In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.338 Lapua ?

shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
edited October 2002 in General Discussion
any one on the forum have one? i am thinking of getting one and need some info on how they shoot im looking at the Armilit AR-30
thanks

when in doubt EMPTY the MAG

Comments

• Options
    jager22jager22 Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how do you pronounce "Lapua"??
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking it's "lap-wah".

But as for the round, it's a friggin' super-round. It's a small step down from the .50BMG, basically.

If you're gonna get one, make sure you reload for it. Those rounds are verrrrry pricey to buy, even when you can find them.

PS- Go Sako. They're the .338 Lapua masters.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard the pronunciation as: "La-Poo" But don't know if it's right.

I saw the AR-30 write-up in the American Rifleman some months back; it looked interesting.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has one. Is Armalite even producing them yet?
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I've been under the impression that it's the ballistic equivalent to the .340 Weatherby. Carries a LOT of energy downrange.
    I don't know what, if anything, makes the Lapua more desirable than the other big cased .33s (RUM, Lazzeroni, etc.)
    I'm hopeful someone with first hand experience will pop in and let us know.
    Maybe a question for "Ask the Experts".

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Bullz, it's far more than a small step down from the 50 BMG. This 338 Lapua is only the 416 Rigby case necked down and a little bit of shoulder work done to it. This cartridge will not even hold the same powder capacity as the 338-378 WBY It will not even match the 338-378 WBY in velocity. It'll send a 250 grain bullet down range at about 3000 FPS. Better off with the 338 RUM and cheaper factory ammo, they are velocity twins.

AlleninAlaska

http://www.outdoor-o-rama.com

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info

when in doubtEMPTY yhe MAG
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful with the Sako, a guy on another board I frequent, specificaly for long range hunting, has had three stocks in a row break right at the rear of the reciever. The recoil is stout, even in a benchrest weight rifle. I would also go with the suggestion for the 338RUM, as bullets are far cheaper and easier to get, not to mention the suggestion comes from a member(Aglore), who has from what I gather, multitudes of experience with the BIG bores. The 338-378 wthby would be my last choice, only becasue of the belted case. If you are going to put money in a new, long range gun, go non-belted, that's where the big magnums are all headed IMHO, and headspacing issues don't arise as related to the belt, which really only matters if you handload. Just my .02

For the money Sako wants for the rifle, I would seriously look at buying a Nesika Bay or BAT action and having it barreled and bedded in a mcmillan stock. Better rifle, same money......for what it's worth

Good luck with the shoulder

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.