being made with this? I see it on the new rifles/even shotguns. Is this a marketing tool to appease Calf/MA laws??? I personally do not like locking my firearms - other than in a safe - and if I am going out to the range/hunting, I do not want to mess with seperate keys for items otherwise locked in my rig.... I see alot of the gun rags advertising various locking devices and just cringe thinking they are saying we have to lock them up everywhere/all the time. I lose enough keys - much less a key to my own firearm. They act like somebody will never come up with a way to defeat these locks - there is not a lock made that somebody cant pick.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)

Comments

• 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Blue, I feel the same way. My 700 came with the integral lock, I think they are all coming with them. You can buy an old style bolt housing and swap them out but I just keep mine in the unlocked position and it hasn't been an issue yet.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    I talked to Remington about this at the Shot Show and they said everyone hates them but they had to use up the stock. So I gather they will be phased out. In the mean time Remington will sell replacment parts to enable the J locks removal for 36.00

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARIVING SAFELY IN ONE PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED PIECE, BUT, TO SKID ACROSS THE LINE BROADSIDE, THOUGHRLY USED UP, WORN OUT, LEAKING OIL, SHOUTING GERONIMO!!"
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can buy the shroud to replace it in sinclair catalog.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in New York we are REQUIRED to have a trigger lock on our guns when in transport,I own several New remingtons with this J lock and they do fill the requirment without the hassel of those clam shell trigger locks.The Only thing is you must keep several of the keys with you Because if you forget the lock on you are screwed. This happend to me once and having to sit in the truck while my buddies
    hunted tought me a lesson[V]

use_deer.jpg
  • BuckShotJonBuckShotJon Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure about having to lock your guns in NY? Are you speaking about NY City only?

Also handguns are a caveat to most NY gun laws, travel with them fully loaded, cocked , locked and ready to rock.

Jon
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I take them out of the 870s I get with them. I put in a Jumbo Head Safety from Wilson Combat.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is one of the main reasons I went from over a dozen Remington's to now 3 (all are the older style).
    Unless every single manufacturer is doing this, and/or it is law then I'm going to avoid it.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spend the extra $17 to own the 700rem action. The firing pin has an indent to support the key lock,...but when you eliminate the lock,..the firing pin is the same as the older models. A small inconvenience.......

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?