In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Yep! The inevitable "what next" question

GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Yep, it's another "what's next" question. I've gotten all of my 'must haves' so it's on to the 'would like's. It's kind of a toss up and I suppose they're not high priority right now but I'd like to get some opinions based on my choices. Anybody got any of these? Or what do you think of my choices?Rob Arms M96: Looks pretty nice. Takes AR mags and there's a plentiful supply of them. Seems like they've worked out the bugs from the early models. Someday there might be a belt fed version.Krinkov (5.45x39) Kit/Build: Thought about getting parts and having someone assemble it for me. It would be an interesting variation of the standard AK. However, it's a lot of money to stick into something before it actually becomes a gun.HK USP 40: Haven't bought a pistol in about 12 years and I'd like a nice .40Benelli M3: I'm not big on shotguns but my buddies M1 is a nice shooter and it would compliment my other tactical shotgun.S&W 629: Kind of thought about getting this for white tail deer hunting since my shots are usually in the 50-75 yard range.

Comments

• Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one I have is the 629. I have a clasiic 629 5" barrel. It will do the job. I like my Anaconda better (6" ported barrel and its a Colt). But for carrying the S&W 629 5" was better.
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Glock 22 or 23 for a new 40 cal. Great feel, great reliability. Try renting one and you'll see.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greenlantern - Have owned a 29 in 4" and a 629 in 3". Shot a few deer with the 4". None of them did the Dirty Harry fly-across-the-room-when-hit routine but all were dead within 50 yards of where they were shot and all were shot at distances of 50 yards or less. I don't think you can go wrong with a .44 mag, regardless of which flavor you choose. Extremely versatile caliber.The shotgun you reference is a dandy but you're not likely to use it as much as a pistol or a revolver. Just the nature of the beast. It's not a hunting or trap/skeet shooting weapon. Can't think of anything better for repelling boarders at 3 AM, though. My $.02.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would have to do a serious about-face to get a Glock. I never really liked the feel of them and didn't think they shot any better than other handguns I've tried. I'm not knocking them, they're a great gun, just not for me.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    The .44 should've been on your "Must Have" list. I'd get that one (although I like the Anaconda better).
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't be disappointed with the HK USP 40.But then again, wouldn't you LIKE TO HAVE a Barrett M82 A1 50BMG?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would definately like to have the Barrett! But I that one falls into the Would Like ~ Unrealistic category. No doubt my girlfriend would use it on me for spending that much money on a gun!
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised, given the interest among gun enthusiasts for models like the Uzi carbines and the AK-47 pre-bans, that there hasn't been more attention given the Krinkovs. I first noticed the gun when Bin Laden was seen to carry one, but now I see they've been around Soviet troops for a long time. Apparently, as I understand it, the gun started out as a 7.62x39 which was found to be a little too much cartridge for that size piece, so they tamed it down a bit with the new chambering in the 5.45. I would love to get one built next time I have the spare cash, personally, though I'm not sure yet which caliber I'd choose. Anyway, that so-called flash suppressor isn't one at all -- suppposedly it creates a 3-foot flame with every round shot. Don't ask me why, I just report. I think the Krinkov would be fun if you're looking for something a little unique and unusual. I would not be at all surprised if their popularity increased eventually and you may wish you had bought one when they were cheaper. Who knows?
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised, given the interest among gun enthusiasts for models like the Uzi carbines and the AK-47 pre-bans, that there hasn't been more attention given the Krinkovs. I first noticed the gun when Bin Laden was seen to carry one, but now I see they've been around Soviet troops for a long time. Apparently, as I understand it, the gun started out as a 7.62x39 which was found to be a little too much cartridge for that size piece, so they tamed it down a bit with the new chambering in the 5.45. I would love to get one built next time I have the spare cash, personally, though I'm not sure yet which caliber I'd choose. Anyway, that so-called flash suppressor isn't one at all -- suppposedly it creates a 3-foot flame with every round shot. Don't ask me why, I just report. I think the Krinkov would be fun if you're looking for something a little unique and unusual. I would not be at all surprised if their popularity increased eventually and you may wish you had bought one when they were cheaper. Who knows? Anyway, if you do build one, I'll be the first to ask you exactly what it took, in terms of parts, assembly and money, to get the job done.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got the old "Dirty Harry" model 29 w/6" bbl. Shoots great. Relatively easy to carry as a trail gun. I'd hate to have to lug it around all day in a shoulder holster though.And you talk about "one shot stops" Mudge the armed
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess that one would be a little hard to hide. " Oh this old thing, I've had this for years, I just don't get it out much" Hehehehe